• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing equipment purchases that you regret/have regretted

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Henke Stratos. The worst foamed liner in history-(?) turned to cement and then to bread crumbs in one season but I skied every day.
Incredible shin bang and I still have a scar on my heel from the blisters. That said, they drove racing skis very well especially VR 17’s . At 15-16 years old, I’d put up with anything that worked- including blisters.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Metron M11 was a really good ski for 2005. Went through 3 pairs.
IMO, the B5 was simply too much ski for most skier.

Most people suffers from timeline confusion when looking way back. Shape skis didn't take off till the tail end of the '90s. Most manufacturers were still trying different things with this new shape concept.

James

Out There
Instructor
I like the gloves a lot other than that & they are my go to cold weather storm gloves.
Are you using the older fixed liners or removable.
it was the B5 that was too stiff and too everything for it's own good.
Never skied it, but it was kind of a concept changer. You had some guys now skiing on a 150 something size ski and making nice turns. That was just crazy. Maybe the shorter ones had better flex?
Shape skis didn't take off till the tail end of the '90s. Most manufacturers were still trying different things with this new shape concept.
I agree. I didn’t own one till 99/2000. But I didn’t ski much at all in the early 90’s. When I went to Taos in late March 2000, a couple people in our group were on straight skis. Of course with moguls and steeps, that wasn’t such a deficit. I would say by then though, despite holdouts, no one was ever going back.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You had some guys now skiing on a 150 something size ski and making nice turns. That was just crazy. Maybe the shorter ones had better flex?
Yes, it was availble in three sizes, 152, 162 and 172, all were extremely stiff, heavy, including the 152, and uncompromising.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree. I didn’t own one till 99/2000. But I didn’t ski much at all in the early 90’s. When I went to Taos in late March 2000, a couple people in our group were on straight skis. Of course with moguls and steeps, that wasn’t such a deficit. I would say by then though, despite holdouts, no one was ever going back.

Around 2004/2005, if a skier showed up at ski week with a pair of straight skis, the instructor would tell him/her they can't teach them on the straight skis. The student was strongly encouraged to rent a pair of shape skis.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Are you using the older fixed liners or removable.
Older fixed liners. I think the same as your first photo
B409350C-6651-4C57-B3DF-532DCC8795BA.jpeg

I have gotten used to the cuffs & even though it is sometimes a struggle with one of my jackets, it is a nice seal once they are under the sleeve.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 1st pair of boots. They were too soft and especially too big. No one’s fault but my own as the shop guys warned me about how the fit should be. I was the typical first time boot buyer. I think I kept them about a month.

James

Out There
Instructor
Around 2004/2005, if a skier showed up at ski week with a pair of straight skis, the instructor would tell him/her they can't teach them on the straight skis. The student was strongly encouraged to rent a pair of shape skis.
Yeah by that time you had men on 155-160cm slaloms. Huge changes in the early 2000’s.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
K2 extreme ski in the mid-1990's the one with the green top skin. Won a pair by selling K2 skis but this ski was a dog in the east coast. No energy and just sluggish. Not to thrilled with the Stockli SR88 with the tartan print, I think the 2016 or 2017 ski. Was great for skiing with kids but was low energy. @Philpug basically said even Stockli had low opinions of the product as it was pulled after one year.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, it was availble in three sizes, 152, 162 and 172, all were extremely stiff, heavy, including the 152, and uncompromising.
I had a pair of B5s in a 162 and it was one of my favorite skis. Liked the edge hold and turn characteristics. Worked great on the firm groomed in the East, and a on softer snow. They were a workout to carry and really easy to get the gollywobbles on cat tracks.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Regarding the Metrons, I will give them some defense. I thought the M10, M11 AND EX were pretty good skis...in their day and compared to the other offerings it was the B5 that was too stiff and too everything for it's own good.

The manufacturer's approach was indeed creating a ski that can do it all: short and maneuverable for groomer, great carver and at the same time provide plenty flotation due to it's wide shovel. The excessive sidecut really hampered off-piste utility though, particularly in funky snow conditions. IIRC the concept was ditched again after 2-3 seasons only since overall ski construction improved at the same time.

Sponsor

Staff online