• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta SkiBig3

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
LOL looks like you folks got 16cm overnight :) Enjoy! @Jenny

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
And while those of us down South, start to put storage wax on our skis and tune our bikes back in the Canadian Rockies winter continues .... ;)
Why am I not going back today?! Just a several hour drive...

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunshine did indeed get the goods overnight so there was a change of plans and we went there instead of Lake Louise, where they only had 3-4”. Truth be told, that’s enough for me, but off to Sunshine we went!

I'm sure the first couple of runs didn’t inspire anyone's confidence in me, least of all my own, but it got better. I just don’t get enough practice in that much snow and tense right up until I can get out of my head. It took about three runs down below, then we went up to the Divide. I skied what had formerly been groomed, so it was messy piles, not hard bumps hiding under soft snow, and the first run down that gave me the confidence I needed. Everything was good after that.

My legs are tired!

It also snowed while we were there, so the weather pattern continues. Sun in the morning, then snow moves in for an hour or so, and then we kind of go back to sun/clouds again.

36E329E2-044E-4508-A278-E511C62A8E5A.jpeg

Reactions: Mel

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied Lake Louise today. Did the mountain tour so got all the way to the top and then back down successfully. Conditions were pretty firm, so there were some areas we skipped, but we had a good time and it certainly helped,orient us for later when we were left to our own devices.

Took the scenic route home, stopped by Johnston Canyon and walked to the lower falls. Then poutine for dinner and now relaxing.

5F3035CA-A243-42F7-81BE-2CDE2FE5AAC6.jpeg

E3249968-B5DA-478C-BAC3-1110AA7A1BD1.jpeg

0146EE62-CCD2-47AE-B529-F018772B4D69.jpeg

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Skied Lake Louise today. Did the mountain tour so got all the way to the top and then back down successfully. Conditions were pretty firm, so there were some areas we skipped, but we had a good time and it certainly helped,orient us for later when we were left to our own devices.

Took the scenic route home, stopped by Johnston Canyon and walked to the lower falls. Then poutine for dinner and now relaxing.

View attachment 167783

View attachment 167784

View attachment 167785
When we went to the lower falls in February, it was pretty much fully iced over. Someone had dropped their cellphone down there.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
They are having a great snow year in Banff this year. When I was a kid and we had years like this Sunshine would stay open through to July, unfortunately now they always close late May regardless of the conditions :(

That said Summer in Banff is pretty spectacular, it is also peak season so much more expensive ... but worth every penny :)

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are having a great snow year in Banff this year. When I was a kid and we had years like this Sunshine would stay open through to July, unfortunately now they always close late May regardless of the conditions :(

That said Summer in Banff is pretty spectacular, it is also peak season so much more expensive ... but worth every penny :)
There has been much talk of how we need to come here outside of ski season. And we've asked questions of locals as to what a good time would be.

dovski

Skier
There has been much talk of how we need to come here outside of ski season. And we've asked questions of locals as to what a good time would be.
Summer is amazing. You need to plan on doing Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho and Jasper National parks, they are all connected. Driving is super slow on the Icefield Parkway, but the scenery is amazing and there are lots of places to stop along the way. Beyond just hiking, climbing and the usual outdoor activities you also have some very unique experiences like the Columbia Icefield tours, hotsprings, Gondolas, Apline meadows ... etc. You even have SCUBA diving at altitude in Glacier lakes. You also have visitors from all over the world and lots of charming mountain towns with great shops and restaurants. Now that said things book up quickly and by this stage most hotels will be fully booked for the entire summer, so you need to plan ahead.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Late spring is likely the least attractive time to go - as soon as the snow is gone, it can be brown for a while until rain in June greens everything up. Summer is amazing but definitely high season. Fall (IMO) is the best non-skiing time to visit. Fewer people, the larch trees are turning yellow, and usually very good weather. In truth, any time is a good time to visit.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
For summer, my favorite time frame is early to mid-July. If it's a smoky year (and most dry years are Smokey these days), smoke is usually worst late summer.

The fall can be really fun as well. The last weekend of September is usually prime larch time, but the week before and after can be good as well. After Canadian thanksgiving (second Monday in October), hotel rates are pretty affordable, and the towns will be quiet. It can be a bit cold though, and alpine hikes might be challenging.

If hotel rooms in the park are full, you might want to look into hotels in Hinton for the Jasper region of Golden for Yoho/Lake Louise. These towns aren't the most scenic or luxurious, but they are a short drive from spectacular scenery. Golden is also close to Glacier National park (the Canadian one) which is equally beautiful (but smaller), and a very different ecosystem.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think we’d most likely do a fall trip, over summer. Not next year, though, as that trip is already in the planning stages.

We sure did have a great time this week. Can’t believe we have to go home tomorrow.

Skied Sunshine again today and it was beautiful. Sunny, mid 30s I think, and we just had a great time. It's too bad this is the end of the season for us - I'd love to build on the confidence I had here. With the exception of the first few runs in the powder on Wednesday, I really skied some hard-for-me things pretty confidently. And that includes the scraped off black bump run today, where I turned and stopped every time and every place I planned to. Usually there's a lot more flailing and swearing, especially when I go shooting toward the side of the run, instead of stopping.

On the way down - goodbye to the 2021-22 season.

63AEFED9-C9B2-4EDC-A530-EF1484471409.jpeg

dovski

Skier
For summer, my favorite time frame is early to mid-July. If it's a smoky year (and most dry years are Smokey these days), smoke is usually worst late summer.

The fall can be really fun as well. The last weekend of September is usually prime larch time, but the week before and after can be good as well. After Canadian thanksgiving (second Monday in October), hotel rates are pretty affordable, and the towns will be quiet. It can be a bit cold though, and alpine hikes might be challenging.

If hotel rooms in the park are full, you might want to look into hotels in Hinton for the Jasper region of Golden for Yoho/Lake Louise. These towns aren't the most scenic or luxurious, but they are a short drive from spectacular scenery. Golden is also close to Glacier National park (the Canadian one) which is equally beautiful (but smaller), and a very different ecosystem.
I would recommend against Hinton, the place stinks ... literally it smells like rotten eggs because of the pulp mill. My recommendation is if you want to visits these national parks in summer do it right and plan ahead so you can stay there. Staying in the park is part of the experience and there are a ton of great hotels and cabin resorts that only open for business in the summer. Staying in the heart of Jasper, Banff or Lake Louise is absolutely worth it!

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think we’d most likely do a fall trip, over summer. Not next year, though, as that trip is already in the planning stages.

We sure did have a great time this week. Can’t believe we have to go home tomorrow.

Skied Sunshine again today and it was beautiful. Sunny, mid 30s I think, and we just had a great time. It's too bad this is the end of the season for us - I'd love to build on the confidence I had here. With the exception of the first few runs in the powder on Wednesday, I really skied some hard-for-me things pretty confidently. And that includes the scraped off black bump run today, where I turned and stopped every time and every place I planned to. Usually there's a lot more flailing and swearing, especially when I go shooting toward the side of the run, instead of stopping.

On the way down - goodbye to the 2021-22 season.

View attachment 167877

Does that mean you’re going to join us for our February conference trip? Lol. I’m guessing we won’t be free for a fall trip in September this year given our extended-stay houseguest (aka temporary dog #4). Since my ski big 3 days in 2023 are already spoken for, I’m totally in for another spring trip in 2024!

you rocked Ecstasy btw. I watched you go down with finesse. I need to get more comfortable with steeps!

Sponsor

Staff online