• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Stiffness - Hero, Whiteout and #1SC Compared

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once upon a time the ski mags tested skis for flex. They did tip and tail too.
Back then i guess what else do you do when everything is basically the same shape.

Torsional rigidity in the shovel and tail as well. And although other characteristics are important also, I find that flex and torsional rigidity (along with rocker/rise characteristics) are far and away the most important. And, pertinent to the OP's observation, maybe that flex is why I liked the SCs so much.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
Rossi hero.png

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, I was referred by someone who is following this thread and mentioned I may be interested to contribute! Indeed I am!
I have a business that develops advances measuring systems for alpine skis. We measure a lot of stuff on alpine skis! Our machine measures the complete geometry, profile, bending stiffness distribution (Ei) and torsional stiffness distribution (Gj). We're about the only company in the world, as far as I know, that produces such measures. You can register to our members page for free and access a lot of our measurements to compare skis. We have over 2000 skis measured. Several companies have purchased our technology and are using it to develop product (race, backcountry...) and for quality control.
The main think we do very differently (and it's mentioned by a few responses in the thread) is that we measure complete distribution. In other words, not just one average point for the ski. We measure an average of 10cm segment at every mm of the ski. We do this for both bending and torsional stiffness. This allow us to completely characterize the ski and predict how it will perform on any feelings one can describe (pop, edge grip, stability, float...).

Enjoy and great talk! We love ski and we love technology :)

Marius

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 122273
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site, I was referred by someone who is following this thread and mentioned I may be interested to contribute! Indeed I am!
I have a business that develops advances measuring systems for alpine skis. We measure a lot of stuff on alpine skis! Our machine measures the complete geometry, profile, bending stiffness distribution (Ei) and torsional stiffness distribution (Gj). We're about the only company in the world, as far as I know, that produces such measures. You can register to our members page for free and access a lot of our measurements to compare skis. We have over 2000 skis measured. Several companies have purchased our technology and are using it to develop product (race, backcountry...) and for quality control.
The main think we do very differently (and it's mentioned by a few responses in the thread) is that we measure complete distribution. In other words, not just one average point for the ski. We measure an average of 10cm segment at every mm of the ski. We do this for both bending and torsional stiffness. This allow us to completely characterize the ski and predict how it will perform on any feelings one can describe (pop, edge grip, stability, float...).

Marius
Well now, that’s very interesting!

So for stiffness, you load the ski in the middle? Does that really capture the stiffness of the tail?

@Eric Edelstein you aware off this system?

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
View attachment 122273

Marius

I am utterly speechless... There is a god. ;)

This is exactly what I've wanted for so many years. Exactly what the golf world has had for shafts.

Marius - I will have so many questions, but first... off to your site !

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So this company, technology and measuring system has existed since at least 2018 and yet Google doesn't give any hits on them at all. Starting in 2019, I had searched on everything I could imagine in the realm of ski profiling, EI profiler for skis, etc. and you never get a hit on Soothski. The video James posted ONLY has 400+ views in over 2 years. I guess it wasn't a business worried about people finding them... :roflmao:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

So for stiffness, you load the ski in the middle? Does that really capture the stiffness of the tail?

I think you're seeing the measurement part of the device being repeatedly moved up and down the length of the ski. I too was surprised to only see the deflection at one point in the ski though. So it's a good question as to how this method captures the flex data at multiple points. If the data is presented in 10cm increments, I would have expect to see deflection done at each of those points (this is how it's done for golf shafts).

