• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis For the Aspen Gathering

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
It is getting to crunch time for those not living in Co. to decide what skis to bring to the Aspen Gathering nest week. Any local advice on how the mountains should be ski during that time? For sure, my Solly Q98's will be there for soft snow days, my other skis have a firm snow carving basis. I've a Transpack double ski bag and undecided about bringing a carver.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Snow predicted Sat night through next Thursday...bring powder skis and/or soft snow skis!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was there for the past week and brought only my Motive 95s. I never felt like I wanted or needed a different ski.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I was there for the past week and brought only my Motive 95s. I never felt like I wanted or needed a different ski.

Thanks Bob
I know you have some knee issues and my knees have not liked eastern skiing this season. Your Motive 95's are on my list to try as a ski with a little more hard snow competency than my Sollies. How are they on your knees compared to other skis?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Bob
I know you have some knee issues and my knees have not liked eastern skiing this season. Your Motive 95's are on my list to try as a ski with a little more hard snow competency than my Sollies. How are they on your knees compared to other skis?
Well,
What helps my knees most are what I refer to as knee management: striving for efficient technique, conditioning, wearing cw-x tights, using the foam roller, and vitamin Ibuprofen. Having said that, I do find that wider skis (say, wider than 110) add stress to my knees. And a more precise ski, assuming that I am on my skis with effective technique, is less stressful on my knees. So, since the Motives are more precise than my previous skis (Hell n Backs), I am finding that I am ending my day with less knee pain. YMMV.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
Well,
What helps my knees most are what I refer to as knee management: striving for efficient technique, conditioning, wearing cw-x tights, using the foam roller, and vitamin Ibuprofen. Having said that, I do find that wider skis (say, wider than 110) add stress to my knees. And a more precise ski, assuming that I am on my skis with effective technique, is less stressful on my knees. So, since the Motives are more precise than my previous skis (Hell n Backs), I am finding that I am ending my day with less knee pain. YMMV.
As you know, i also started using the compression tights this past week (cw-x stabilyx). Short sample but my knees felt really much better. Better enough that i just ordered another pair. Anyway, great day at the jewel of the poconos today (blue mt). Fast and smooth and much harder (hopefully) than what you will be getting in aspen. Recommended ski, a nice cheater gs with a 67 - 68 width. Have a great time.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hrm. Forecast seems to have gotten a little less snowy than it was when I checked a couple of days ago. Lately it seems like my go-to ski is the La Nina, so I'll probably be on that, maybe on the Santa Ana.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have a double ski bag,,,pack two pair!!!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Well,
I do find that wider skis (say, wider than 110) add stress to my knees. And a more precise ski, assuming that I am on my skis with effective technique, is less stressful on my knees. . YMMV.
My 110 Nordicas are causing a bit of soreness in my knees But until a few years ago I used 78's and 98's mostly. Bruising the left knee in a Mt bike fall 3 months ago, of course, didn't help !

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They are my husband's daily Utah driver as well. He reaches for them more and more even with some powder out there.

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
You may need skis for your plane. When are you leaving?

Very early Monday. Will be in Denver by 10 am, weather forecast indicates Denver will get 4 to 6 inches throughout the day. As I have a direct flight and the plane will be in Philly overnight, just hoping for the best. The drive could be interesting.

Sponsor

Staff online