• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk's 2022 Ski Reviews Are Up And How The Testing Shook Out

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2022-SkiTalk-ski-reviews-are-live-Pugliese-slider-7.jpg
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article 2022 SkiTalk Ski Reviews are Up and How the Testing Shook Out. Please add to the discussion here.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thrilled that despite the challenges of COVID you are continuing to offer the same high-quality equipment reviews. I cannot wait to roll up my sleeves and dig into them. Thank you!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If crisis is part danger, part opportunity (as I tend to feel), this necessary change in how you went about testing skis may have allowed for a better testing experience. A product rep shows up with skis that are in better shape because they haven't been skied all day by too many other people, and better tuned. You then get to test skis more likely to be prepped as they should, rather than writing off a ski due a poor tune. And maybe connect better with industry insiders than at a traditional industry show.

I wonder how much of the process of ski reviewing/previewing can incorporate some of this moving forward, rather than depend on a few large industry testing show and events.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If crisis is part danger, part opportunity (as I tend to feel), this necessary change in how you went about testing skis may have allowed for a better testing experience. A product rep shows up with skis that are in better shape because they haven't been skied all day by too many other people, and better tuned. You then get to test skis more likely to be prepped as they should, rather than writing off a ski due a poor tune. And maybe connect better with industry insiders than at a traditional industry show.

I wonder how much of the process of ski reviewing/previewing can incorporate some of this moving forward, rather than depend on a few large industry testing show and events.
David, great question. I think this will be some of the new norm coming from last season. From our perspecitve and talking to the product managers, this new way of testing will be a part of the new norm. IMHO, in many ways it is one of the big positives to come from last years season.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil,
You could call me a creature of habit, but I can't find the new 2022 reviews that you announced are now up on the site. I followed my habit(s) of going to the gear review forum and then expected to see a click for 2022 reviews. I maybe clueless, but where are the reviews? or how do you get to them?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1630529704234.png

Or the Ski Selector on the title bar at the top of the page.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, I think I am good. If I click on a year, and nothing else, I get all the ski reviews for just that year, correct? and I can further refine by clicking other choices if I want. Its a "Versatile" ski selector, not a narrow focused one. Great.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A minor request...how about listing the original year of the skis design...say "2021 ski design carried over for 2022," or "2021 ski design with new 2022 graphics," or whatever is a simple explanation. If I love that 2022 ski but can find it cheaper as an internally identical 2021.... Or I love the 2022 but wouldn't love the different 2020....

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A minor request...how about listing the original year of the skis design...say "2021 ski design carried over for 2022," or "2021 ski design with new 2022 graphics," or whatever is a simple explanation. If I love that 2022 ski but can find it cheaper as an internally identical 2021.... Or I love the 2022 but wouldn't love the different 2020....
Good request. They usually do just that. Look for "NGT" (new graphics technology), or "all new construction" in the ski's review.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was out on demos the same day as the photo posted from the old cantina, I have to agree that testing in a set up like that was a lot of fun and really informative. It doesn't hurt that the K2 crew knows how to have a good time :)

It's not a lot but sometimes a couple laps on a ski really aids in my ability to better talk about a product with customers.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

This area usually tells you.
1640194926918.png

1640194962638.png

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Good request. They usually do just that. Look for "NGT" (new graphics technology), or "all new construction" in the ski's review.

Yea!! The model year and changes to mounting point would be huge. Recently picked up new version of an “old friend” & found only the name was the same! Better to my liking in my case, yet not always for everyone.

Whilst it may ruffle some marketing feathers, year of origin would explain a lot & the manufacturers commitment to updates.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well how about the Volkl Mantra? They kept reinventing it. “Year of Origin” is worthless.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well how about the Volkl Mantra? They kept reinventing it. “Year of Origin” is worthless.
With this Volkl, they are labeled M5, M6, so that helps. In terms of performance, often each of these changes is like a new model, at least enough for each to have fans and detractors. But it would be an improvement if the year the M5 and then the M6 first started were given (either just an origin date for that M5 or M6 version, for example, or something like "'18 to '20", or "'21 on"), both for those who seek one of them, and those who would avoid one of them. (If the M5 had been given such an origin date, that would later be helpful also, even once it is discontinued.)

I know people who really felt the M6 was a game changer for the Mantra, more versatile with more varied turns, much better. Conversely, fans of the M5 (as focused on a more uniform groomer turn) even now that it is no longer being made, might like to know an origin date for that previous model version also, to know which years to look for if they still want a pair.

That date would be helpful in the way @Henry stated, and more. This would especially be true if, say, the M6 goes into a third or fourth year. For that, the "NGT" would not be enough.