• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skis with Tail Release in Unreleasable Snow

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So what part of the tibia would that be?
The distal end, in the middle?
If you’re on your feet, the force is going to come from “under” the tibia.
Splitting hairs. Certainly the weight should not be under the balls of the feet

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Not even "sometimes"? Your BoS should flow through the turn in respect to the CoM. Dynamic skiing. The Phantom move is what starts the process for me. IMO

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not even "sometimes"? Your BoS should flow through the turn in respect to the CoM. Dynamic skiing. The Phantom move is what starts the process for me. IMO
Is this the phantom move described by harb?

If so, you pull the feet back to pressure the front of the ski but your weight is still under the tibia

James

Out There
Instructor
Not really.
F3C7F6DA-E3CE-4A7E-A9B3-01BB19762B84.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The issue with the Sender Ti is the mount point. It's really forward, even at 0. I skied the 186 at -3 a day last season (20-21)... $$$ money $$$.

(Rather than ball of the foot, ski through the arch.)

Bingo. I did the same with my Black Crows Noctas (went -3cm, rearward of the rec. line) and wow. Huge difference, better ski. If you dont ski switch having too much tail even with a lot of rocker is really bad for skiing steep terrain and grabby snow.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Is this the phantom move described by harb?

If so, you pull the feet back to pressure the front of the ski but your weight is still under the tibia
PMTS it works. Weight under Tib, you can stack. But pressure should be managed over the whole foot.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To me, the whole thing has to be dynamic, by feel, dialed in for the ski and terrain/conditions, not focused on just one body part, or fixed.

But I think as temporary exercises these focuses seem useful (like racers skiing with their poles locked in their elbows behind their backs turned horizontally, for instance; or skiing only on the uphill ski, as another). Just for fun, I found "hovering" over the base of the tibia to be fun; and then different than "hovering over the toe piece." Usually, I find skiing from my arches in a dynamic way useful often. But at some point I'd rather get the dynamic feel of things, including my body, skis and edges flexing, and then just ski with my whole body, unconscious and dialed in. Sort of like riding a bike.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I'll bite.

When did your weight be under the ball of your foot?
My weight did be under the ball of my foot as well as did be under my heel as I did be skiing.

Here’s an exercise: without ski boots on, stand on one foot. To balance in a static position, you may find your weight balanced equally between the ball of the foot and the heel. Of course when skiing we’re not balancing from a static position, we’re moving forward, so to move along with our forward movement we adjust forward, sometimes more and sometimes less. Usually more weight on the ball of the foot than on the heel, with the ratios constantly adjusting, but never no weight on the ball of the foot.

So it’s constant fore and aft adjustments, with the experience of weight along the arch (which may or may not actually have contact with anything depending on one‘s footbed/boot setup. Arches in general serve to direct weight along the structure of its segments to the ground.

Arches (the kind in our feet) do not actually support weight. They are like mini shock absorbers.

From Wikipedia:
The medial longitudinal arch in particular creates a space for soft tissues with elastic properties, which act as springs, particularly the thick plantar aponeurosis, passing from the heel to the toes. Because of their elastic properties, these soft tissues can spread ground contact reaction forces over a longer time period, and thus reduce the risk of musculoskeletal wear or damage, and they can also store the energy of these forces, returning it at the next step and thus reducing the cost of walking and, particularly, running, where vertical forces are higher.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The issue with the Sender Ti is the mount point. It's really forward, even at 0. I skied the 186 at -3 a day last season (20-21)... $$$ money $$$.

Bingo. I did the same with my Black Crows Noctas (went -3cm, rearward of the rec. line) and wow. Huge difference, better ski. If you dont ski switch having too much tail even with a lot of rocker is really bad for skiing steep terrain and grabby snow.

@markojp, @Ken_R, thanks for this. I haven't been one to play with mount points, but maybe I should. Perhaps a solution to tail lock snow is a directional ski with -3. I wonder if this works for a Bonafile or Cochise. Does anyone adjust their mount point based on snow conditions?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
@markojp, @Ken_R, thanks for this. I haven't been one to play with mount points, but maybe I should. Perhaps a solution to tail lock snow is a directional ski with -3. I wonder if this works for a Bonafile or Cochise. Does anyone adjust their mount point based on snow conditions?

The Bonefide and Cochise are where they need to be.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ill just leave this here...

If you want to ski it this way... You gotta ski that way. If you just ski like you would on a monster 98 or a bone.... There's no point to getting the ski.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ill just leave this here...

If you want to ski it this way... You gotta ski that way. If you just ski like you would on a monster 98 or a bone.... There's no point to getting the ski.

That guy would NOT like a monster 98.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That guy would NOT like a monster 98.
Precisely.

When I am on my monster 98 the question of should I break the tails free never comes up in the context of snow conditions. If the snow is shitty the best approach is just carving em. And if I think that won't work because the snow is grabby and not releaseable, I just commit to carving them even more. When going gets tough; gotta play to your strengths.

Sponsor

Staff online