• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Skiing on Cape Breton?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Indeed, there is. Cape Smokey Ski area. Recently purchased and apparently $100m investment coming, including a new gondola and year-round destination development. Unfortunately, 4-5 hrs from Halifax and 2 hrs from Sydney. Hmmm..retirement looms....

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Retirement tour? Start at Marble, Cape Smokey, Massif......end on Vancouver Island....Good plan!!
It is $75 car and driver each way on the ferry to Vancouver Island and when you consider that V.I.'s Mt. Washington is roughly equivalent to one of the North Shore Mountains, it is safe to say that no one goes to Mt. Washington for a ski vacation. If you meet someone at Mt. Washington who is from off Island, it is safe to say that they came to The Island on other business and brought their ski gear with them.

Don't believe me, then check out any other ski area in B.C. and compare to Mt. Washington. Also with a captive Island population of almost 1M to draw skiers from, a busy weekend will deliver 3/4 hour lift lines, 5 minute chair ride and a 2-3 min. ski run.

The 2 big reasons that I live in Victoria but ski the B.C. Interior and not the coast: crowd avoidance and snow quality.

Sponsor

Staff online