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier

Yes we capture every part of the ski for geometry and about 5-10cm from tip/tail on bending and torsional stiffness, depending on if it's a twin-tip or if it has some odd tip shape... In reality, the torsional stiffness is useful along the effective edge and possible a bit of the taper in case it engaged at a certain angle. As for bending, about every ski only has filler in the tip, no wood core in a tip, so the bending as fare softer then the rest. What matters in a tip is the shape, especially for skis that will enjoy powder.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
So this company, technology and measuring system has existed since at least 2018 and yet Google doesn't give any hits on them at all. Starting in 2019, I had searched on everything I could imagine in the realm of ski profiling, EI profiler for skis, etc. and you never get a hit on Soothski. The video James posted ONLY has 400+ views in over 2 years. I guess it wasn't a business worried about people finding them... :roflmao:
In a way, you're correct. The ski business is very small. This measuring technology has made its way from mouth to ear to virtually all senior ski designers I can think of. Rossignol is the first large company to have incorporated it to their designing, for high end race skis. But before them G3 had already included our technology to many steps of designs. WNDR Alpine has been designing and even doing QA/QC with this. I would tend to trust a lot their product ;)!
We have just very recently started to publish data and make it accessible to all. We're still reflecting on how this will incorporate to existing websites. At the end, all we want it that people get to better choose their skis. We're 2 partners and both have very good jobs, this is really a sideline that combines 2 things we like: Skiing and technology.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
I think you're seeing the measurement part of the device being repeatedly moved up and down the length of the ski. I too was surprised to only see the deflection at one point in the ski though. So it's a good question as to how this method captures the flex data at multiple points. If the data is presented in 10cm increments, I would have expect to see deflection done at each of those points (this is how it's done for golf shafts).
OK, lets get into the technical stuff here! So the check out the principle of Bernoulli. Our patent is largely based on it. In simple, if you bend a stick, it will have a perfect radius only if the properties of bending are equal anywhere in that stick. If some places are stiffer or softer, you will see the shape will be variable. Think of a fishing rod. Even if you apply a force at a single spot, the deformation will obviously show where it is stiffer, where it is softer. One deformed, we use an optical encoder to measure the angle at every mm. So the greater the angle, the softer that location is. By derivation of the angle, we calculate the Ei (same principle for Gj).
The benefit of this is that we get the most primitive properties of the ski. From there, we can calculate any value used by designers. Most will do 3 point testing of repeat a 3 point testing at every X interval. If we know the distances, we simply calculate that value.
Using an optical encoder makes the process far more reliable than laser. the reason is simple: lasers are all dependent of a certain span, for which they have a given precision. So you'd have to find a quite expensive laser to get the kind of tolerance we have, considering the deformation we apply to a ski.
Hope this helps. I could send you to scientific papers about this, but I'm not sure of the rules here with links. I'll try to come back and answer more questions if you have any.

James

Out There
Instructor
but I'm not sure of the rules here with links.
Links are totally allowed unless blatant commercial promotion or linked to questionable content- political etc. Link away.

I see the point about the fishing rod.
Did you happen to see Schladming race? Some great close ups of tails bending. So, your method is going to tell the stiffness of the tail when just the tail is weighted?

50F32225-3D80-4035-8F07-AE1073E58AEE.jpeg

1CE51605-DFB3-46AC-ABBF-13A25875B1DD.jpeg

serious tail bending. Alex Leever just before falling across finish.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
@SoothSkier Beam-deflection equations are not that difficult to apply and come up with those results (for anyone with a civil engineering degree), and I get that you use optical measuring to come up with the displacement. Can you describe the test loading used in your test (or one example) for us?
Thanks.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Momentary pause: I get that engineer-types are way enthused and geeky about all this "data".
But I've been lurking for a bit and I keep waiting: when is someone going to interpret, explain, and apply this "data" for us non-mechanically inclined?
Numbers are just meaningless without an organizing interpretation.
What does all this MEAN relating to these skis? How will they feel, ski, perform differently?

Ok, back to geeking out on the details of the tools, I guess....

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Momentary pause: I get that engineer-types are way enthused and geeky about all this "data".
But I've been lurking for a bit and I keep waiting: when is someone going to interpret, explain, and apply this "data" for us non-mechanically inclined?
What does all this MEAN relating to these skis? How will they feel, ski, perform differently?

It's not meaningless when you can start to apply the data to the skis you already know. That's where the value is. You take what you know about a ski from your personal experience of what you prefer. Then a database like this will help you cull the potential options for additional skis. Do these numbers tell the entire story for a ski? Probably not, but this data does include the most critical aspects that can be measured and I bet that as I dig in deeper, and better understand how they convey the data, that I'm going to see patterns in the data that match my many years of experience in testing lots of skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s a large number of subjective opinions on skis. One could go and take opinion and try to marry it with the data.
You’re saying why don’t people go and do work on this? Feel free.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier

I totally agree with you! Data is not fore everyone. Our work is mostly oriented on establishing metrics that are created from the data. A metric being for example "edge grip" or "playfulness"... Creating the metric is not that difficult (still represents a challenge), but making metrics personal is more difficult. In other words, I can be the exact same size and technical level as someone else, but our definition of sufficient edge grip may be the same. So our goal is to build "personalized ski rating systems". This means that basically, from your appreciation on a given ski, we build a personalized ranking system for you, that corresponds not only to your size and skills, but also your expectations. One of my dream is to be able to build a custom catalog based on a few questions you answer and some appreciations you provide from skis you have skied.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
It's not meaningless when you can start to apply the data to the skis you already know. That's where the value is. You take what you know about a ski from your personal experience of what you prefer. Then a database like this will help you cull the potential options for additional skis. Do these numbers tell the entire story for a ski? Probably not, but this data does include the most critical aspects that can be measured and I bet that as I dig in deeper, and better understand how they convey the data, that I'm going to see patterns in the data that match my many years of experience in testing lots of skis.
100% agree with you.

