• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing Camera Option

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When not using the Go Pro, mostly as it did have limited battery and it didn't have zoom, I'd use a basic small waterproof Fuji, Canon, etc. The optics aren't spectacular but the waterproof ones had the advantage that they didn't care if they got water and most times had a bit lower temperature range and had higher shock resistance for use. Good too for hot tub/pool

But more important was the size, being essentially the size of a fat oversized deck of cards, I would put a couple of hair ties (back in my pony tail days) onto it's strap, then pull the ties over my wrist. I could then tuck the camera into my shells sleeve and pull it out whenever I wanted to take pics even on the move without fumbling into a pocket and sans the fear I would drop it. I use flip top gloves which make this really easy and quick and I generally don't slow folks down in my group excessively.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I find any SLR/MILC too big to carry around skiing... but I want a real camera, both for phone battery preservation purposes, and for the camera features. My current compromise is an Olympus Tough TG-5.... it's just small enough to be chest-pocketable in my ski jacket, shockproof, waterproof, has decent zoom and manual features, and I get raw files (which is important to me). The biggest drawback is lens flare - it gets purple circles in the middle of some images depending on where the light is. Kind of frustrating, but I like it otherwise.

1616255924293.png

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My son is a serious photographer. At the 2015 Gathering at Jackson Hole he decided he wanted to take good photos...
m6.jpg

It took a lot of gear in a clever swing-out camera bag
m5c.jpg

m5e.jpg

It also requires photo models willing to give you time to get set up.
m4.jpg

He still skis with more camera than I would, but nothing like that.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find any SLR/MILC too big to carry around skiing... but I want a real camera, both for phone battery preservation purposes, and for the camera features. My current compromise is an Olympus Tough TG-5.... it's just small enough to be chest-pocketable in my ski jacket, shockproof, waterproof, has decent zoom and manual features, and I get raw files (which is important to me). The biggest drawback is lens flare - it gets purple circles in the middle of some images depending on where the light is. Kind of frustrating, but I like it otherwise.
this the Camera I've used prior and near cousin from Fuji. Ruggedized cameras that do well for abuse. A through viewfinder would be nice but .... convenience and cost were factors.

But I do like the set up by the OP @CO Dreaming with the G7 and Pancake lens.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I am usually the person on trip who takes all the photos and lately I used a Canon G9x. I am considering just going the iPhone route and upgrading my iPhone XS with a 12 pro. I have noticed that I have been pulling my camera out of my pocket less and less.

IMG_2285.jpeg
o I am curious to see some action skiing shots from an iPhone. How well do they work in low light? Are the fast enough?