• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Deer Valley might not be cheap, but you will love it, and the number of skiers is limited.

I believe a walk up lift ticket for one day is $135

Great place tho

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Based on your preferences,
Ah, didn't think about that..... So if I got a basic car, obviously one would expect SLC to be fairly clear but if going to Snowbird or Alta and I park at the base, how long of a bus ride is it up to the resort? Also, how often do the buses come? I think parking and hitching a ride may be a better option than paying for an SUV, they seem very expensive. It does seem that Park City is easier to get to in the event of snow, at least from what I'm reading online.

How crazy are we talking? Waiting 15-20 min typically for each lift? The sheer size and options is what really interests me about PCC but so far no one has had anything positive to say about PCC.

PCC crowds have continuously increased the last two years and the beginner/intermediate areas in particular get clogged up. My fear is that if Hard Days Night thought last season was bad, this upcoming season may be far, far worse. With Stowe now part of the epic pass, just think of how many East Coasters will be heading to PCC this year to ski. And Hard Days Night is right about the insane walkup prices at PCC if you don't have a season epic pass. If you are set on Salt Lake, then I believe Brighton/Solitude are your best bets.

Yes, PCC has big listed acreage, but Brighton/Solitude just seems so much better for what you are particularly looking for. I believe the scenery/views are so much nicer than PCC as well. Brighton/Solitude has better snow, better views, and will be much less crowded than PCC. The one advantage of PCC is the ski town vibe if you have accommodations in Park City for après ski, but that isn't going to apply if you're staying in Salt Lake anyway and budget is a big factor for you. Canyons side of Park City has some great tree skiing, but that's not something I think you'd really be doing anyway based on how you described what skiing skill level you're looking for.

The suggestions on Canada seems very cool especially given the US dollar exchange rate, although it seems like you have your heart set on the Salt Lake area.

Ski a day in PCC if you've got a major jones for the big trail map and listed acreage, but I'd be quite surprised if you didn't like Brighton/Solitude much more based on what you're looking for.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
That is utter nonsense about the lift lines at Park City. Perhaps if there is a power outage or a lift is broken you nay find a long line, but once you are on the mountains there are few if any lift lines (outside of XMAS-New Year's and MLK). The Canyons side is mostly empty away from Red Pine.

One advantage of PC is that there is something to do there besides ski. The Alf Engen Museum/Olympic Park is always worth a visit after skiing. There is a lot to do in town. Spending a day in PC should be a given.

Eh, live in Park City and it pains me to side a little more with Hard Days Night. Lift lines weren't bad enough to stop me from buying an epic pass this year but I fear it's heading in that direction. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm bracing for possible misery this year due to Stowe inclusion of Epic Pass = even more East Coast skiers. A lot of people I know also don't care for the layout of the Canyons side of PCC with typical complaints of narrower trails and too spread out. Parking lot on Park City side of the mountain seems to fill up unless you get there real early, and crowds generally kept me off wanting to cruise that side of the mountain last year.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, didn't think about that..... So if I got a basic car, obviously one would expect SLC to be fairly clear but if going to Snowbird or Alta and I park at the base, how long of a bus ride is it up to the resort? Also, how often do the buses come? I think parking and hitching a ride may be a better option than paying for an SUV, they seem very expensive. It does seem that Park City is easier to get to in the event of snow, at least from what I'm reading online.

How crazy are we talking? Waiting 15-20 min typically for each lift? The sheer size and options is what really interests me about PCC but so far no one has had anything positive to say about PCC.
From front door to the resort it was around forty minutes give or take. The real nice thing was not having to drive after a full day. From the base lots it is much shorter to the resort. They are commuter lots as well so they can fill up. I know some of the other hotels shuttle skiers to the base lots.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Deer Valley might not be cheap, but you will love it, and the number of skiers is limited.

I believe a walk up lift ticket for one day is $135

Great place tho
Check out liftopia and look for a DV discount. IMHO it is totally worth it for a day of awesome cruisers with no lines. I also second what everybody else has said. Utah snow is fantastic. The bus service up the mountain is fantastic. Look for an SLC hotel close to a bus stop, skip the car, pay extra for the hotel and just enjoy yourself!

allgash

Booting up
Skier
Check out liftopia and look for a DV discount. IMHO it is totally worth it for a day of awesome cruisers with no lines. I also second what everybody else has said. Utah snow is fantastic. The bus service up the mountain is fantastic. Look for an SLC hotel close to a bus stop, skip the car, pay extra for the hotel and just enjoy yourself!

Totally agreed! Even during the Presidents Day week, I haven't seen really bad crowds at Deer Valley. And the powder gets tracked out less quickly than the other resorts.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is utter nonsense about the lift lines at Park City. Perhaps if there is a power outage or a lift is broken you nay find a long line, but once you are on the mountains there are few if any lift lines (outside of XMAS-New Year's and MLK). The Canyons side is mostly empty away from Red Pine.

One advantage of PC is that there is something to do there besides ski. The Alf Engen Museum/Olympic Park is always worth a visit after skiing. There is a lot to do in town. Spending a day in PC should be a given.

I’ve lived in Park City since 1986 and ski between 140 and 160 days a season here. I guess the OP will have to make up his own mind but if you’re seriously suggesting that it has not been very crowded the last few years then I can only cringe in horror at what you would consider crowded.

allgash

Booting up
Skier
I’ve lived in Park City since 1986 and ski between 140 and 160 days a season here. I guess the OP will have to make up his own mind but if you’re seriously suggesting that it has not been very crowded the last few years then I can only cringe in horror at what you would consider crowded.

Agreed (still better than many East Coast resorts however), although I've found that both the former PCMR and Canyons have odd lift layouts, and I've had success avoiding the crowds by carefully choosing which lifts to ski at particular times. That said, the bases can get jammed, and big bottlenecks form that are difficult to avoid.

How come Park City is getting more skiers? Are people living in the area (including SLC) seeing value in the Epic Pass (trips to Whistler, CA, CO) and choosing Park City over Deer Valley or other resorts? Have the season pass prices for Park City gone down since Vail took over (that happened majorly at Stowe, it might have been the case too at Whistler)? Is it out-of-staters with Epic passes? Or has Vail made substantial improvements to the mountain that justify increased skier visits?

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
When are your planning on going?
Don't count on this but I am thinking you are better off going in January for less lift lines. March is spring break which means something.
I doubt you will find anything cheaper than SLC, staying in valley, depending on plane ticket from your airport, esp when you consider possibility of 1/2 day skiing on way in and/or out if right direct flight is available. I'll be booking next SLC very very soon.
There is definite possibility of lines in SLC on the wrong day, or you could hit it good. Good snow will bring people out. I've skied SLC many times and rarely find the lines intolerable, except for the tram.
If you like a lot of long cruisers you would probably find Park City(and Snowbasin) more to your liking than the other places. If you are going for a week you can check them all out and decide for yourself.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.pugski.com/threads/official-2018-utah-gathering-general-info-scheduling.6622/

https://mountaincollective.com/?utm...gsFMlnaMr2ueF1Dq6CwIL-4KjqAjFC-BoClgsQAvD_BwE
Running low on time and wanting to get something in the books for this seasons ski trip! I've searched and searched and searched some more, from Europe to Canada and all over the US. Still can't really decide.

I'm now kinda leaning toward flying into SLC, quick non stop from Charlotte and staying at a random cheaper hotel in Salt Lake and going to a few different resorts. Would be looking at 6 ski days total. Thinking of playing it by ear and just buying lift tickets the day of, probably going to Park City, Alta, Snowbird and maybe? How's parking at the resorts? Everything I've found as far as on mountain lodging has been super expensive. But looks like if I rent a car and stay in SLC I'm within 30 min or so drive of several resorts plus it will be a ton cheaper for dining and hotel. Any suggestions?

I ski greens and blues, can ski blacks but I'd rather cruise than do crazy steep stuff. I don't like lift lines, the only big resorts I've been to are Lake Louise, Sunshine and Telluride, none of which every had a lift line. I've seen conflicting reports on the crowds at PC.

I'm open to other areas, was originally thinking Whistler but it's also super expensive and I'd rather find something cheaper that way I can do this trip and a short one elsewhere.

I think you are on the money with your plan of staying in SLC and hitting Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird. Although Snowbird is not known for intermediate terrain, it does have plenty of terrain for the level you described. It is a crap shoot getting up the canyon without AWD in the event of heavy snow, but you could always schedule your days at Snowbasin on those days and just drive there carefully.

Have you looked into the possibility of going to the Gathering in early March? The group will have skiers of different levels of ability and there will be member guides leading groups that know the mountains and where to go for best snow, short lift lines, etc. I can attest that you will not find a better group of peops to ski and après ski with (not much crazy partying) We will be spending 2 days each Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbasin and taking advantage of the Mountain Collective Pass which is currently $489 and covers all 6 days + bonus day. Links for Gathering thread and MCP below.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/official-2018-utah-gathering-general-info-scheduling.6622/

https://mountaincollective.com/?utm...gsFMlnaMr2ueF1Dq6CwIL-4KjqAjFC-BoClgsQAvD_BwE

Good luck.

Last edited:

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Agreed (still better than many East Coast resorts however), although I've found that both the former PCMR and Canyons have odd lift layouts, and I've had success avoiding the crowds by carefully choosing which lifts to ski at particular times. That said, the bases can get jammed, and big bottlenecks form that are difficult to avoid.

How come Park City is getting more skiers? Are people living in the area (including SLC) seeing value in the Epic Pass (trips to Whistler, CA, CO) and choosing Park City over Deer Valley or other resorts? Have the season pass prices for Park City gone down since Vail took over (that happened majorly at Stowe, it might have been the case too at Whistler)? Is it out-of-staters with Epic passes? Or has Vail made substantial improvements to the mountain that justify increased skier visits?
The EPIC Pass and Vail's advertising increased skier days. Improvements are nice but the only one driving the bulk of the skier days is the connecting lift, allowing the place to advertise the combined acreage. Vail increased prices for food on the mountain (we take our own lunch as a result) and improved it on the PC side (Talisker had great food on the Canyons side before Vail took it over). Vail also increased the prices for the rooms they rent...by a lot. The rents are going higher and equal Deer Valley in some of the lodges. The Grand Summit recently branded as one of Vail's Rock Resorts (from the old Rockefeller real estate). Canyons Village is getting some corporate business in the winter but there is still no large convention center to pull in the larger groups. I don't have the numbers, but a lot more summer beds are rented.

Park City gets its skier days because most tourists want to do more than simply ski while on vacation. Some people want to enjoy fine dining and not pizza and burgers. Some like to shop or visit museums or simply don't want to drive and put on their gear in a parking lot. Whatever.

Last edited:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski greens and blues, can ski blacks but I'd rather cruise than do crazy steep stuff. I don't like lift lines...

Sounds like our skiing preferences are similar, so I'll summarize my thoughts on the Utah resorts...

Brighton--a great variety of fun green and blue groomers under high-speed lifts that rarely build up lines. Snake Creek and Milly lifts serve some really fun, varied terrain and I've never waited more than a minute or so at the bottom of either. Crest Express also serves great terrain, but it's where lines are most likely to form. Tied with Alta for the most reliable snow conditions on groomed runs. A great choice.

Solitude--limited terrain, but not much in the way of lift lines. My favorite terrain there is under the Eagle Express--I've found the black runs there really fun and uncrowded when groomed, but they might be a bit steeper than you'd prefer (I'd compare to Lookout or one of the groomed black runs at Telluride, as opposed to the blue runs under Lifts 4 or 5). In my experience, the more sun-exposed blue runs (Sunshine Bowl and the runs around it) have significantly worse snow and seem to get torn up very quickly. Apex and Sunrise both have some fun blue cruisers, but they're pretty short. My experience is that there are lift lines, but they're not too bad/too long.

Alta--Really fun cruisers under Sugarloaf and Supreme; great cruising terrain followed by heart-racing steeps on Wildcat and Collins. Expect to spend some time waiting in line, but the lines move fairly fast and the lifts are also fast. Tied with Brighton for the most reliable snow conditions on groomed runs.

Snowbird--Snowbird's not the right spot to sit back and relax and enjoy gentle cruising terrain. On the other hand, it's a great spot to push yourself to up your game with steeper, faster, variable conditions, and awesome scenery. They have tons of lift capacity, so unless you're there on a powder day you shouldn't really have trouble with lift lines (the tram and the Mineral Express chair are most likely to have lines).

Park City--I've only skied the Canyons side, but I found that it had plenty of great cruising terrain with minimal waiting. The lower elevation and primarily eastern exposures can be problematic in warm/low-snow conditions.

