• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing equipment purchases that you regret/have regretted

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon something-or-other 7s womens powder skis that were the darling if Epic Ski some years back. Horrible to ski and really ugly to boot. So horrible I have erased their name from my memory. Ruined a whole season.

And

Foam injected boots that blistered and bloodied my feet and made me cry. I was so happy when I could justify getting rid of them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What have you all done with wrong purchases? Put up with them for a few years til the equipment has worn down or just sell them at a loss or just give them away?

Hard to write off bad purchases with ski equipment as most items are in the hundreds to thousands of dollars.

But then again, injuries with bad equipment can last a lifetime and cost more than a few thousand in the long run. Some injuries are probably immeasurable in dollar value.
I sold my bad choices at ski swaps. Just because they were bad for me doesn't mean they are bad for someone else.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski boots. I went through 2 pairs before I cottoned on that I shouldn't be deciding what I bought obased on brand or what they looked like - it was all about finding a "proper" fitter who would measure my feet in all dimensions and understand how I skied, then tell me what boots you needed and then make the adjustments required. Ended up with the most boring looking pair of Head Advant Edges that I wouldn't have considered and have never looked back

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have bought and sold over 30 pairs of skis in the last 8 years and rarely do I lose much money selling the used ones and most times I’m not out any money as I get all my gear on deals. Only pair of skis I’ve paid full retail for are my 2021 Moment Wildcat as I knew they would be amazing.

Don’t understand the logic of keeping any product you’re not happy with, so selling it right away is a no brainer.
Brought the wrong pair of skis from my quiver to a Utah ski trip as my “daily driver” (187cm Menace 98 and was off piste more than expected) and ended up buying Fisher 102 FR on a deal while there. I sold the Menace 98s out of the hotel lobby 24 hours after listing for what I paid for them and used them 15 days at least before the trip.

The OP bought wide all mountain skis thinking they were powder skis which were the “wrong” ski for that. If they just used Blister to seek out actual powder skis that excel in fresh snow, Spring and tracked out snow and crud, he would still be happy with his Moment Bibbys years later!

Blister is one of the only resources that list weight, flex, mounting point etc and compare to others in that same width and type. You can tell if you may be interested in the ski before the review even starts. Lots of groomer skis reviewed on that site and they are compared with one another including those of larger brands so very easy to compare.

Blister also have come up with the best comment about people talking about skinny skis in powder which I think of all the time.

“I always roll my eyes when I see someone commenting about how beautifully their frontside-oriented, sub-90mm-wide ski handles 12-18” of powder. Stop it people. In deeper and / or grabbier and / or variable snow, something wider than sub-90 is simply better and more fun.”

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What have you all done with wrong purchases? Put up with them for a few years til the equipment has worn down or just sell them at a loss or just give them away?

Hard to write off bad purchases with ski equipment as most items are in the hundreds to thousands of dollars.

But then again, injuries with bad equipment can last a lifetime and cost more than a few thousand in the long run. Some injuries are probably immeasurable in dollar value.
The money you might save by not selling and taking the loss on a bad (for you) pair of expensive skis is peanuts compared to the cost of wasted ski days.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Blizzard Gunsmoke. They are perfecly fine as pure powder skis, but as soon as things turn to cut-up powder or crud, which is about 30 minutes after the first skier reaches the top of the lift in the morning, I prefer... by BMX 98. I have had the Gunsmokes for 9 years and have skied them only otwice for a full day (both times, in spring conditions). On all other occasions where ther was substantial overnight precipitation (up to 18 inches), I changed back to the BMX 98 well before noon. On my most recent trips out west ( Winter Park, Snowbird/Alta, Panorama/Fernie) I have not even bothered to take them with me. AFAIAC, the BMX 98 can handle everything out west.

You are definitely on the wrong ski.........

TS
P

Pacobillie

Putting on skis
Skier
You are definitely on the wrong ski.........
As a powder ski, or as a ski to handle in-bounds resort conditions? As to the latter, I agree!
I bought them sight unseen. At the time, the reviews were very positive.

My point is that a skier who only skis in-bounds does not need true "powder skis", except maybe for the first hour of the very deepest days. Thus, I do regret buying those Gunsmokes! They are not bad skis, but they are definitely the wrong skis for me and my needs.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Buying two pairs of soft snow skis in their longest model , not trusting the float capabilities of a 176 / 178 verses 184 / 186.
I’m 6’1” and 178.

Reactions: BMC

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a powder ski, or as a ski to handle in-bounds resort conditions? As to the latter, I agree!
I bought them sight unseen. At the time, the reviews were very positive.

