• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis scratched during delivery

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hello everybody. New to skiing and to this forum. Just finished my first full season around 20 times on the slopes on Mt Hood, fulfilling my lifelong dream to ski. After long research, I decided to upgrade my beginner Elan Waveflex 76 (176 cm) with Rossignol Experience 82 Basalt (184 cm) for the next season. I took advantage of an end of season deal and found a very good price from Level 9 Sports for new ones and just got delivered. My question. One of the skis has a long scratch (first photo) and also a half inch deeper scratch that looks and feels almost like a crack (2nd photo)...Being new, I don't know if I should worry about this, go to Evo to check them out, contact L9 and complain, or ignore as it's nothing...Appreciate your help!
The skis were sold as new and the low price was a result of an end of season sale not because they were damaged goods. The long scratch is not something I would worry about but the second one that is about "a half inch deeper" that is the one that I would be concerned about. That needs to be sealed with P-tex. That is what you should use your $15.00 to fix.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not being sarcastic here. A rare occasion where I am not but it is true. I'd complain. Seriously.
Ah see, I know you well enough that I read your sarcastic sense of humor into that. My bad.

Needless to say, I don't practice all of the fruits of the spirit, which disappoints my mom ;)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

1682517224286.png

:roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
The skis have no structure, and without checking it’s not a given the base is ok in flatness. Upshot- sooner or later they should be ground anyway.

Another application for bright yellow bases- you’d never see those scratches without extreme effort.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The skis have no structure, and without checking it’s not a given the base is ok in flatness. Upshot- sooner or later they should be ground anyway.

Another application for bright yellow bases- you’d never see those scratches without extreme effort.

Are you really saying Fischer are smarter than us? But…but…but…that simply cannot be… :( :(

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
You and I know that, but they are not my words, just the OP statement, that is why it was in quotes.
"Half inch deeper scratch." I'm pretty sure the reasonable interpretation of OP's statement is that it is a half-inch long scratch that is deeper than the longer scratch in the other ski. Regardless, neither look significant. It is annoying to get new skis with scratches in the base, but practically there doesn't appear to be any reason for concern.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
"Half inch deeper scratch." I'm pretty sure the reasonable interpretation of OP's statement is that it is a half-inch long scratch that is deeper than the longer scratch in the other ski. Regardless, neither look significant. It is annoying to get new skis with scratches in the base, but practically there doesn't appear to be any reason for concern.
I would have to get a better photo of the shorter scratch can not really tell from that photo.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I first looked at Evo, Next Adventure, and REI, all with brick and mortars in pdx. But only L9 had these skis in stock...I would have even paid more to get them from local stores, yes. Anyways, I contacted L9 and after sending some photos, they promptly replied they would cover any cost of repair plus $15. I will go tomorrow to Evo to see if they can clean them up and maybe add a wax and tuneup and bindings release check while im at it. If L9 makes good on the promise to cover the repair portion, I would call it a pretty good customer service and be satisfied.

I don't think it needs any "repair". Just ski it next season or 2, then it is time for a fresh base grind. But I do think L9 should give you some extra discount. As I have seen, some online retailers, e.g. Poweder7, put skis like these under "blemished" category and offer extra discount. I personally won't mind the scratch in the second picture, but the one in the first is just way too obvious for new skis.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Look at it from another angle, keeping quiet would meen keeping valuable feedback from the seller. By complaining he’d actually help them improve on their handling processes. Would they take the complaint into account is entirely different story but it’s his duty as a customer to point to the imperfections.
This is a good point.

Look at how this thread developed. Had the OP not made any contact with the seller, he'd be left with a somewhat negative impression of the quality of goods the seller sells. He probably won't buy from them again and may even say something like "I don't know, not the best experience I've had with them" when asked.

By contacting the seller and made a (hopefully polite) complain, the seller had a chance to make it right, to the full satisfaction of the buyer. He's now feeling this seller is good at standing behind their product. And most likely in the future will give them the business when there's a similarly priced product from the seller.

If you were the seller, which would you prefer? A buyer harboring negative impression without you even know about it? Or a buyer who gives you a chance to make it right?

James

Out There
Instructor
My only conclusion from this is that you think all skis should have bright yellow bases. I think I agree.
Yes if their owners don’t want to worry about scratches.
B) For signaling the Chinese balloon or the space station.

Otherwise, they’re #2 on the list, after square tips, of horrible things.

James

Out There
Instructor
Where do holes in tips fall? Do you have a complete list of "James' Horrible Things"? :D
Honestly, after skiing the Fischer slaloms a lot, I will put it far down from the ridiculous Kastle FX tips. Loud, and they’re flappers.
Not a great sound either. Surely the most over rated tip ever. First gen did not make that horrible sound.
The noise from the Fischer comes not from the tip but from being hit in the shin by say corn snow shooting through the hole. At speed it’s like a motor boat.

TS
S

stoik

Booting up
Skier
This is a good point.

Look at how this thread developed. Had the OP not made any contact with the seller, he'd be left with a somewhat negative impression of the quality of goods the seller sells. He probably won't buy from them again and may even say something like "I don't know, not the best experience I've had with them" when asked.

By contacting the seller and made a (hopefully polite) complain, the seller had a chance to make it right, to the full satisfaction of the buyer. He's now feeling this seller is good at standing behind their product. And most likely in the future will give them the business when there's a similarly priced product from the seller.

If you were the seller, which would you prefer? A buyer harboring negative impression without you even know about it? Or a buyer who gives you a chance to make it right?
Completely agree.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:dig:

Sponsor

Staff online