Deer Valley--All the cruisers you can take with very little waiting in line. In the past, they've discounted tickets sold at SLC-area rental shops down to ~$100 in January. Very fun, but can be pricy for sure.

Sundance--Really fun and underrated--worth a look if you're in Salt Lake. Lift ticket prices should be more affordable, too. The scenery's awesome and Sundance has a "magical" feel that I'd compare to Telluride, which I don't get from any of the other Utah resorts. The bulk of the best cruising terrain is under Ray's Lift, unfortunately, which moves very slowly and is more likely to develop lines on weekends than anywhere else on the mountain.

Snowbasin--lots of awesome advanced-intermediate cruisers, although green and easier-blue terrain is pretty limited. Lines will form on the gondolas/detachable lifts, but they move pretty fast and the quick rides can make up for any delay. Lines are rare to nonexistent on the fixed grip lifts. The lower elevation and eastern exposure here can be problematic in warm/low-snow conditions.

Powder Mountain--I agree with an earlier comment that it's not "known for" its groomers, but that works in your favor. PowMow does a fantastic job of grooming its terrain, and the very low traffic keeps them in great shape. I think it has the best low- to mid-angle uncrowded terrain in the region, and exploring around the mountain trying out pretty much everything on the groomed run report is a good way to gain familiarity. Lift lines should generally be nonexistent on the fixed grip lifts, and very short on the Hidden Lake detachable.

Overall, I think you should give it a try... stay in Salt Lake/Midvale/Sandy and explore around depending on conditions and what interests you.

TS
S

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. I tihnk I'll stick with SLC, the low price and quick non stop flight is very appealing. I'll keep park city as an option but not as the main event. I guess my main thing is figuring out the rental car situation. I've never liked relying on a bus cause I hate having to be somewhere at an exact time to catch it and I hate waiting so I'm for sure leaning toward a rental car but an SUV is super expensive. Its like $30 a day for a car and 3-6x that for an SUV, which doesn't even specify AWD.

So I guess it's taking a chance but how often does the canyon close or how often would only AWD be allowed up? I'm a little confused about the bus situation. Is there regular parking lots anyone can access and then a regular bus schedule that will take you to the resorts? How long of a ride is it from the lot?

I think you are on the money with your plan of staying in SLC and hitting Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbird. Although Snowbird is not known for intermediate terrain, it does have plenty of terrain for the level you described. It is a crap shoot getting up the canyon without AWD in the event of heavy snow, but you could always schedule your days at Snowbasin on those days and just drive there carefully.

Have you looked into the possibility of going to the Gathering in early March? The group will have skiers of different levels of ability and there will be member guides leading groups that know the mountains and where to go for best snow, short lift lines, etc. I can attest that you will not find a better group of peops to ski and après ski with (not much crazy partying) We will be spending 2 days each Snowbasin, Alta, and Snowbasin and taking advantage of the Mountain Collective Pass which is currently $489 and covers all 6 days + bonus day. Links for Gathering thread and MCP below.

Good luck.

Ahh thanks for that link! I was planning a secondary short (2-3 ski day) trip back to either Telluride or Banff and that pass would for sure help out. I'd be planning 6 ski days for the main trip so if I used it at Alta, Snowbasin and Snowbird, then that would cover my lift tickets there and I'd get more use out of it at either Tellruide or Banff. Banff might be the better option if I do 3 ski days since I could do 2 at Sunshine and one at Lake Louise. That's a good deal for $489!
I might look into the gathering. How many people are expected to show? Is everyone staying anywhere in particular?

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a roll call thread set up with ~ 100 people signed up and there are people with similar ski level to you. The Gathering is very informal and as I said the people you will meet are all good people. I have yet to meet anyone that has rubbed me the wrong way and I've probably gone to 5 or 6.

There is also a thread where people are posting their lodging locations. I would think that will get more action as we get closer to go time. Many people stay at one of the inexpensive motels in nearby Sandy or Ft union. Can't beat the value and convenience at SLC.

