• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis for maximizing your bump skiing practice time?

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are dedicated mogul skis that are a bit more versatile with a bit of rocker and tighter turn radius than most bump skis.
Would still be a fun ski even out of a bump run and about 1/2 price off regular retail.

A bit more description about them on another site.

Lol. I just dredged these ones up on Ski Diva yesterday and nudged @skiki to buy them.

TS
MissySki

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Go with something mid to high 150.

We ski Taos. Tons of bumps. Most women here with your stats are on 157- 161. In that length, it is more sensitive to fore and aft balance adjustments. It will be less stable on the groomers at first. Until you get your fore and aft balance dialed in. Then it will be just as stable. Indian, not arrow.

If that is your goal. Come to the Taos gathering. A ski week will do wonders.

I am actually going to Taos for the first time this season, very excited to get out there! During the women’s ski week, end of February/early March.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lol. I just dredged these ones up on Ski Diva yesterday and nudged @skiki to buy them.
Although I was also asking about skis for the baby bumps I'll be attempting to poke my way through over on Ski Diva, I think it is safe to say I should be staying away from actual mogul skis at this point in my development and just stick to adding mogul friendly skis to my demo list.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Brings back memories of how hard it was to sell these. Maybe they were “before their time”. 88s or 98s (black pearl) would have sold for double in no time. I guess people didn’t ski moguls back then. :huh:

The Latigo has a bit of a cult following here, for good reason.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although I was also asking about skis for the baby bumps I'll be attempting to poke my way through over on Ski Diva, I think it is safe to say I should be staying away from actual mogul skis at this point in my development and just stick to adding mogul friendly skis to my demo list.
Remember that time we accidentally went down a bumpy black trail at Killington together? Type 2 fun! Fondest memories!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You should come ski the mogul clinic with me and @LiquidFeet at MRG — we’ve earmarked 2/17 for the clinic. Will call them about it soon to confirm. There’s one more pet-friendly guest room in my house available so Sookie can come.

I am actually going to Taos for the first time this season, very excited to get out there! During the women’s ski week, end of February/early March.

And then there is the New England Gathering, at which bumps will surely abound, barring truly unfortunate weather. I doubt, however, that anyone will be taking technique (or anything else) very seriously by that point in the season.

TS
MissySki

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And then there is the New England Gathering, at which bumps will surely abound, barring truly unfortunate weather. I doubt, however, that anyone will be taking technique (or anything else) very seriously by that point in the season.

In 2021 I had the BEST day skiing bumps and trees all day at Saddleback in early March. It was like Western snow, no ice to be found. I would love to hit it like that again.

I may try to make it to some of the gathering, but can’t commit yet.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Good to hear. You'll have a good time.

We'll miss you. Will be at the National gathering and Jackson the week after. Won't be back in town until 3/12.

Have fun.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In 2021 I had the BEST day skiing bumps and trees all day at Saddleback in early March. It was like Western snow, no ice to be found. I would love to hit it like that again.

Slush bumps are a gateway drug!

Those Factions look excellent...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Don't forget that there's a Diva get-together that somewhat overlaps the SkiTalk one. Ours is Sun-Mon-Tues at Saddleback.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

FWIW, keep in mind Taos is a very bumpy hill. Most women skiers I hang out with at Taos are generally on 85 to 95 underfoot. They also like to run them a little shorter. Around 158 for a #125. Terrain can get a bit tight here.

TS
MissySki

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia since I found an old review of the Cheyenne you wrote.. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this topic with all of the skis you have also demoed since. And also if I understood your comment on sizing to mean that I should stick to the 163 versus going down to a 156 if I were to try the Cheyenne?

TS
MissySki

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, keep in mind Taos is a very bumpy hill. Most women skiers I hang out with at Taos are generally on 85 to 95 underfoot. They also like to run them a little shorter. Around 158 for a #125. Terrain can get a bit tight here.
Definitely will keep this in mind!

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our group at Taos last year spent the week working on moguls. I think I made progress and certainly gained confidence on BP88s, 159. @MissySki, you've skied with me back East prior to that mogul week. I'm a little taller, a bit heavier. Not incline to ski fast. I asked my instructor about my skis, and he said "you could go shorter." If money is not a big object, and you will save on baggage one way, you might consider demoing to buy for the week out at Taos (one member of my class did that) so you can determine what you like and what will allow you to progress in moguls. Maybe in the afternoon you can hunt around for some scratchy terrain to convince yourself you'll be stable enough back East. I would say that King Grump knows of what he speaks, so if he says 158 for 125#, I'd head in that direction.

TS
MissySki

MissySki

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Our group at Taos last year spent the week working on moguls. I think I made progress and certainly gained confidence on BP88s, 159. @MissySki, you've skied with me back East prior to that mogul week. I'm a little taller, a bit heavier. Not incline to ski fast. I asked my instructor about my skis, and he said "you could go shorter." If money is not a big object, and you will save on baggage one way, you might consider demoing to buy for the week out at Taos (one member of my class did that) so you can determine what you like and what will allow you to progress in moguls. Maybe in the afternoon you can hunt around for some scratchy terrain to convince yourself you'll be stable enough back East. I would say that King Grump knows of what he speaks, so if he says 158 for 125#, I'd head in that direction.
The Cheyennes are either 156 or 163, if I were to try those.. I guess 156 is not that much shorter than 158 though. :)

I am flying on Southwest, so skis will fly free, but not opposed to demoing while there as well if beneficial.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Although I was also asking about skis for the baby bumps I'll be attempting to poke my way through over on Ski Diva,
You can but at any point, more their more respected and knowlegible members are over here than over there. :roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia since I found an old review of the Cheyenne you wrote.. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this topic with all of the skis you have also demoed since. And also if I understood your comment on sizing to mean that I should stick to the 163 versus going down to a 156 if I were to try the Cheyenne?

Whew, lots to process...
I think at your size you will likely enjoy the 156 better.
The Cheyenne changed to the BP 78 if you can still find one. The BP82 is the next option in this area.

If you can find an old BP78 or Cheyenne hanging around, snag it.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I dunno; I skied a 160’s Black Pearl on Mary Jane bumps (demo), and it was great for me. I was surprised at its stability on the groomers back to the lift, and I was not taking my time. I also had it in powder in the trees and it was super fun. I giggled the whole time there! I’d say stay in the mid to high 150’s.

Sponsor

Staff online