• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skiing in Europe...off to a bad start

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Just got this from a friend in Kitz.
He is appalled.
Bad Start
I'm not exactly sure where this is but my friend is afraid the season will have to be aborted.
The epidemic of stupidity is not just confined to the USA.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Link didn't work :huh:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
works for me...ugly!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
So sad to see. Hope we can be a little more respectful of things this winter. But who knows, we have always thought of ourselves as a little bulletproof.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
This is at the base gondola that takes you from the parking lot to the Alpin Center (base of the glacier resort). Base lifts open at 8 AM I believe, from 7.45 there is this line (it's always there), and it's gone once the lift starts... at 8.10 AM let's say.
Also, this week (and the next two weeks) is extra busy because of school holidays. Lots of European and local (!) ski clubs have their on-snow training weeks for school kids. So I guess this is what high season looks like at a glacier resort (one of the few that was - until yesterday - in a non-restricted part of Austria). All Tyrolean resorts have restrictions and quarantine measure for people from most EU countries. The Kitzsteinhorn (or rather: Salzburgerland) did not, until today.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wasn't sure what I was seeing, but it looks like a bad quality home movie taken from 1970
@Cheizz Thanks for the explanation of the area.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Ah yes, it's the Hintertuxer Glacier (not the Kitz). In that case, only my (local) school holiday argument applies. Not the Salzburgerland argument.

But still: familiar scenes just before the lift opens in the morning. Lines are gonde 15 minutes later. Still no social distancing though. But that isn't much of a surprise for me, to be honest. In most cases, face masks are use in stead of actual distancing. Eventhough studies have shown that these masks don't really protect people equally effective...

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Not really that much different looking than boarding an airplane these days.
Lifts are running quite the same way in Tignes this past week. French school are on their Autumn Toussaint holiday. Our kid's team is training there for 2 weeks, but unfortunately we can't make it since we are stateside right now. We just see the pictures.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In Austria, a few incidents have been reported today. On the Stubaier Glacier, the police was called to enforce social distancing. They were called by officials of the ski resort. What they are most afraid of - especially in Austria, is that situations like this lead to cancellations this season. Since most of their local economies are heavily dependent on skiing, they want to nip this kind of behavior in the bud.
If it helps... who knows.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
In Austria, a few incidents have been reported today. On the Stubaier Glacier, the police was called to enforce social distancing. They were called by officials of the ski resort.

The use of police is probably easier in Austria since the ski lifts are considered a regulated public transport like railways etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
This is why we can’t have nice things.

I mean how absurd. Make people sign up for a time slot. Use an app, etc. We’ve had 7 months to deal with this.
Depressing, because I doubt it’ll be much different here.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yes they are...
Hard to see, but I don't see anyone in the posted lift queue video not wearing a mask. The subsequent post by @Cheizz also states masks in lieu of distancing seems to be happening.
I'm not really familiar with case numbers where this took place or where these people are traveling from, but at least here the aim really needs to be masks and distancing. Masks in lieu of distancing isn't really a thing, as far as I'm aware.

Personally, if this was the scene when I got to a resort, I'd probably just drive home. Not worth the risk, and even if the line dissipates quickly, this just sets the scene for people ignoring distancing elsewhere on the hill.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Cheizz ,
your explanation covers why it is busy. That’s not the issue with this picture. The problem is tons of people crowded close together.

I thinkresorts can really do a better job to reduce that, by building better liftline mazes.
It wont cure everything, but it will allow the people who want to keep their distance to do so.
If the maze is poor, everyone is afraid they’ll lose their spot if they keep too much space.

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
@Cheizz ,
your explanation covers why it is busy. That’s not the issue with this picture. The problem is tons of people crowded close together.
Fair enough. The amount of people there seems to line up with another trend that we see in Austria. The Austrian economy is more dependent on winter sports and tourism than in other alpine countries (France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland - they all have a much bigger proportion of their national economy not based on winter sports and tourism). There have been suggestions by Austrian politicians and tourism lobby groups to ease the corona measures in favor of tourism. Money over health, basically. We've seen that in Ischgl in March, we see is on a national level right now. They won't get the majority in parliament I think, but they will inspire local protests and maybe local policymakers too.
I have the idea that especially in Austria, the sentiment is changing. My theory is that that has something to do with winter sports being a bigger proportion of their economy than in other countries.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Have we any independent evidence that the video is actually taken recently? A friend in Austria says there have been "fake news" social media posts incorporating video or photos from last year around glacier skiing

Sponsor