BlueDevil63

Booting up
Skier
I lived full time in PC for 6 years and still have a house there and ski at least a few days there every year. The main reason we left PC and moved our primary home to Colorado was the crowds. Park City is GROWING big time. In the last couple of years, especially since the Vail purchase, crowds have increased substantially. Parking at the PC base is now a pretty serious problem. Lift lines are still pretty manageable during the week, especially when you get out of the base but overall crowding is a problem. It is a combination of Epic Pass skiers coming from all over the world and huge population growth in both the Wasatch front and back. I cannot believe the amount of housing development going on in PC now. I think you would enjoy Deer Valley but prices are pretty outrageous. Park City, the town, is still a great ski town and a lot of fun though.

Staying in SLC is certainly a reasonable option to ski the front but the canyons can be a real sh*t show if it snows. Control closures, stupid drivers, etc. can make it a multi hour trip. Just be prepared.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Distance from the park and ride lot at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird) is about 9 miles of steepish two lane road. If the roads have snow on them, don't try them with a rental car. Same for BCC.

Distance from the park and ride lot at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton and Solitude) is about 13 miles of steepish two lane road.

Parley's Canyon that goes up to Park City is about 20 miles from SLC to the Park City exit but it is Intestate 80 so it is clear and fast most of the time. Figure another 10 miles into Park City proper from the freeway on a four-lane highway or just a couple miles to the Canyon's Village lot of PCC.

Weekend lift lines are standard at most resorts. Weekdays not so much at most unless the condtions are good.

TS
S

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
Ok, so I'm buying the mountain collective pass since it covers 3 SLC resorts and Banff which I was planning to go back to anyway so it's a great deal as I'll end up with 9-10 ski days on it. I'll have 6 ski days in SLC. Looking at 2 each for Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin. Possibility we might skip one day and try PC or Deer Valley if we don't like one of the resorts. I'm also booking a trip back to Banff (Went in Jan of this year, it was incredible) and will be doing 3-4 ski days there.

I'm wanting to go ASAP! So I'm looking at either the first or second week in Jan and then mid to end of Feb for the other.. All should be 100% open by early Jan right? Anyone have an opinion on which should be done first? for optimum conditions?

Distance from the park and ride lot at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon (Alta and Snowbird) is about 9 miles of steepish two lane road. If the roads have snow on them, don't try them with a rental car. Same for BCC.

Distance from the park and ride lot at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon (Brighton and Solitude) is about 13 miles of steepish two lane road.

Parley's Canyon that goes up to Park City is about 20 miles from SLC to the Park City exit but it is Intestate 80 so it is clear and fast most of the time. Figure another 10 miles into Park City proper from the freeway on a four-lane highway or just a couple miles to the Canyon's Village lot of PCC.

Weekend lift lines are standard at most resorts. Weekdays not so much at most unless the condtions are good.

Thanks for the info. I'm still confused on the parking/bus situation. I've tried google but can't get a clear answer. It looks like SLC offers public transportation to the ski resorts (or at least certain ones?), but my questions are... Can you take your skis on the bus? And where does it pick up? If it's safe to drive to the canyon base parking lot pretty much regardless of conditions, could we not just park there and except a bus every 15-20 minutes for the relatively short ride up? Or would there be a million people also waiting and therefore could be in line for hours?

Or if I'm staying at the crystal, is there a bus stop near by where I could hop on it and go straight to Alta, Snowbird or Snowbasin?

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
So I'm looking at either the first or second week in Jan and then mid to end of Feb for the other.. All should be 100% open by early Jan right? Anyone have an opinion on which should be done first? for optimum conditions?

I have been to those resorts during that week 2 of the last 3 seasons. While they may not be 100% open at that time, I can assure you that 100% of your desired terrain should be open based upon normal weather conditions. As for order...I would base it upon the days of the week to take advantage of potential crowd issues. For example, Snowbird is the right choice on Saturday and Sunday as it has the best lift capacity and only two of the lifts really have any type of waits (the Tram, which can easily be avoided by taking the Peruvian Express, and Mineral Basin Express). I would avoid Alta for sure on the weekend as it is more likely to get a little backed up by crowds. Snowbasin is great during the week, but can definitely get busy on the weekends. Outside of that advice, I would suggest starting with Snowbasin, then Alta, then Snowbird. You are "going up" in elevation and difficulty by doing them in that order.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
EZPZ, ski Deer Valley on the weekend as they limit the number of skiers on the mountain.

Save on the hotel, splurge on the hill.