• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing and Reviewing the Collection

Lowell Watson

Making skis sharp and slippery
Skier
Well, there is a lot to get through, but I am going to ski as many skis in the collection as possible and offer up some brief comments on each. Not sure how far I will get, but it’s time to give it a try.

To catch up on the season so far:

November 23+25 Park City, opening week. Variable groomed conditions with 4-5 fresh on the margins. 2020 K2 Mindbender 99ti 184cm. I love this ski. No speed limit and a bulldozer in choppy snow. Heavy with a Pivot 15, but still my daily driver.

December 28 Wachusett. Misty wet and heavy. Rained in the afternoon. 1st generation Dynastar Course GS 200 (no chicken hearts were harmed in the trial). Ski was great. Lean on the tips a little and they wanted to turn. Had a ton of fun, definitely a keeper.

couple more to catch up on, but it is Lange day and the lift opens in 5. See you out there!

TS
Lowell Watson

Lowell Watson

Skier
More catch up…

January 4, Wachusett. Frozen corduroy quickly softened to wet man made. Poor visibility but great snow. Started on a 2010 era 183 Elan 23m GS with MRR Skied well, quicker edge to edge than I expected and was a great radius for ripping GS turns down the mountain. Great warm up for…
1979 or so Blizzard Firebird competition 200cm with MRR’s. Overall not bad, but required a little more attention paid and more lean on the tips to initiate turns. I think the conditions helped the ski. Overall, meh…but will re-tune and maybe try later in the season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I did similar with my skateboard collection a few years ago. I rode a different skateboard every single day for the entire month of April. Took a couple photos and posted with comments on a forum that no longer exists.

It was sort of an answer to wife's "do you even use any of these" question. Full disclosure though she was just trying to stop the growth, not get rid of what I already had/have. General rule. get rid of one before adding something else.. At roughly 70 complete skateboards that's more than fair.

The riding part helped me justify to myself if they were worth keeping.. I did make a few changes based on that use.

cloudymind

Booting up
Skier
More catch up…

January 4, Wachusett. Frozen corduroy quickly softened to wet man made. Poor visibility but great snow. Started on a 2010 era 183 Elan 23m GS with MRR Skied well, quicker edge to edge than I expected and was a great radius for ripping GS turns down the mountain. Great warm up for…
1979 or so Blizzard Firebird competition 200cm with MRR’s. Overall not bad, but required a little more attention paid and more lean on the tips to initiate turns. I think the conditions helped the ski. Overall, meh…but will re-tune and maybe try later in the season.
good to know, i just bought a pair of 23 meters unused elan still in their packaging.
i'll try to test them same day with a pair ok '90s K2 i bought recently.

TS
Lowell Watson

Lowell Watson

Skier
I’m falling behind on the posts, here is a little catch up. More pics to follow. All days were at Wachusett with frozen granular conditions of varying wetness. We are preying to the snow gods daily but I can still mow my lawn…fingers crossed for 4”-6” tonight.
1983 or so Fischer RC4 SG 205cm with Tyrolia 390RD. Not as much work as I expected, but definitely operate better at speed. With the soft granular they turned easily with a little lean on the tips. No problem with the bindings either. Definitely a keeper.

1970’s Dynamic VR17 207cm with Look 99RS. Still awesome. If you once liked them, you still will. The legend lives on. Hopefully some of the new models will start popping up in New England. Verdict: go get some.
Late 1980’s Veilhaber MT3 205cm with Pivots. Total POS. Still has plenty of camber, but skis dead. I had to have this ski when I saw it because it was made in the alps of Scotland. Unfortunately they are Scottish and definitely crap. A keeper only because they exist.

2023 K2 Mindbender 89TI 182cm with Tyrolia Attack 11. New favorite all mountain ski. I have a 99Ti and like it, but the 89 is a killer. I tried it last year and loved it then too. Makes great high speed turns and carves up the mountain. It plows through variable conditions with ease and is stable at any speed. Definitely try a pair, you won’t be disappointed.
There are a few more to add and pictures to follow…

Attachments

• D65715A3-FF8E-4DFC-AA51-F8C4ADE2ADF9.jpeg
    D65715A3-FF8E-4DFC-AA51-F8C4ADE2ADF9.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 14
  • 7C5343EA-68DF-40CB-82CE-7420C5E2F9A2.jpeg
    7C5343EA-68DF-40CB-82CE-7420C5E2F9A2.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 13
  • F560031D-A8D1-4749-8B30-D3785043F90D.jpeg
    F560031D-A8D1-4749-8B30-D3785043F90D.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 12

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hiya Lowell!!!
I sure love those Stratos
Am still looking for these Authier beauties!
(203 or 207).
887F4A90-7B22-4782-886F-9BF555C06438.jpeg

jlambo72

Booting up
Skier
I’m falling behind on the posts, here is a little catch up. More pics to follow. All days were at Wachusett with frozen granular conditions of varying wetness. We are preying to the snow gods daily but I can still mow my lawn…fingers crossed for 4”-6” tonight.
1983 or so Fischer RC4 SG 205cm with Tyrolia 390RD. Not as much work as I expected, but definitely operate better at speed. With the soft granular they turned easily with a little lean on the tips. No problem with the bindings either. Definitely a keeper.

1970’s Dynamic VR17 207cm with Look 99RS. Still awesome. If you once liked them, you still will. The legend lives on. Hopefully some of the new models will start popping up in New England. Verdict: go get some.
Late 1980’s Veilhaber MT3 205cm with Pivots. Total POS. Still has plenty of camber, but skis dead. I had to have this ski when I saw it because it was made in the alps of Scotland. Unfortunately they are Scottish and definitely crap. A keeper only because they exist.

2023 K2 Mindbender 89TI 182cm with Tyrolia Attack 11. New favorite all mountain ski. I have a 99Ti and like it, but the 89 is a killer. I tried it last year and loved it then too. Makes great high speed turns and carves up the mountain. It plows through variable conditions with ease and is stable at any speed. Definitely try a pair, you won’t be disappointed.
There are a few more to add and pictures to follow…
I am very interested in the 89ti so I appreciate your review. I demoed the 90ti in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I really want to buy my own skis but hesitate since I'm not sure I want to travel with them and I ski less than 10 days a year. I just started skiing seriously 3 years ago and I consider myself intermediate. Would this ski be a good start for a first ski? I worry a little it might be to advanced for me. But like I said, I loved the 90ti. I'm 5'10 and 200#s. I demoed the 163 length, which is short for me but I still skied great. Any input would be great. Thanks