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
@SoothSkier Beam-deflection equations are not that difficult to apply and come up with those results (for anyone with a civil engineering degree), and I get that you use optical measuring to come up with the displacement. Can you describe the test loading used in your test (or one example) for us?
Thanks.
The first step is to measure the ski without any force applied to it. This becomes the "beaseline". The ski is flipped upside down and we ensure it is supported at the center so that the measuring head does not add any deformation to the ski, that would cause modification to its normal shape. I know there are some debates out there of whether we need to measure the camber when the ski is flat, or sideways or flipped, due to its own weight affecting the camber level. We decided to flip it and build our baseline there. The values we get match very well with others we consulted such as Blister, Ski Test... For bending we clamp the skis at both ends (about 5-10cm from tip/tail, depending on the shape) and we apply a 250Nm2 (more or less - as long as we get a good deformation). For race skis, we may increase to 350Nm2 and for kids skis, we'll lower to 200Nm2 to avoid crackings. Then we measure the entire deformation. This is compared to the baseline, and using the loading force, we calculate the bending stiffness at each mm. We use 10cm average segments as spacial resolution, otherwise there would be too much "noise" in our results. At 10 cm we get to identify very precisely where the manufacturer may have changed the layers or even determine where there are binding inserts. For torsion, it's the same principle, but by twisting the ski as you can see in our video. The applied force will vary from one ski to another, as the twist is always the same angle we apply.
At the end, we garante under 5% variation in repeatability and we rarely get as high as 2,5% even with different people operating the machine. I hope this helps understand. You can search papers about our patent by using "ski stiffness distribution" in Google, about all the article are from our inventors (I was warned not to post links related to our business, so I'm respecting this).

SoothSkier

Booting up
Skier
Links are totally allowed unless blatant commercial promotion or linked to questionable content- political etc. Link away.

I see the point about the fishing rod.
Did you happen to see Schladming race? Some great close ups of tails bending. So, your method is going to tell the stiffness of the tail when just the tail is weighted?

View attachment 122364
View attachment 122363
serious tail bending. Alex Leever just before falling across finish.
I had not seen that photo. Crazy! Yes, we can tel exactly the stiffness at each mm of the tail.

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Adding a little bit to what Marius said...

The goal of our measurement technique is to measure the fundamental properties of the skis. This is different than measuring the result of some applied loads (e.g., measuring the distance that the ski deflects for a given weight in a 3 point test). The reason we do these measurements is that we want to be able to predict any load conditions that a ski can be put through like skiing on ice (load mostly underfoot), skiing in deep powder (load distributed along the ski), landing and having only the tail touch the snow, having the ski loaded at any edge angle, etc. By measuring the EI (bending stiffness) and GJ (torsional stiffness) along the full length of a ski, we can simulate any load case that we want. EI and GJ are like the spring rate/constant of a spring (i.e., with units of in/lbs or mm/kg like Dakine did). It is the ratio of displacement by the load you apply to it. Loading conditions (also called boundary conditions) include snow and the forces applied by the skier. It is not trivial to represent these conditions properly. There are many type of snow, and even the simplest type requires complex models. Modelling a skier also has some challenges, and it depends on your mass, your ability (i.e., can you pull a 3g turn?) and your style (how you use your skis).

