• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis choices for heavier guy

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
@Betaracer do you think I would notice much difference between the Maverick 95 and the Maverick 100? I think the 95 would do a little better on trail while the 100 would be a little better off trail. I guess my biggest question is, do you think I would really even notice the difference in width between the two? Also do you think I would be able to tell much difference between 180cm and 188 in length? Thanks.
You will notice the length difference between the 180 and 188. For me, the 95 is more versatile than the 100; it skis more playful. 5mm isn't a big difference, but I could feel it on firmer snow, less on soft snow.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That can only be answered by you by demoing. The 100 might be the better option.
Thank you @Betaracer . I live in Chicago. Demo is not an option at the moment. I did flex hand flex the 95 today. It is oretty stout. I was impressed.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi, I'm 40 years old 6'0 and 250 pounds. I've been skiing for the last couple of years after a 16 year break. I am currently skiing on a pair of 176cm Elan Amphibio 84 Ti's. I live in Pocatello, Idaho ( 2 hours straight north of SLC on I-15) so I ski at Pebble Creek and Pomerelle Mountain. Targhee, Jackson and all the UT resorts are all within 2.5 hours of me . I ski with my 4 kids who range in age from 8-16, so I cover all kinds of terrain. I spend time on the groomed runs and off trail in the trees, etc. Since my current skis are on the narrow side, so I sink quite a bit when I'm off in the trees. I was looking at all mountain skis like the Atomic Maverick and the Elan Ripstick. Will these 2 skis be pretty comparable to each other? I'm also not sure if there would be much difference between the Maverick 95's and the 100's as well as the Ripstick 96 vs 106 for width. I'm thinking about getting 180 cm skis in length. Are there any other skis that might suit me better? I can get a brand new pair of Maverick 100 ti's with Tyrolia Attack 14 bindings for $500 and the Ripstick 96 with the same bindings for $550. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
6’2” 240lbs here. I recommend Nordica enforcer 94, volkl mantra m6, and enforcer unleashed 98. I got the latter 2 in 184 and 186. I probably should have gone for 191 for mantra. I haven’t skiied maverick 95 but the spec sheet looks like it will be kind of soft for heavier people. You can’t go wrong with enforcers. Many older folks like skinnier skis than what I like, so demo them before you buy them if you’re not sure.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Flex along the length is only one criteria when choosing a ski. How it flexes is much more important. The stiff shovel of the common 'stiff' skis requires a very stiff waist and tail. Why? Because these skis can't engage a shovel flex in softer conditions and instead plow until enough resistance is encountered to initiate the carve. Instead most skiers start a pivoted/scrubbed turn which leads to chatter, ultimately controlled by the stiff waist. The Maverick's softer (comparatively to the other brands, but not 'soft' soft by any means) tip engages easier helping the carve initiation followed by the sidecut. I haven't been limited by the lighter weight, shape, and flex pattern of the Maverick 95.
LOFT usually requires more demanding skis that can't be used fully.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
My buddy has a similar build 6'/250+ to the original poster and is looking for a new ski. He is in his mid 50s and just started skiing about 10 years ago. He is mostly skiing with his kids in the Mid-Atlantic and I would describe him as a cautious intermediate. He is seriously considering the Stockli Montero AR. The versatility and his build seem to make this a solid choice, but he is balking a little at the price. What is good second option? Volkl Deacon 84? Or would that be too demanding?

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
My buddy has a similar build 6'/250+ to the original poster and is looking for a new ski. He is in his mid 50s and just started skiing about 10 years ago. He is mostly skiing with his kids in the Mid-Atlantic and I would describe him as a cautious intermediate. He is seriously considering the Stockli Montero AR. The versatility and his build seem to make this a solid choice, but he is balking a little at the price. What is good second option? Volkl Deacon 84? Or would that be too demanding?
Other skis considering are the Stance 84 and Kanjo 84.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi, I'm 40 years old 6'0 and 250 pounds. I've been skiing for the last couple of years after a 16 year break. I am currently skiing on a pair of 176cm Elan Amphibio 84 Ti's. I live in Pocatello, Idaho ( 2 hours straight north of SLC on I-15) so I ski at Pebble Creek and Pomerelle Mountain. Targhee, Jackson and all the UT resorts are all within 2.5 hours of me . I ski with my 4 kids who range in age from 8-16, so I cover all kinds of terrain. I spend time on the groomed runs and off trail in the trees, etc. Since my current skis are on the narrow side, so I sink quite a bit when I'm off in the trees. I was looking at all mountain skis like the Atomic Maverick and the Elan Ripstick. Will these 2 skis be pretty comparable to each other? I'm also not sure if there would be much difference between the Maverick 95's and the 100's as well as the Ripstick 96 vs 106 for width. I'm thinking about getting 180 cm skis in length. Are there any other skis that might suit me better? I can get a brand new pair of Maverick 100 ti's with Tyrolia Attack 14 bindings for $500 and the Ripstick 96 with the same bindings for $550. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Howdy howdy! 6'2" and 200 here.

My limited understanding is that the Maverick 95 is a higher performance ski than the 100. That pair of mounted 100s with Attacks seems like a killer deal.

Honestly, budget aside, you could certainly do worse than a pair of the much-ballyhooed Enforcer 100s. They just work everywhere. I've been on a pair for 4 or 5 seasons, and I decided to get some fancy Blossoms this year just to try something different.

Personally, I love the way Elans ski but HATE the Amphibio design. Once you hammer an inside edge, you're stuck. No switching skis. I happened to this on DAY ONE with mine. Just not going there again.

The Retired Skier

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm right at 240 lbs. and my quiver is:

Rossignol Experience 82 Ti @ 176cm
Rossignol Sender 94 Ti @ 178cm
Nordica Enforcer 104 Free @ 179cm

I have not been able to find the speed limit on ANY of these three skis. More importantly, no matter how hard I lean into them, I have yet to make one wash out or chatter. All three easily hold my weight!

Sponsor

Staff online