• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I ran into a guy at Big Sky this winter that was still on his Legend Pro Rider XXL. I was commenting on how I used to have the Mythic Riders and I loved that generation of Dynastar skis. He said while he has several pairs of newer generation skis, the Pro Riders are still his go to skis and he wished Dynastar still made them.

It made me wonder what other skis from years gone by would you still use over any newer ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Off the my head...

Blizzard Magnum 8.1/8.7
Dynastar Legend 94
Head iRally (original)
Head Monster 83/88/94 (original)
Kastle MX70/78/88/98
Kastle FX95
Nordica Enforcer
Rossgnol Classic 70/80
Salomon X-Race
Salomon Sentinal

I am sure I can come up with more.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How long ago is a previous generation?

The old K2 Threes and Hexcels are retro ski entertainment - not serious drivers.

However, if a decade is a generation, I'm still loving my Goode 74s. Very conventional sidecut that was the rage 10 to 15 years ago. Fairly normal flex and camber for those days as well. Unique construction making them light and durable so they have lasted quite well for me. When something works and continues to perform, it's not obsolete. Still able to glean enough of these to keep me in reasonably fresh skis today.

Note, I have bought several skis since. These are no longer my go to powder skis (used to be! And if I find powder on these I'm able to fully enjoy it.). Never were fun in the ice. But for all around skiing with a few bumps mixed in, nothing I've demoed or bought has convinced me these skis don't still rock. Skis aren't obsolete until they are unavailable or something noticeably better blows them away.

Wait, what am I saying? If you have old Goode 74s you must get off them and send them to me for proper disposal!

Went to Big Bear this winter and only had some 15 year old K2 Enemys to take there. Quite nice skis on mixed conditions. Borrowed some 3 year old all mountain skis (unremarkable and I've forgotten the brand) the next day. The K2s were a lot more fun. Older skis had quality designs to get the most out of the snow and mountain. Well, the snow is still snow and the mountains are the same so the skis will still rock! And time weeded out all the crap from those days. The Enemys are still in the garage in San Diego ready for the next Big Bear trip.

Eric

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Had a pair if these J Nobis D* (2003?) when I first moved out here. 188 117-89-110 first new school/twin tip in my quiver that at the time was a Fischer race ski and a late model Volant chubb. Probably put 200+ days on them and only retired them because they noodled out. I still see them around a few times a season which is crazy since they are 15 years old.
image.jpeg

Mantra
image.jpeg

Would be interesting to step on the chubbs again with the crazy advancement in powder skis since 2002
image.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I will be interested if the new M5 Mantra captures some of the magic of these.

Remember, the Chubb was only 88mm underfoot..narrow by todays standards.

I think it was 94 the year I had it but it was long (192?) and fast

Funny to think that the D* was considered fat at the time. People used to always comment about the ski being so fat but now 90mm is my skinniest by a good bit.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The Volkl Snow Ranger from the early 90s was arguably the first successful fat ski and was king of the crud. Probably still is, but oh so much more effort to turn 'em compared to today's much lighter skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it was 94 the year I had it but it was long (192?) and fast

Funny to think that the D* was considered fat at the time. People used to always comment about the ski being so fat but now 90mm is my skinniest by a good bit.
Yeah, that one was a whopping 94 underfoot. IIRC, at the end Sports Authority were selling the NOS ones and Machate FB's for like $125.00. I bought some for me and @HeluvaSkier.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Yeah, that one was a whopping 94 underfoot. IIRC, at the end Sports Authority were selling the NOS ones and Machate FB's for like $125.00. I bought some for me and @HeluvaSkier.

That was a great ski. I wager I or someone in my family would still be skiing it as a early/late season rock ski if I had gone for the 185 instead of the 175. I think my brother has them now...

