• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing equipment purchases that you regret/have regretted

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
You sell on tgr?
Hmmm... thinking of selling mine.
But with the Pivot 18’s on them I suspect they’d be too expensive?

Listed them on TGR, Newschoolers and KSL.com as I was in Utah and the buyer was from KSL.
Always price with or without bindings and you’re right that someone might buy them flat like I did(reused the attacks on the new Fisher 102 FR).

In Canada, I list my skis with Kijiji ads in my city, larger cities like Toronto 2 hours from me and cities near my “local” ski hills. Often meet the buyers in the parking lot of my ski hill! Put ads for powder skis in Calgary Kijiji as it’s a larger market for those and it’s only $40 CAN to ship there.
Will list my Deacon 84s and Kendo 88s next fall on Kijiji and I’m sure they will sell quickly for close to what I paid for them.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, the ones I no longer like because of the removable liner are the SX, the first pair. I've considered buying the all leather second pair, but I like the fabric parts of the first pair. I haven't had any problems fitting the glove cuff under the cuff of my ski jackets.

What size do you wear in the SX? I could give you the removable liner pair. Mine are "L".

I love mine with the removable liner. Two liners make the glove much more flexible for conditions. In additions they dry out better. In fact I have switched to FTP from Hestra.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
First pair of foam injected boots, it was 1974 ish and I really thought they were going to be great.I had never experienced foot pain until those . I suffered for a few seasons bought my first and last Nordica boots , to soft and comfy for me . thinking about this subject, ski boot up until I went to a good fitter 16 years ago have all been a disaster.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heated vest. Nice until the battery runs out. (It never lasts a full ski day). Then I’m cold because I’ve dressed accounting for the heated vest. Also, the heat from the vest makes me sweat a little so when the battery goes, I get even colder.

Having the battery pack on board is also a PITA. Just one more thing to carry. Same with the charger.

Foam liners in a pair of boots. OMG, my feet hurt for months afterwards. The foam Nordica Doberman lace-ups I have feel good. The others were vices on my feet; forget the firm handshake.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Salomon Shift 10. Pre-released twice in the backcountry on a perfect bluebird powder day. Brakes would release on skinning uphill. Getting into the pins in walk mode I felt like a fighter pilot trying to land on an aircraft carrier. This is one finicky binding. All of the issues I mentioned could probably be resolved but first impressions count and I didn't trust them. Luckily I was able to return them for a full refund.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Biggest regret is also the ski that brought me to this crew back in 2005 on EpicSki, so not entirely regretable experience. Though the ski was sooo not right for me. Atomic Metron B5

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
remember skiing on those in knee deep - they always stayed knee deep and constantly felt like they were sinking further.

my worst "purchase" was the set given to me by one of the members of the Austrian Ski team while in Europe. "These are the skis for you".
I put a lot of sweat equity into them. Packed them around Europe all summer, even into a bar in NYC on one late hot August night. First time I actually could ski on them was November and I was very happy to be rid of them by December.
in retrospect what Hieni meant by these are the skis for you, had a different meaning than I thought it did.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Biggest regret is also the ski that brought me to this crew back in 2005 on EpicSki, so not entirely regretable experience. Though the ski was sooo not right for me. Atomic Metron B5
The only thing less suitable for me than the Metron B5 was the Metron before.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I find that dissatisfaction with boots are more about fit and not performance which I understand. The dissatisfaction with skis is only about performance, but is it the performance of the ski or the skier? Many people are looking for the silver bullet ski that is going to take them to the next level, when in reality the person has to learn and improve to get themselves to the next level. Some ski technology may make it easier to improve but it is probably in the lower to middle performance level, not in the high performance ski. This is why many people are disappointed in skis, they think the ski is going to improve their skill and 9 out of 10 times it will not.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Just like the OP I have never really found skis over 98mm wide that I liked. My home mountain gets small storms with Utah type dry snow so my Blizzard Bonifides worked fine. When I replaced them with Kore 93s they also worked fine but I realized a wide powder ski would be less work in deep snow.

So I demoed some very light weight, 108 wide Black Crows Atris and really liked then in deep snow. Here is my regret: I bought a pair of Atris in time for the 2019 Jackson Hole Gathering but since buying them I have yet to encounter snow deeper than 8"/20cm. :(

Reactions: BMC

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just like the OP I have never really found skis over 98mm wide that I liked. My home mountain gets small storms with Utah type dry snow so my Blizzard Bonifides worked fine. When I replaced them with Kore 93s they also worked fine but I realized a wide powder ski would be less work in deep snow.

So I demoed some very light weight, 108 wide Black Crows Atris and really liked then in deep snow. Here is my regret: I bought a pair of Atris in time for the 2019 Jackson Hole Gathering but since buying them I have yet to encounter snow deeper than 8"/20cm. :(
So it was you that jinked us in JH !!!!!

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
My second pair of Volants were horrible. My then wife bought them for me as a present. I skied them for two years because I didn't have the heart to tell her that I didn't like them.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

So it was you that jinked us in JH !!!!!
I can add, officially, that the dates will be February 26th - March 5th, 2022.

A thread is coming sometime soon.
Huh. I remember the first day of the Jackson Gathering had about 6"- 8" of fresh powder, and I was so glad I brought my Billy Goats (116), and they were great for the cut up snow the next day. And I have used them quite a bit since then at Stevens or Alpental. No regrets on that purchase. I honestly think they are a more useful tool to have than a 95-105 ski.

The only ski-related regret I have is a pair of Hestra liners that were too big for my hands, but it was on STP at a great price and I thought it might work out. It didn't. But at $50 it's not the the most expensive regret to have.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry , I just don't get jazzed up over 6" of snow for the whole week , the previous 3 western trips I took were 49", 47" and 41" for the week . Yes I was a little spoiled
The Big Sky Gathering was crazy good snow!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My complaint with my FTP gloves is the cuff is too big to fit under the jacket, too small to go over. So for a couple of uniform jackets now, it ends up just bunched.
I had the same FTP issue with one of my jackets that has small cuffs but my other jackets are fine. I am an under the cuff guy so it was a small issue. I like the gloves a lot other than that & they are my go to cold weather storm gloves.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
- Swapping my Head Racing Something for a Salomon Force in 1992 - the Head was MUCH better in every department
- Atomic Deep Powder - delaminating lunch trays
- Atomic Sugar/Heli Daddy - no matter how hard you tried it didn't hold an edge
- Head Mojo - not really good at anything
- PM Gear Bro Model 1st gen - tons of chamber due to manufacturing issues
- Early LEKI telescope poles - collapsed at every slightly harder pole plant or push
- PM Gear Lhasa Pow - still like the ski for going Mach Looney but wish I had opted for a slightly shorter length nevertheless
- Nordica Enforcer 110 - not a bad ski as such but to playful and deflective for my taste

I bet you guys ridiculed TGR for ridiculing Epic Ski members for opting for ..... yes, METRONS! :ogbiggrin:
You were warned!:P

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Regarding the Metrons, I will give them some defense. I thought the M10, M11 AND EX were pretty good skis...in their day and compared to the other offerings it was the B5 that was too stiff and too everything for it's own good.

Sponsor

Staff online