• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Skis with bindings for elderly guy

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
78 to 88 under foot, 170 to 177. He can ski very difficult trails and has been skiing 59 years. He is better than intermediate but he really doesn't know how to ski. I would say "advanced" for the type of ski. He is 6'3 or 4" and weighs 205 to 210lbs. He loves to ski and wants to get better - he doesn't pay attention when I tell him what to do. Ideally a ski that knows how to carve yet has some element of forgiveness would be nice. Presently he is on a Rossi, Phantom 80 which might be the precursor to the Experience. His present ski has been rejected for tuning out of fear the machine may get damaged. I have offered to hand tune them.

Frugality is important.

Last edited:

Magwai

Novice skier, expert faller!!!
Skier
Not mine but would serve him well

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink has some good vibe info on that ski.
I love(d) the Elan Wingman 86CTi. Very forgiving yet capable across a variety of conditions. He'd have to get used to the Amphibio construction and make sure the skis are on the correct foot.

Another one that "knows how to carve" is the Renoun Z90. You'd have to find a used one as they aren't produced now but that ski is what made me WANT to ski again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another one that "knows how to carve" is the Renoun Z90. You'd have to find a used one as they aren't produced now but that ski is what made me WANT to ski again.
There is still the Atlas 80.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is still the Atlas 80.
I like that too but the Z90, as we've discussed, was something special. So easy to tool along on and make tracks but enough in the tank to make you hang on when you hit the pedal. The Atlas requires, IMO, more attention across the board. Maybe the OP's friend likes that.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw a z-90, 174cm on FB Marketplace the other day (up in ME but they'll ship) but I don't know if $350 would fall under your/ your friend's definition of frugality.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
He's a survivalist and not a technician.

He looked at the Liberty Evolv 84 and I told him no way. Too much ski. I don't know much about the Z90. It would probably be tough to find but it sounds like a perfect match.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saw a z-90, 174cm on FB Marketplace the other day (up in ME but they'll ship) but I don't know if $350 would fall under your/ your friend's definition of frugality.

Nice find! Thank you.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know much about Rosi gear. But it certainly is worth a look.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Pick up a used Head Titan in a 177, it is 80 under foot and carves a nice turn and should carry the 205 lbs with out a problem. A used pair should be a reasonable price and people have been talking about used models of discontinued skis.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have that ski and he can test ride it anytime. That ski is a very demanding ski and I have crossed it off the list. I was thinking maybe the e or i Rally.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
What about this ski?

2021 KASTLE FX 86 SKIS​

Intermediate to advanced. Sounds nimble

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have that ski and he can test ride it anytime. That ski is a very demanding ski and I have crossed it off the list. I was thinking maybe the e or i Rally.
You are correct it a demanding ski, I have skied it in 170 CM and I am 185 lbs, but put 205 - 210 lbs on it and it should calm it down some. Plus it is a good idea to purchase a ski to grow into rather than growing out of.

Sponsor