• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski socks vs boot heaters in plug boots?

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Frenchman - I am dependent on using compression socks (along with compression base layers) due to health reasons, but I cannot imagine skiing without compression socks now that I've learned of their benefits whether you have health requirements or not.

I'm wondering how much compression the Lenz 6.0 actually provides as I cannot find a spec for the compression level on their site. I will say that careful and correct installation of normal footbed heaters should not result in any problems with fit and you shouldn't be able to feel any part of it (element or cable). Sidas has begun producing footbeds that are "heat ready" - they allow the element to be installed just under the top layer of the footbed so that you don't need to add any covering over the element. I've actually already been doing that for years by simply peeling back the top layer of the Sidas footbed's forefoot area and installing the heating element between the layers.

The original Sidas heating system used a fairly good sized element, but the rebranded Therm-ic system uses a smaller circular element (similar to Hotronics). I wish there was a larger heating element available that can cover more of the footbed forefoot area.
Lenz 6.0 are compression socks, but not super compressiony (if that's a word). They are thin but not quite as thin as most ultra thin ski socks. They work great for me in a low volume boot (not a plug). Seems like if you need max compression, they probably won't get the job done. Otherwise, they are amazing and worth every .$01

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
update info from GF you have to bare careful with the wiring in the 6.0 in her new atomic STI 130, but it works out. she had play around with rotating it 0.5 cm left and right, but now it works. she has only skied 2 days in them though. but 3-4 hours each of thoose days.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
-14* at the base yesterday AM, I can say with 100% certainty I would not have survived the day without the boot heaters! Thank you Hotronics! :D

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I have a brand new pair of Lenz 6.0 socks with the 1800 batteries. I also have an appointment with Racer's Edge tomorrow to get a new / warmer set of boots. I purchased the "Large" Lenz socks based on my foot size (which is a 9.5 - 10.0 in US sizing) but it does seem a bit on the sloppy side with too much material around the toe area. My plan is to have both my old Sidas foot bed heaters running with the Lenz socks at the same time. Impossible to do in my old boots so the new ones will accommodate everything I need to keep skiing. I'm going to get RE to help me navigate all this.
Apologies for quoting my own post - it's just for context...

I ended up in the Salomon S-Max 130 boot which I really like. Justin at Racer's edge did 3 different toe box adjustments before I had to leave Breck and head up to Whitefish. With the Lenz 6.0 socks they will still need some more room to be viable long term but if I wear my usual Fox River socks (thin) they feel almost perfect. Great Northern in Whitefish has a few guys that are quite competent, so continuing the expansion process isn't a problem - other than having to pay for it which Racer's Edge would have included in the sale.

I really like the performance aspect of these boots, they're a significant improvement over my Tecnica Mach 1's and the instep is a little more forgiving so entry and exit are much easier. So now my dilemma is whether to continue to enlarge them to accommodate thicker socks or just rely on my footbed heaters and the slightly warmer Salomon liners. If so I'm back to sacrificing warmth for performance!

TS
Frenchman

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
@anders_nor and @Fuller, did you find the sizing big? I am a 42 Euro. When I tried the 5.0 socks, I found the L (42-44) to be really big and had big wrinkles on the top of my foot. The M (39-41) seemed to fit me better. I still can't find these socks in the US, so contemplating getting them from Canada where I only found an M, so will be tough to compare.

(Maybe I should just move my heated insoles to the new boots, tape the cables well, and be done until I can actually try sizes next season!)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes quite, I'm in the 42-44 try them in store imho.

but you cant compare 5.0 to 6.0. I wouldnt ski the 5.0 in a plug, probably not at all

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@anders_nor and @Fuller, did you find the sizing big? I am a 42 Euro. When I tried the 5.0 socks, I found the L (42-44) to be really big and had big wrinkles on the top of my foot. The M (39-41) seemed to fit me better. I still can't find these socks in the US, so contemplating getting them from Canada where I only found an M, so will be tough to compare.

(Maybe I should just move my heated insoles to the new boots, tape the cables well, and be done until I can actually try sizes next season!)
As I understand it, the toe portion of the Lenz 6.0 sock is sized for wide feet - it has to be because the heating element doesn't stretch. The rest of the sock is a compression sock. So if you have a narrow foot there will be some extra material in the toe even if the rest of the sock fits.

TS
Frenchman

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
yes quite [big], I'm in the 42-44 try them in store imho.

As I understand it, the toe portion of the Lenz 6.0 sock is sized for wide feet - it has to be because the heating element doesn't stretch. The rest of the sock is a compression sock. So if you have a narrow foot there will be some extra material in the toe even if the rest of the sock fits.

I wish I could try the socks in store... nobody has them. I found *one* pair of socks in size M (39-41) that can be shipped to me, and a pack of 1800 batteries I can get in Canada on my way to Whistler, then bring home... Just to try things. It's complicated :). I am hoping that the 39-41 will make me happy as far as the toe feel, yet notbe too constrictive (after having spent four years in one size too small Dissents, I am sure I can easily tolerate one size less of a less constrictive socks, even I sure like wearing the proper size Dissents now!).

It seems worth trying, though. While I found the feel of the cable pocket of the Sidas okay when trying them inside my boots, I don't know how they would feel skiing (I would use them in plug boots, as well as my AT boots as needed, and maybe also classic and skate skiing boots; that for sure is the appeal of socks vs boot heaters) ... I think I'd rather find something that sidesteps the issue of having anything underfoot entirely. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll take a gamble on the Sidas. They're well made, have light compression, and I actually like the battery attachment system better.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW I emailed Lenz as the small was too big for me and unfortunately, the 6.0 will not be made in an XS - (which would actually fit most 22-23). This would be the thinest sock from what I have sampled. I also looked at the Hotronics and Sidas socks mentioned in this thread, but they are not going to work for me either. I think my issue is that I have a narrow low volume foot and even if the length is right, there will always be too much material.

Last edited:

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in 26.5 Lange World Cup boots (normally wear size 10 in everyday life). Got Lenz 6.0 in size M (went one size down) a couple of weeks ago; did a double-header GS/SL race at Montage this Saturday. The temps were below 0 in the morning, increased to the teens by the afternoon. Spent 7 hours on the hill without taking any breaks, didn't have any issues (and didn't feel cold) at all. The batteries died by the end of the day, but it was only my second time using these, so I am still learning what's the best way to prolong the battery life (what heat level to use etc.). In terms of fit for me they are great, no issues at all.

Also used them during my masters training at Hunt Hollow last Thursday night, when temps were probably in single digits, and they also worked great. Overall, I'm very impressed. I've heard that Hotronics socks (the thin ones) also work well with race boots, but haven't tried them.

TS
Frenchman

Frenchman

Troublemaker
Skier
FWIW I emailed Lenz as the small was too big for me and unfortunately, the 6.0 will not be made in an XS - (which would actually fit most 22-23). This would be the thinest sock from what I have sampled. I also looked at the Hotronics and Sidas socks mentioned in this thread, but they are not going to work for me either. I think my issue is that I have a narrow low volume foot and even if the length is right, there will always be too much material.
Did you look at these Sidas specifically? I found them really good and have a pretty low volume foot for sure.

Jovica

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone have experience with Sidas Ski Heat LV Sock? My son is ski instructor and Level 1 coach so this winter he will spend long hours on the hill.
He is still using his racing boots and LV would probably work the best for him.

Sponsor

Staff online