• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any concerns with storing skis in 110+ degrees in the summer? My garage gets really hot so I've been storing them inside the house but would love to do this project.
I've been wondering this also with all the triple digit temps we're having here (even hotter in the garage). I do have my skis in there, my bikes are in the house :).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any concerns with storing skis in 110+ degrees in the summer? My garage gets really hot so I've been storing them inside the house but would love to do this project.
Now, I know I'm not the "normal" wife, but one of the things I said to Phil when I saw this beautiful wood rack was, "wow, that looks like it could be a nice chair rail on a wall in the house"
I wouldn't hesitate to install this inside the house instead of the garage.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now, I know I'm not the "normal" wife, but one of the things I said to Phil when I saw this beautiful wood rack was, "wow, that looks like it could be a nice chair rail on a wall in the house"
I am ON it!

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier

I have five pairs of skies that have been stored in the garage in Tucson and have seen no effects of the temperature. I figure waxing gets the bases hotter than 110 so the only question is about heat soaking and core temperature. So far no problems after 4 years.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, well I think shaping the 3" 1x3's to be shaped like a ski boot toe lug would be beyond my meager woodworking abilities (The birdhouse I made in shop class in the 8th grade was condemned by the housing board).

But I like the concept!

I am ON it!
I did a search to see why horizontal is frowned upon and in one thread Phil posted a link to hangemright.com which sells that part that goes into the toepiece.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug

I like a NICE Rack

Apparently @Tricia does too
I am ON it!

Now you are going to need to paint or stain to match the decor, but I am sure you can do it.

BTW, bot those without a sanding belt, a trip to Home Depot and you can get a decent Dremel tool and with the right attachment this would be pretty easy.
Note: Wear safety glasses

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have five pairs of skies that have been stored in the garage in Tucson and have seen no effects of the temperature. I figure waxing gets the bases hotter than 110 so the only question is about heat soaking and core temperature. So far no problems after 4 years.
The plastic in bindings and boots fails over time. I have a hunch that extreme heat, over 120 degrees contributes to the breakdown and demise of these plastics. The contact cement that holds the laminated layers together is sensitive to extreme heat. You can actually use a heat gun to melt it and peel back layers if you really wanted to.

I do think modern plastics, post 1990 are way less susceptible to heat cycle damage. If they weren't we'd be seeing lots more delamination and biding problems when hot boxing skis.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No. This is a serious fail. Mrs scotsskier could then see just how many pairs I have

Easier to hide them in the garage closets....
Or, in the hidden space BEHIND the corner cabinet in the kitchen :)

21731253_1810620055620191_5665265604135168257_n.jpg

Got a couple more pairs at the back of a bedroom closet, and the retro quiver in the corner of the living room. Not a fan of keeping the gear in a non climate controlled space.

Also, shout out to the management for that sweet K2 strap on my bump skis ;-)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug

I like a NICE Rack

Apparently @Tricia does too

Why yes, yes she does.
Now you are going to need to paint or stain to match the decor, but I am sure you can do it.
BTW, bot those without a sanding belt, a trip to Home Depot and you can get a decent Dremel tool and with the right attachment this would be pretty easy.
Note: Wear safety glasses

Dremels are OK..The Foredom does a bit more ;)

IMG_1269.JPG

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Heat does allow some movement in epoxy. But 110f is not terribly hot. If you block the skis underfoot and hold the ends together, normal heat should be OK. I've stored skis in the desert at temps over 120f with no problem. My waterskis, which are room temperature cure epoxy, do fine in the heat.

But direct sunlight is too much. We measured prepreg in the sun at 170f. Way too hot. I've delaminated skis leaving them in the summer sun. Now everything I build is painted white and effectively cool enough for inadvertent sun exposure. A little off topic for indoor garage stored skis.

ski wall.jpg

@Philpug Your wall looks like it can handle higher density of skis. Since I'm not allowed to get more skis than space on the wall, your rack might let me have some fun!

Eric

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
I do think modern plastics, post 1990 are way less susceptible to heat cycle damage. If they weren't we'd be seeing lots more delamination and biding problems when hot boxing skis.

I think UV will have a larger impact on modern polymers than heat cycling at moderate temperatures, under 120. Just look at any 10 year old car in the Southwest.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 29433

@Philpug Since I'm not allowed to get more skis than space on the wall, your rack might let me have some fun!

Eric

No need for more wall space.

Tool Rack_Long.jpg

Two to three pair per rack is not an issue. Best to check the structural integrity of the wall and mounting strap first.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No need for more wall space.

View attachment 29435
Two to three pair per rack is not an issue. Best to check the structural integrity of the wall and mounting strap first.
Make sure you have motion sensor light in that storage area..you catch these in the dark....ouch-ahhhh.