But in all cases, as Noodler pointed out, if you have access to these measurements for the skis that you tried, it is easy to start understanding where the "character" of a ski is coming from. It is very easy with these data to find similar skis. It is also relatively easy to ask for "a little bit more/less of X than ski Y" if you know which parameter makes for what. For exemple, the graph that Marius posted show three somewhat similar skis. You see with a trained eye that :
- 1st graph: The front running length of the Elite Long Turn Ti is about 5 cm longer even if the ski is only a 2 cm longer ski (177 vs 175).
- 2nd graph: The sidecut of the of the Elite Long Turn Ti is larger than the two other. You can also see that all of these skis have their widest front point up in the air, so as you edge the ski more and more, you will get more tip engagement.
- 3rd graph: The bending stiffness distributions (EI) are quite similar (this is often the case for "general public" ski), but the long turn and multi turn have stiffer tails, so they will provide more support (e.g., more kick/pop at the end of a turn). Note that this graph is not a "displacement under a load" kind of curve. It is the spring rate of the ski at that location on the ski.
- 4th graph: The torsional stiffness distributions (GJ) show that the Multi Turn and Plus TI are about 30% softer, with the multi turn "carbon" being even softer in the tip/tail. We typically see the most variation in these measurements, but it also seems to be the property to which skiers are the most sensitive to. This is also the measurement that nobody else really talk about or have numbers about! A high torsional stiffness make for a very precise ski. It will do well on ice. It will track well, but you need to be able to place the ski where you want it to go otherwise you will pay for it. You also need to have good technique to release the edges. Too much torsional stiffness can also make for a "harsh" ride (kind of like if the edge haven't been detuned). A softer ski will be easier to slide sideways and be more playful. We see that a lot in beginners skis, but even "expert" park skis are torsionally soft.

That is a quick summary for the averaged values. It works quite well if the skis that you are comparing are somewhat similar to start with. This is often the case when you shop for a certain type of ski. You can also dig deeper and look at the local properties to know how different part of a ski will behave during different part of a turn.

You can't always look at each property individually however. For example, if you are interested in the speed limit of a ski. Many people think that it is related, in part, to how much "preload" pressure you have on the tip, which will prevent the tip from flapping up in the air when you hit little bumps at speed. The more pressure you have, the faster you can go without the tip flapping. The pressure on the tip depends on the bending stiffness, the camber, the length of the ski, the sidecut, the edge angle, etc. This gets complicated, but it is not magic! :) We can predict that in our models. We are still building up our knowledge about the interplay between all these measurement. We welcome any input from the community about which "feelings" are important to you in a ski. If you tell us what is important to you, we can try to model that with our data/models!

There are probably hundreds of ways you can use to measure these properties. There are dozen of undergraduate (and PhD) thesis about this going back at least 50 years. This is not new. However, we specialize in doing all these measurements very fast (and continuously along the full length of the ski). Most techniques that we know of can take quite a long time to do so, require multiple machines and only take part of the measurements needed. Our goal is to measure the full fundamental properties of all the skis in the world, which means all models and all lengths. Measuring the different length is quite important as the scaling of EI/GJ with length is not uniform across industry (and other properties can also change too like width, sidecut, etc). We are partnering with museums, individual collectors, shops and manufacturers to have access to as many skis as we can. We return them unharmed as we [somewhat unfortunately] don't need to ski them have a pretty good idea of how they will ski. ;-)

To get back to the original thread... To get a more complete picture of the difference between these skis, it would be great to compare the local values of the bending stiffness and also torsional stiffness if you can. However, you seem to already have measured quite a big difference in their bending stiffness. That might be a cue. We often see that the torsional stiffness scales with bending stiffness, as many in the industry use the same tri-axial fiber in their construction and adjust the core thickness to scale both EI and GJ together. But who knows, you could have a case of soft flexing but torsionally rigid ski. They are not as common (as you need to think a little more about the laminate and often introduce additional layers), but it is my favorite kind of ski. It fit my style quite well (i.e., lot of small precise turns).

If you want to dig deeper, we could probably measure your skis... we unfortunately don't have them in our database. We would love to better represent smaller manufacturers.

Alexis

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

You can think of the stiffness as the ability of the ski to transfer load when it is displaced (bent or twisted).
If you tip a ski with sidecut over on its edge on hard snow or if you have a ski sink into snow and deform under load in soft snow you bend the ski into a turn and hence you are displacing it and the stiffness will transfer the load to the tip and tail, but not without that displacement and not without the stiffness. Without both these things being present the load will all be under foot.

Traditional camber exists so that the ski is already deformed when you initiate the turn with force being applied at the tip according to the stiffness and amount of camber (which supplies the initial displacement).

Loads far away from your boot have a greater lever arm and can have greater affect, at the expense of being harder to control.

Best skis for high performance on hard surfaces given a skilled pilot are stiff and have camber. Less skilled pilots may want something less stiff. Highly skilled heavier pilots may want more stiffness. Lighter skilled pilots, having less force to move may want slightly less stiffness. There is also a balance to how far along the ski you want to move those forces, and how much you need to still have underfoot.

In summary, think of the stiffness graph as how efficiently the ski moves the load along, and the sidecut and rocker profile (and if on hard snow the tipping angle) as the means of commanding that movement of force.