• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
Running low on time and wanting to get something in the books for this seasons ski trip! I've searched and searched and searched some more, from Europe to Canada and all over the US. Still can't really decide.

I'm now kinda leaning toward flying into SLC, quick non stop from Charlotte and staying at a random cheaper hotel in Salt Lake and going to a few different resorts. Would be looking at 6 ski days total. Thinking of playing it by ear and just buying lift tickets the day of, probably going to Park City, Alta, Snowbird and maybe? How's parking at the resorts? Everything I've found as far as on mountain lodging has been super expensive. But looks like if I rent a car and stay in SLC I'm within 30 min or so drive of several resorts plus it will be a ton cheaper for dining and hotel. Any suggestions?

I ski greens and blues, can ski blacks but I'd rather cruise than do crazy steep stuff. I don't like lift lines, the only big resorts I've been to are Lake Louise, Sunshine and Telluride, none of which every had a lift line. I've seen conflicting reports on the crowds at PC.

I'm open to other areas, was originally thinking Whistler but it's also super expensive and I'd rather find something cheaper that way I can do this trip and a short one elsewhere.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Look into hotels in the Sandy Midvale area. SLC promotes a "Ski City Pass" where your hotel can sell you a bus pass and lift ticket at the desk. They serve Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird. Brighton Solitude and maybe parts of Alta fit your preferences. I stayed at the Crystal Inn in Midvale and skied all of them in a week. The bus picked me up and dropped me off in front of the hotel and the hotel had a shuttle to local eateries. Hotel and airfare were $869 total from Chicago direct, and breakfast was included. There was even a shuttle to and from the airport. You could rent a car to try out Park City Snow Basin and Pow Mow but you don't need to.

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
I'm think of renting a car. Coincidentally, Crystal Inn was the "deal of the day" on Orbitz and looked decent for the price. Looking at $1450 for airfare and 7 nights hotel for 2. Pretty cheap. Only other expense will be the lift tickets.

Which were your favorite resorts and how were the lift lines at PC?

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skipped PC and DV. Alta and Solitude were my favorites and there were very minimal lines at each after leaving the base. Snowbird was crowded and did not have great snow coverage so it was a bit icy and tricky in spots. Brighton is fun and a great warm up for the rest of the area.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
+1^
If you live at low elevation you will probably sleep better in SL. I would stay away from PC/Canyons.
Alta, Solitude & Brighton although not huge will serve you well for 6 days. Daily lift tickets at those 3 will be quite a bit cheaper as well.
If you must experience the luxury of an upscale destination area Deer Valley is not a bad choice.
Snowbasin would be great on a nice day & not a bad drive from SLC but I would avoid it on Saturday or if it was foggy. Pow Mow is a bit more of a haul & can’t really be appreciated in 1 day without someone who really knows their way around. Although the terrain is not steep, they are not known for their grooming. Extremely rare to have a lift line.
Another option would be to stay in Ogden & split time between Snowbasin & Powder Mountain.

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
+1^
If you live at low elevation you will probably sleep better in SL. I would stay away from PC/Canyons.
Alta, Solitude & Brighton although not huge will serve you well for 6 days. Daily lift tickets at those 3 will be quite a bit cheaper as well.
If you must experience the luxury of an upscale destination area Deer Valley is not a bad choice.
Snowbasin would be great on a nice day & not a bad drive from SLC but I would avoid it on Saturday or if it was foggy. Pow Mow is a bit more of a haul & can’t really be appreciated in 1 day without someone who really knows their way around. Although the terrain is not steep, they are not known for their grooming. Extremely rare to have a lift line.
Another option would be to stay in Ogden & split time between Snowbasin & Powder Mountain.

Seems hard to find a fan of PC for some reason.... I just want long trails, low crowds. Don't care about much else.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bus will work but a car will be handy.
I have lately stayed in Studio 6 in the Fort Union area. About $60 a night, includes a kitchenete, no pool or hot tub, reasonably convenient to bus stop, I215, BCC and LCC.
Modestly discounted tickets are available at some ski shops near the mounths of the canyons.
Parking is good in LCC & BCC. At Snowbird, if you get there early and park in the first lot, you can be about 100' from where you can put skis on/off.
My favorite mountain is Snowbird. Despite its reputation, there is a lot of good cruising. The black groomers such as Regulator Johnson, Chips Face, etc., are steepish but not crazy steep.

P.S.--From your skiing preferences description, you would also like Sun Valley. Cruising, especially fast cruising, at Sun Valley is hard to beat. Long, fast lifts with minimal lines. A bit harder to get to and a bit more expensive than SLC.

