• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review SkiSkootys Bootaclava boot warmers

Porfiry

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
They are $39.99USD on Amazon.com so it looks like Amazon Canada is ripping off Canadian customers. While I am not a big fan of Walmart, I will shop Walmart.ca before Amazon.ca, if I can.

I mean, it's not sold by Amazon.ca, it's a third-party seller. Place blame where it belongs.

I bought some DryGuys for $40 from Amazon.ca and they work well enough. The fit is snug enough that I could probably just stick a chemical warmer under the neoprene and it'd stay put. No need for a pocket.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I tried them. What did I do wrong? I think they acted like a sea anchor.
8239BDC0-3AE2-4AC2-A49C-838BF9C38ABD.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

silverback

Skier
I bought a large. My boots are 27.5 (313bsl)
Amazon says
“Large (Adult) Bootaclavas measuring 26-30 centimeters (US womens size 8-12 and mens size 7-11”

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried them. What did I do wrong? I think they acted like a sea anchor. View attachment 160832
I was going to do a follow-up. I had a similar, though not quite as bad, issue when I finally got into loose snow. I guess I'll have to try the velcro on the boots. Initially it was just groomers without a lot of "in the snow", just on it.

silverback

Skier
I don’t get the Velcro patch on the inside front. Was there supposed to be a stick-on mate? Nothing like that came with mine.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t get the Velcro patch on the inside front. Was there supposed to be a stick-on mate? Nothing like that came with mine.
There were a couple of stick on strips in mine.

silverback

Skier
Seems like there should have been in mine too. Before I throw mine in the trash, If anyone wants them they can have them for postage cost.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any updates from users?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any updates from users?
I've been using mine fairly frequently this season as it's been pretty chilly, more so than usual. They are holding up well; the only damage was my fault when I click in and caught the back in my binding. That tore some neoprene but not to where the glove was non-functional. With my boot heaters and the SkiSkooty, I have been able to ski comfortably in 0° or a bit less several times this season. Even in warmer temps of 10°-20° they work well when you're IN snow like we've been fortunate to enjoy this year. That extra layer between shell and snow really helps.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to do a follow-up. I had a similar, though not quite as bad, issue when I finally got into loose snow. I guess I'll have to try the velcro on the boots. Initially it was just groomers without a lot of "in the snow", just on it.
After using them for about a year any more thoughts about this issue? Have you or anyone else used the hand warmers in the pouches? If so any noticeable difference? My 15+ year old Boot Gloves are more duct tape than neoprene, I ski in the quite cold Head Raptor WCR plug boots and unfortunately electric boot warmers are not in the budget. Thank goodness that spring skiing is here although today started at a balmy 3 degrees.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After using them for about a year any more thoughts about this issue? Have you or anyone else used the hand warmers in the pouches? If so any noticeable difference? My 15+ year old Boot Gloves are more duct tape than neoprene, I ski in the quite cold Head Raptor WCR plug boots and unfortunately electric boot warmers are not in the budget. Thank goodness that spring skiing is here although today started at a balmy 3 degrees.
I didn't bother with the velcro. I just check for snow and knock it out. Haven't used the Chem pack pockets.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have ancient Boot Gloves, probably 15 years old. Haven't needed them at all some seasons, but used them this year quite a bit. They need to have the toe folded under to accommodate the binding, but it seems to help with keeping snow out. No wear issues as I avoid walking across hard surfaces anyway. No issues with edges slicing them as there is a plastic patch along the side. I generally only use them when it's -10°F to 10°F. I've found that adding more layers (style be damned) is pretty effective most of the time.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back to the tried and true Boot Gloves.

Well, the Boot Gloves finally started looking and acting their (ancient) age.

Was set to buy another pair, but went ahead and burned some REI dividend on a pair of the new-to-me Snux covers.

A bit more covereage, a bit less clunky looking, but the biggest thing for me is that the "reach" to get them on/off doesn't tweak my lousy knees like the BG can.

Didn't see that one coming.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, the Boot Gloves finally started looking and acting their (ancient) age.

Was set to buy another pair, but went ahead and burned some REI dividend on a pair of the new-to-me Snux covers.

A bit more covereage, a bit less clunky looking, but the biggest thing for me is that the "reach" to get them on/off doesn't tweak my lousy knees like the BG can.

Didn't see that one coming.
Please post a review after you get some time in them. At $88 it’s like 3x more than the other neoprene boot covers and there aren’t too many reviews out there in the interwebby.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pat AKA mustski's husband Bob got a pair of Seirus Boot Masques that look good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Please post a review after you get some time in them. At $88 it’s like 3x more than the other neoprene boot covers and there aren’t too many reviews out there in the interwebby.

Yup, overpriced, for sure, but free -- I know, I know -- with REI dividend.

Let's see:

They fit better, though they are tight out of the package. Pre-stretching over my boots with a bit of warm/hot water and they fit like a glove. See what I did there?!

Less chance of interference with the bindings.

Quite a bit more coverage of the ski boot, as opposed to mostly the front and sides on the boot glove.

Are they worth the upcharge? Probably not, but they are a superior product, and the total dollar difference isn't huge, so I'm a fan.

I doubt they'll make it at current pricing levels. I'll be looking for closeout pricing next year in hopes of getting a pair to hold in reserve.

Sponsor

Staff online