On topic... I still have an original pair of 175cm Fischer Progressors that I ski regularly. I think they are from 2008.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm still using my 2006 model Rossignol B-squad as my touring and offpiste ski, unless it's deep powder. Picture from a quick tour on last saturday.
Bsquad.jpg

Back in the days the "default" choice for freeskiers over here was either Rossignol XXX or the Dynastar (intuitiv big, 4x4, arno adam, big, pro rider). The B-squad and the Pro rider in the OP was sort of the last incarnation of these. Before rocker and stuff ogwink

I'm still using them because I'm cheap and ignorant, not because I've tried the current options and concluded that the old ones are better. Days of offpiste and back country touring are few and far between these days so buying new skis doesn't seem like a good investment. Two kids and living on the wrong side of the country, 2 childfree weekends in total in the last 7 years. Did spend both of them BC touring though. Rather spend money on new SL-skis and perhaps a monster 83 for filthy groomers on the wrong coast.

I have them installed with inserts for alpine bindings and dynafit. Nice and space conserving in the roof box when all members of the family bring at least 2 pairs of skis each (and me usually 4) for holidays on the right coast. Not having to do that installation process again is also a good reason to keep onto these old dogs.

Whenever i feel they are limiting me I will put on an old MSP movie with Hugo Harrison skiing on skis with at least he same topsheet. If it was working that good for him, why shouldn't it be working for meogwink

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had a pair of Volant skis back in 2000 that still rock the guy I sold them to and they were great crud busters.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
One of my favorite skis ever was one of my first non race skis {and non powder skis}: a 184cm Stockli Stormrider XL. It had a 75mm waist, a 20.8M radius, and a full on GS layup. Great build quality, great materials. I had two pairs with the red white and blue flame topsheets, and a couple pairs of the ones that followed, same dimensions, same ski, different topsheet. The brown/orange "textured" one. I skied those skis on everything, everywhere. Loved them. When they were maybe 8 years old, I decided that they are just too nice to use as a rock ski, and I had "plenty" of newer skis. And some beaters.

So I sold two pairs.....to a Pugger. I know they went to a good home. I bet those still ski very well. I put 500 days on the one pair that I killed. If I had a Trione at the time, I bet I could have gone longer. Edges got very thin, and I rolled one out of the ski. To the dumpster....

It was nice to have a Stockli relationship back then.

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I still go back to my Volkl Explosiv CMH (Yellow and Blue CMH top sheet) from 1992. (120-95-112 IIRC)

Really a great ski.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really liked my Scott P4 wish I hadn’t sold them.

I still have my original Praxis Powderboards 185cm. Those things are really fun on the right day. Heavy snow and not many people. I may take them with me Sunday.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Blizzard Supersonic, c. 2010. Still the grippiest non-FIS ski I've ever been on. And FUN.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will have to drag my Rossi 7XK's out of the recesses of the garage and see if I can still ski them.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I will have to drag my Rossi 7XK's out of the recesses of the garage and see if I can still ski them.
I recommend not going straight from SL to antique. Switch to GS or mid twenties radius ski the day before; falling over at 4 mph because you're too far inside the turn is embarrassing, but hurts less than doing so at 40 mph. Also maybe start off with outside ski to outside ski drill.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I ran into a guy at Big Sky this winter that was still on his Legend Pro Rider XXL. I was commenting on how I used to have the Mythic Riders and I loved that generation of Dynastar skis. He said while he has several pairs of newer generation skis, the Pro Riders are still his go to skis and he wished Dynastar still made them.

It made me wonder what other skis from years gone by would you still use over any newer ski.

First off skis from a decade back are not old or outdated. The decade before that, let's call it the transitional years, say 1995-2005 or so, was a 'learning' and experimental time. We saw some really wild stuff and as would be expected they took it too far perhaps in both directions (width and shape). Then things calmed down a bit and what worked developed further and what didn't got stuck on someone's wall! The pre 1995 skis still works as good as they ever did (unless damaged or plain worn out) and bring smiles to my face every time out on them. And before folks start knocking them, if you were so miserable on 'straight skis' why did you continue with the sport? I find they do some things better than the current generation of skis and other things with either more effort or more skill required. Also keep in mind 'they can only sell you something you don't have' ;)

Bottom line is if you're having fun out there ski what ever you like. And if you want to test your nostalgia meter, ski them back to back with something from another era... it's both interesting and fun!!! :beercheer: