• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Skiing in Europe...off to a bad start

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
St. Anton, along with the rest of Austria presumably, went into lockdown earlier this week. It is supposed to last for a month, until ~3 Dec. I suspect it will be extended based on what has inevitably happened elsewhere. A month does not seem enough to substantially drive down large numbers due to community transmission.

I have been told that perhaps 30% of accomm houses in the Arlberg have decided to not open for winter. I have no way of substantiating that figure, but I do know that Crystal, a major chalet operator, has cancelled their leases for this winter.

It will be a very different winter for sure. I just hope I can get out of Australia to get over there. We are currently not permitted to leave the country.

Last edited:

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ischgl has pushed its opening back to 17 Dec. St Anton, and presumably the rest of the Arlberg, are expected to do likewise. Whilst it is probably COVID restriction-related, it has been rather warm and more warm weather is forecast.

Cool video of light towers being installed in Zürs: Some pretty decent flying skills on display (and trust in the pilot, by the riggers on the tower).

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Are they adding night skiing?

I understand that the primary driver was the FIS Parallel GS, which will be an evening / night event. I assume there will be night skiing at some point, otherwise that is an absurd spend for one event.

The event has been put back to late Nov because of a lack of snow.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
An update on the FIS race prep at Zürs... it seems they have been a little naughty and started work before the permits were finalised, figuring the cost of an any penalties would be less than the cost of delay.

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c...n-auf-enormen-zeitdruck_a4341349#gallery=null

All that said, it looks like the race will cost an absurd amount of money to stage. Presumably the sums have been done and it was deemed worth it - but to who/whom? It also appears that the taxpayer has contributed at least EUR1.3m, possibly EUR2.3m (the article mentions another EUR500K from the municipalities of Lech and Zürs). How will the taxpayer benefit?

So much waste too. The lighting towers are to be dismantled after the season. What will be the enduring benefit? New pistes and snow-making? Beyond that? I doubt it will result in increased visitation to the area. The effect, especially with covid, will likely be transient - by the time we return to some sort of normal, the race will have been long-forgotten.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I've given up keeping tags on the situational developments but it appears clearer and clearer, unless a miracle occurs, that there won't be any skiing season here in Italy...too grim (or ridicolous, depends which facet one looks through at the situation).
A common protocol (capped accesses, lifts filling guidelines, etc etc) has been drafted by the involved Regions and presented to the central government only to be told..."good, for when the resorts opening will be allowed, but forget about Christmas and even about the 'white weeks'* "...Central Government is also contacting all other Alpine countries to propose a coordinated closure all throughout the alpine arc....which IMHO is an impossible feat (Switzerland is open and with an already tested protocol, so I don't see them agreeing on this), our PM will end up being laughed at by the PMs of the other countries, I think.

* white week = the traditional winter vacation of the Italian families (those that go to the mountains to ski, that is), typically a week long period of off-time between January and March...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I'm so sorry to hear this about your season, @Nobody. Is Italy rampant with covid deniers or mask haters as we are here in the states? Are people just congregating with friends inside their houses and catching/spreading it there? Are restaurants and gyms and so forth open so it's getting transmitted there? How about big events, do they happen? How and why this virus is spreading now so fast is still a mystery to me.

Nobody

Skier
Long story short :
It looks like not only Italy, but also France and Germany (Bavaria) will keep the mountains closed to tourists/skiers for the Christmas period, and maybe even further beyond that.
Poland is allowing (as far as what I've heard) polish ppl (I guess means people resident in Poland) only on the moutnains
So Italy might not end up being the laughing stock of other europeans...after all.

We are under curfew, so no displacements between 22.00 and 05.00; restaurants/bars/pubs etc to close at 18.00 and serve clients in a "take away" mode only
No gatherings (but see what happened in Neaples at the news of Diego Armando Maradona death)
Gyms, swimming pools and all training facilities are closed to the general public and accessible only to pro athletes or athletes classified as (of National interest"), Soccer allowed to contiune, only with no general public presence in the stadium.

I think the demographic of covid deniers and mask haters is, on average, the same as in all other countries (at least in Europe and the USA, I think)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
we are opening some of our major outdoor resorts on saturday

you can also travel here, but you have to stay at a temp hotel for 10 days with testing before we let you out on the wild.

Our infected numbers has not been good and a semi lockdown last 2-3 weeks, but I think lowest in europe right now?

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In France, the government has decided to not let the ski lifts closed until mid January, at lesat. So, no Christmas and New Year's skiing in France (unless you go alpine touring).
Italy has a little war going on between 'Rome' (federal government), who would like to see ski areas closed for the coming months (including at least Christmas) and the 'autonimous' regions of Trentino, Alto-Adige, Veneto etc., who are fighting this and are drafting plans to convince the central goverment to let the lifts run, or at least for local and second home-owners.

Nobody

Skier
In France, the government has decided to not let the ski lifts closed until mid January, at lesat. So, no Christmas and New Year's skiing in France (unless you go alpine touring).
Italy has a little war going on between 'Rome' (federal government), who would like to see ski areas closed for the coming months (including at least Christmas) and the 'autonimous' regions of Trentino, Alto-Adige, Veneto etc., who are fighting this and are drafting plans to convince the central goverment to let the lifts run, or at least for local and second home-owners.
Correct, you summed up nicely and more clarly all of my posts above, except that the "autonomous" regions are : Trentino & Alto-Adige, Friuli (Friaul of the old song "Wir zogen nach Friaul" for the german speaking ppl) and Valle d'Aosta. The other three main regions involved aren't autonomous (unfortunately for me) : Lombardy, Piedmont and Veneto. And all are "battling" with the central gov'nmt to overcome the decision, which I see not, what with France and Germany inclined to apply the same strategy....For the Italian speakers...on FB on the "neve italia" page there is an interesting interview with Andy Varallo, President of the DolomitiSuperski consortium discussing exactly the pros and cons and what they (the above regions and operators) have done in terms of agreening and establishing a protocol

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Austria is getting ready to open skiing, how well that will go :huh:

IMHO I think all governments, business leaders and medical professionals are not thinking straight. Each has specific goals and all actions are reactionary. Slow down actions, be proactive, plan and balance what is required, make it sustainable or its back to square one with even worse consequences.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As of now, in France, you can go within a20 km radius from your house, for max 3 hours.
So bc skiing is ok, of course you also need snow.

This replaces the 1km, 1h restriction of last month.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I cannot get any insurance if I travel to austria to ski now :| red red red zone., and seeing the attitude, not that stoked.

Id be happy with a km or hour restriction since I can basicly ski from my house... but yeah if people stop doing stupid stuff our numbers would drop fast. Now children in schools is the main issue here, and youth.

Nobody

Skier
This morning, news report that resorts will be allowed to open after Jan 7th-10th (Christmas season is then gone) but, it's not clear to me how people will be able to travel . People living in Red and Orange classified regions are barred from medium-long travels from their homes, unless serious or working reasons call for it, and skiing is not classified as a "serious" not "sound" reason enough, I suspect. Oh well, we shall see.
It is also said that Germany (citing their Canchellor Angela Merkel) is calling for an Europe-wide position on this and that she will "convince" (not exact quote : "to convince Austria it will be difficult, we will nevertheless try" ) Austria to fall in step with all the others...meh.
A temporary closure of borders between the alpine countries ( to avoid tourists mass migrating toward whichever country might decide not to adhere to the call) is also rumored...

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
I understand:
  1. Italy attempted to convince the EU to ban skiing for a period to be defined. The EU declined to issue such a regulation, stating it was outside its scope of authority.
  2. Switzerland has opened for skiing.
  3. Austria is keeping resorts closed to 17 Dec, but will not support an extended ban.
  4. Germany, Italy, and France all appear to support an extended ban.
  5. The situation in Scandi countries is unknown to me.
The situation is confused and fluid, at best. Perhaps somebody local has more authoritative informatio.

Nobody

Skier
I understand:
  1. Italy attempted to convince the EU to ban skiing for a period to be defined. The EU declined to issue such a regulation, stating it was outside its scope of authority.
  2. Switzerland has opened for skiing.
  3. Austria is keeping resorts closed to 17 Dec, but will not support an extended ban.
  4. Germany, Italy, and France all appear to support an extended ban.
  5. The situation in Scandi countries is unknown to me.
The situation is confused and fluid, at best. Perhaps somebody local has more authoritative informatio.
You couldn't have been clearer.
That's the situation as of today. AFAIK Scandi is open for skiing.

P.S.

Sponsor

Staff online