• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ski Town Real Estate

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Prices are high due to the high price of land. Prices are pushed higher by increasing construction costs so the supply/demand equation is still unchanged and very much in play.
Yes but the thing is, prices are falling here, rates are up and sales are dropping. Why are prices dropping so quickly if supply is so incredibly tight? There are a large number of permitted units that have been withheld by the builders to artificially keep supply tight. So the issue now is not supply apparently, it's material and labour costs. It's a great shell game.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow.^

Unfortunately, it could be years between when that deposit is paid and when they actually get their money back and in the interim prices could have escalated quite a bit and they are not usually able to get that appreciation from that deposit, which in some cases shoves the purchasers out of the market,” he said.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah typically the developer cannot make the expected profit and tank the development to prevent a "loss". Our mortgage and capital markets are a sewer supported only by folks who feel an obligation to pay their mortgage no matter what. That may change.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pulled several posts from this thread to a new one about writing and education.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Lol...Matsuhisa is Nobu's outpost. $175 is a good freakin' value for quality of food and experience you get. Silly silly.

Leadville is booming like whoa. My boss has lived there 20+ years and is consistently blown away at the pace of new building.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This jumped out at me from an article about affordable housing issues locally:

"Additionally, the median sale price for a home in Whitefish in June of 2022 was $950,000 which represents a 197% increase since 2015-16. Home prices in Kalispell rose 243% and prices in Columbia Falls rose 174% in that same time period."

Wow! I remember when the median was $200-300,000. that would have gotten you an unimproved "railroad"/"shotgun" on Kalispell Ave. Now those houses are $558K - $1.8 million. They're been gussied up a bit, but they were not a quality build when they started.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
With the enormous growth rate of Bend & Central Oregon in general comes crime, homeless population,ect. They just found 2 teenagers murder in a garage in Bend. This isn't the kind of place I want to live in.Time to sell Rockpile Ranch and find a gravel road with an old farm house.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd love to see Leadville play up the high elevation to scare away short-term rentals and second-home buyers. The reality is a majority of both will feel like crap trying to sleep at that altitude. Widely publicizing that fact could help on the margin to maintain a better local/visitor mix.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd love to see Leadville play up the high elevation to scare away short-term rentals and second-home buyers. The reality is a majority of both will feel like crap trying to sleep at that altitude. Widely publicizing that fact could help on the margin to maintain a better local/visitor mix.
On the other hand sick people don’t clog up the lift line and take your spot at the restaurant. They just stay home, drink water, and maybe go to a couple shops. If it were really a big issue it would be all over trip advisor et al and people would stay away.

Reducing demand for rentals just makes it more affordable for harder core types to steal your line.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was at Cessna, we used to go to Leadville for high altitude airport tests. At least for the jets, we couldn't certify what we hadn't tested to.

That was the first stage. The usual follow-on stage was to go to La Paz, Bolivia at an altitude of 13,300.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
However, the price reductions haven't had much impact on completed sales prices thus far, at least statewide through the month of June. The median sales price for stand-alone homes, townhouses, and condos in Utah for the month of June fell $5,050 from what it was in May or -0.94% (from $535,050 to $530,000). Of course, those prices are significantly lower than what they were in Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County but I haven't seen any data on those entities thus far for that timeframe and neither the city nor county lead the way in being the priciest in the state.

A property's initial asking price was, and still is to a lesser degree, somewhat deceptive. My next door neighbor very recently sold his home in 17 days, an eternity compared to just a couple months ago. He decided to start at a "Calizuela asking price", based on the prior behavior of the market and advice from his realtor. After receiving no offers from Calizuelans, he reduced the price by $35,000 to $775,000 after 15 days and it sold 2 days later. Interestingly, the 4 closest homes for sale to my neighbor's (not located in our 257-home subdivision but in adjoining subdivisions) all sold within 5 days after his as best I can tell. All were listed for as much or more than my neighbor's but I didn't follow closely enough to know whether any price reductions on those properties occurred. I believe setting an overly high asking price when one's home first went on the market was quite common in this area but that practice is probably fading away more with each passing week. There's been a couple significant interest rate increases by the Fed in the last couple months with more on the way, so we'll see how the local real estate market responds going forward.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
U.S. housing prices fall for the first time in nearly 3 years, according to CNBC. The price drop from June to July was the largest single-month decline since January 2011 and the result was the second-worst July for home prices since 1991. The Salt Lake City "area" was an outlier, bucking the declining price trend with the second-highest home price increase nationally among metro areas of 3.2%. The metro areas leading the way in the opposite direction were San Jose (-3.9%) and Seattle (-2.7%).

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
U.S. housing prices fall for the first time in nearly 3 years, according to CNBC. The price drop from June to July was the largest single-month decline since January 2011 and the result was the second-worst July for home prices since 1991. The Salt Lake City "area" was an outlier, bucking the declining price trend with the second-highest home price increase nationally among metro areas of 3.2%. The metro areas leading the way in the opposite direction were San Jose (-3.9%) and Seattle (-2.7%).

The article does go on to say price dips in Salt Lake are expected if not already here though.

"Utah Foundation's report said is likely around the corner if not already here. "Month-to-month metro prices are expected to dip into negative territory in August and September, and some sources show that housing prices are already negative nationally."

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw a quick blurb about the property report.

Quality has seemed to outpace areas considered less desirable in the past, or at least that’s what I am told. One thing for certain is that there is a lot of interest in building apartments in the suburbs here around Boston. Times are changing.

As far as ski homes, it seems a bit more reasonable now than recently where I look. The oceanfront towns have a bit more out there too. I would guess any capitulation is a ways off, who knows. It’s not the subprime crowd.