Last edited:

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When did you go? How was the hotel breakfast?
between Christmas and NYE last year. The Breakfast was better than expected, but i am an easy customer. Eggs, fruit, oatmeal, cereal coffee. Good enough for me. The Hotel had a hot tub and indoor pool. the tub was great after a long day. I echo the sentiments about the altitude. I was able to sleep soundly and did not feel the effects like I have in Colorado on occasion.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I enjoyed it so much, the trip not just the breakfast, I went back in April. No crowds whatsoever.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Re: Snowbird / Alta

Chainlaw is in effect to drive up the Little Cottonwood Canyon. If there's no snow, not really an issue. If there's a dump, you'll need an AWD or 4x4 rental. Otherwise you will have to park at the base of the canyon and hop on the bus or catch the bus in town. If it's a big dump, the canyon can be a mess as everybody and their brother are trying to get up the canyon. I've found that if you rent an Intermediate SUV with the more respectable rental car companies (i.e. Budget, Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, etc....), their smaller SUV's typically come with AWD in the ski cities.

Highly recommend getting an AWD rental car, then you should pretty much be covered for BCC, LCC & Ogden. I don't know if Park City has a canyon that you have to drive up.

If you end up taking the Ski Bus, I think staying in a hotel near Midvale is the way to go.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If low crowds and short lift lines are a priority then you should avoid PC/Canyons - as much as it pains me to have to say so. For the past several years the crowds there have been bezerkulous almost regardless of when in the season we are. Also, the walk up window prices are insane.

Solitude is a very good bet if you’re staying in Midvale. Second Ogden area too although it’s a bit more of a schlep.

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
Re: Snowbird / Alta

Chainlaw is in effect to drive up the Little Cottonwood Canyon. If there's no snow, not really an issue. If there's a dump, you'll need an AWD or 4x4 rental. Otherwise you will have to park at the base of the canyon and hop on the bus or catch the bus in town. If it's a big dump, the canyon can be a mess as everybody and their brother are trying to get up the canyon. I've found that if you rent an Intermediate SUV with the more respectable rental car companies (i.e. Budget, Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, etc....), their smaller SUV's typically come with AWD in the ski cities.

Highly recommend getting an AWD rental car, then you should pretty much be covered for BCC, LCC & Ogden. I don't know if Park City has a canyon that you have to drive up.

If you end up taking the Ski Bus, I think staying in a hotel near Midvale is the way to go.

Ah, didn't think about that..... So if I got a basic car, obviously one would expect SLC to be fairly clear but if going to Snowbird or Alta and I park at the base, how long of a bus ride is it up to the resort? Also, how often do the buses come? I think parking and hitching a ride may be a better option than paying for an SUV, they seem very expensive. It does seem that Park City is easier to get to in the event of snow, at least from what I'm reading online.

If low crowds and short lift lines are a priority then you should avoid PC/Canyons - as much as it pains me to have to say so. For the past several years the crowds there have been bezerkulous almost regardless of when in the season we are. Also, the walk up window prices are insane.

Solitude is a very good bet if you’re staying in Midvale. Second Ogden area too although it’s a bit more of a schlep.

How crazy are we talking? Waiting 15-20 min typically for each lift? The sheer size and options is what really interests me about PCC but so far no one has had anything positive to say about PCC.

TS
S

SkiNC

Skier
Just checked out PC on trip advisor, alot of bad reviews regarding the lift lines. Some people saying 45 min was the norm. No thanks! Really second guessing SLC and maybe leaning more toward Whistler or somewhere in CA. Ugh! I want to book something but I feel like I've been spoiled by Telluride and Banff and their non existent lift lines lol

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
I’ve stayed at the Crystal Inn at Salt Lake and it’s terrific. I’m going back this winter.
Alta will suit your skiing style and Snowbird is way underrated for intermediates. Solitude and Brighton will be good for you too.
Grab a car and if LCC is closed go to Snowbasin.
I can vouch for Sun Valley too. Great hill and Ketchum is a fantastic town.
Sounds like the BC resorts (Sun Peaks, Big White, Silver Star) would be up your alley too. Maybe a bit more difficult to get to though.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I've also stayed at Crystal Inn and really liked it. I'd return.

Like the others have said, skip Deer Valley / Park city / Canyons. Crowds and the lack of discount tickets (available in local ski shops in downtown SLC) are the issues there.

Consider (in no particular order) Snowbasin, Alta, Solitude ( a maybe on Snowbird.) There is plenty of terrain there to keep you busy for a week. Rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle. If is snows (big) and they won't let you drive up the Canyon(s) with a 2 wheel drive your odds of getting on the bus at the base of the Canyon are quite limited.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
That is utter nonsense about the lift lines at Park City. Perhaps if there is a power outage or a lift is broken you nay find a long line, but once you are on the mountains there are few if any lift lines (outside of XMAS-New Year's and MLK). The Canyons side is mostly empty away from Red Pine.

One advantage of PC is that there is something to do there besides ski. The Alf Engen Museum/Olympic Park is always worth a visit after skiing. There is a lot to do in town. Spending a day in PC should be a given.

Sponsor