• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of good ideas for my new shop/garage!

My previous system: Threaded floor standards, 18" pipe nipples, ironing board foot bumpers:

IMG_3282.JPG

The offset pair hold xc skis flat very nicely.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Lots of good ideas for my new shop/garage!

My previous system: Threaded floor standards, 18" pipe nipples, ironing board foot bumpers:

View attachment 113196

The offset pair hold xc skis flat very nicely.

Please stop showing me these great ski storage systems!

You know the problem with finding more efficient and creative ways to store more skis?... ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Please stop showing me these great ski storage systems!

You know the problem with finding more efficient and creative ways to store more skis?... ;)
Stuff expands to fill the available space.

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
Are these style racks that hold by the tip camber not advised for any specific (they can deform the skis over time, etc) ?

I see generally 3 styles and am trying to decide which to build.
1. Toe of binding
2. Two pins to hold near the tip of the ski
3. Horizontal rack on the wall

SKI-Timber-cover-1_clipped_rev_1__95872.1568751137.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are these style racks that hold by the tip camber not advised for any specific (they can deform the skis over time, etc) ?

I see generally 3 styles and am trying to decide which to build.
1. Toe of binding
2. Two pins to hold near the tip of the ski
3. Horizontal rack on the wall

View attachment 113226

I suspect they are OK, but they make me nervous. I am currently leaning towards the horizontal rack on the wall option. Just letting the idea simmer for awhile, since I want to do it in a manner that allows me to store the skis elsewhere in the off season, and install shelves for Mrs. K to utilize for gardening.

But I suspect I'll just build another set of "plumber's racks" -- see post 141 above. It's hard to find another method that nets more ski storage per foot of wall space, AND they hang no weight from the garage walls. At 12 pair of alpine and 8 pair of xc, I'm a bit concerned about the weight factor (probably needlessly).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Turned out that I've got more linear wall space than depth in the new garage, so I bought a set of the buttons.

@Philpug and others, what did you mount yours in terms of height and center-to-center?

Easy enough to figure out, I guess, but why reinvent the wheel?!

TIA

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Turned out that I've got more linear wall space than depth in the new garage, so I bought a set of the buttons.

@Philpug and others, what did you mount yours in terms of height and center-to-center?

Easy enough to figure out, I guess, but why reinvent the wheel?!

TIA
40" hight and 7" on center.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
40" hight and 7" on center.

7" on center was perfect. Thx for the input. I went quite a bit higher than 40" because I had the space, and wanted to preserve floor space underneath for springtime gardening stuff, or whatever.

This is just step one, fit into an otherwise wasted area. The buttons are overpriced, but work great. For a guy of modest woodworking skills and no equipment beyond a circular saw and a couple hand mitre boxes, they are worth it.

IMG_3534.JPG

Note the cameo appearance of my bike stuff "cabinet". It's just a Gorilla shelf that is enhanced with some pine board add-ons.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
What a great thread!

@Philpug Did you use Walnut for the boot toe replica pieces?

I am sure you considered this, but if I were to pick up a bunch of cheap Salvation Army ski boots, what would you think of table sawing off the toe pieces down towards the heel?

Would be colorful. But would there be enough boot structure below the toe piece to screw in to the horizontal board?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a great thread!

@Philpug Did you use Walnut for the boot toe replica pieces?

I am sure you considered this, but if I were to pick up a bunch of cheap Salvation Army ski boots, what would you think of table sawing off the toe pieces down towards the heel?

Would be colorful. But would there be enough boot structure below the toe piece to screw in to the horizontal board?
I used a 1x3 and pine for the lugs. I went cheap. If I did something that was more decorative, I would have used nicer wood.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Expanded the garage a fair bit this summer, and only sheetrocked one side of the dividing wall, thinking the "nooks" between the 2 x 6 studs come in handy for something, and this is what happened!

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online