My point is that a skier who only skis in-bounds does not need true "powder skis", except maybe for the first hour of the very deepest days. Thus, I do regret buying those Gunsmokes! They are not bad skis, but they are definitely the wrong skis for me and my needs.

That comment was meant as irony given the other thread........

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most of my first backcountry ski purchases weren't ideal.
I didn't like the Dynafit Radical ST. It felt harsh, the heel-toe delta was too high and the heel pins felt vague.
I didn't like the Scarpa Maestralle RS. It had a very strange flex. Stiff when I initiated, then it kind of collapsed. It also wasn't great at driving wide skis.
I also didn't like the feel of lightweight carbon skis for an every-day backcountry rig.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buying two pairs of soft snow skis in their longest model , not trusting the float capabilities of a 176 / 178 verses 184 / 186.
I’m 6’1” and 178.
I'm an inch shorter and about 25lbs heavier and I move up from a 179 to 189 because there were a couple of times I went "over the bars" so to speak due to lack of front end support. Well ok it was due to that and me not being careful as to fore aft weight distribution. I felt it would be easier to buy longer skis than to pay attention while skiing the light, white, deep fluffy stuff.

My regretful purchase was a pair of Volant Machete Fat Bastards I bought for a powder highway trip. They weren't really bad at all, just a bit heavier than I like. I took the binding off and used 'em on something else. My brother in law recently reminded me that they are stored in the rafters of his barn...I had forgotten. lol Maybe I'll use them again someday - they only have a handful of outings.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, fore-aft balance on a powder ski that's too short is not a matter of "being careful." It is what it is: a ski that's fricking unstable in powder past a certain skier size. Unless the skier is awful short and probably awful light weight, 178s in powder tend to suck. Ski after powder ski shows the same pattern, for me: 184 and more, and the ski is more stable, no problem - I can just relax and ski right; shorter than 179, and in most cases the ski can sometimes throw me - fold up easily and stall, or whatever, in transitions or sudden deeper, or different consistency, or drifts (unless one is on edge/ski flexed and turny nearly all of the time). Yeah, I can ski careful, what amounts to farther back as cushion, to compensate, but what a drag and not at all in optimal balance or mode for powder otherwise. Just get the longer ski, already! (which is what you've done, in effect, except thinking if only you skied better it wouldn't happen. Actually, it might happen more, in my experience.) Full commitment works on the right length ski!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I love my FTP gloves with fixed liners, and would buy more of their standard model with fixed liners if I could. (I used to have 2 pair, but have lost one.) But they don't make that model with fixed liners anymore
What model?
This SX?
65556451-E33B-451A-8A7B-6B73D34E305C.jpeg

I have not tried this in removable liner form. I have the original. Your experience plus my cuff issue had me order this one with fixed liners. You should let them know your issue with the liners.
B3D73291-5065-4E96-91A8-2D537CD790BD.jpeg

I’m hoping the cuff is much thinner. My complaint with my FTP gloves is the cuff is too big to fit under the jacket, too small to go over. So for a couple of uniform jackets now, it ends up just bunched.

You should let them know your issue with the liners. They’re pretty responsive. My suggestion would be to find some small plastic clips.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What model?
This SX?
View attachment 135491
I have not tried this in removable liner form. I have the original. Your experience plus my cuff issue had me order this one with fixed liners. You should let them know your issue with the liners.
View attachment 135492
I’m hoping the cuff is much thinner. My complaint with my FTP gloves is the cuff is too big to fit under the jacket, too small to go over. So for a couple of uniform jackets now, it ends up just bunched.

You should let them know your issue with the liners. They’re pretty responsive. My suggestion would be to find some small plastic clips.
Yes, the ones I no longer like because of the removable liner are the SX, the first pair. I've considered buying the all leather second pair, but I like the fabric parts of the first pair. I haven't had any problems fitting the glove cuff under the cuff of my ski jackets.

What size do you wear in the SX? I could give you the removable liner pair. Mine are "L".

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Got my first "plastic" ski boots around 1973. Trappeur. These were the initial versions with the low cuff. Just awful. OMG, my feet will still ache whenever I remember them.

Why did I buy them? They looked cool & I got a "deal" on them. Don't judge, I was in my late teens.

James

Out There
Instructor
Brought the wrong pair of skis from my quiver to a Utah ski trip as my “daily driver” (187cm Menace 98 and was off piste more than expected) and ended up buying Fisher 102 FR on a deal while there. I sold the Menace 98s out of the hotel lobby 24 hours after listing for what I paid for them and used them 15 days at least before the trip.
You sell on tgr?
Hmmm... thinking of selling mine.
But with the Pivot 18’s on them I suspect they’d be too expensive?

Sponsor

Staff online