• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slide With Respect Survey Launch

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As part of a two-course sequence at Fort Lewis College, a study is being conducted to study the behavior at and opinions of ski areas, perceptions of on-slope safety, and the development of messaging so that everyone “Slides With Respect".

Ron LeMaster's death was the call to action.

PLEASE PARTICIPATE

PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR AUDIENCE.

By doing so you are helping us to collect as much data as possible, and help us develop messaging that creates an environment that is safer for everyone.”

For more information about the project, and to participate in the survey, visit https://www.slidewithrespect.com.

Attachments

• Slide with respect FB post - updated.png
    Slide with respect FB post - updated.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Done. Pretty thoughtful survey..
Scott - I meant to mention that this was the first mass group that the survey was posted to. Was eveything on-point from a tech standpoint? Everything loaded fine?

Thanks so much for your participation. The results will be loaded to the web site after the semester ends.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@martyg

On my computer/browser (Chrome browser), the button at the end of each series of questions had no text (like "Submit" or "GO" or whatever). It was just a blue blank button. It worked, but maybe some text should be added to it.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
@martyg

On my computer/browser (Chrome browser), the button at the end of each series of questions had no text (like "Submit" or "GO" or whatever). It was just a blue blank button. It worked, but maybe some text should be added to it.
I used my android phone and had a smallish arrow, but not invisible. Small typo in one of the questions. Overall pretty slick.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks for the comments. The college has this link and will be addressing glitches.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Text boxes could have been more generous in size. There was a typo or two, but nothing major.

Thanks for doing this.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only issue I had was there didn't seem to be a question about how to attribute reckless behavior (what personal or group qualities might be common factors). I added my beliefs (right or wrong) in the comment section but I wondered about this absence. It may be that everyone believes it is "the other guy", but still....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Done. very good.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I found some of the questions unclear. I couldn't quite tell what, exactly, was being asked. Also one asked me details about who reported what in a collision I had. Well, it was in 1965 and I was badly hurt. As a 12 year old in great pain I had no idea if anyone had gotten everyone's name. I was unable to continue unless I answered the questions, but I didn't have the information so I had to guess what may have happened.

I think they may get a lot of poor data because of these problems.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Glad to see anything that could move the needle on safety in this sport.

Would be good to have more documentation on the total number of collisions occurring daily at resorts. There are many that are never reported.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good survey, though I worry the length and specificity of some of the questions may reduce the quality of responses. Text boxes definitely need to be larger (iPhone / Safari).

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nice survey. Think it is a bit weak on describing collisions. I've probably had more collisions than reported but do you count someone skiing over your tails if you yourself don't go down or needing to shoulder a would be collider?

Seemed to be angling for serious injury collisions which are hopefully more limited though the above examples shouldn't be neglected.

Also a bit US biased - I had no idea what "Your Responsibility Code" was but it seems like it's a rebranding of the previous Skiers Responsibility Code with downhill right of way confusingly reappearing. I expect that means I lied in my response about knowing it because I didn't under the new rebrand?????

Here's Coloradoskicountry getting it confused

Here in Colorado Ski Country, we proudly promote the seven points of the skier and snowboarder Responsibility Code. The Code is a list of seven key tenets that outline the main steps to enjoying a safe day on the slopes. In fact, the Code is incorporated into Colorado’s Ski Safety Act. It’s up to you – and your friends and loved ones – to know and follow the code

Ten Points to Your Responsibility Code

1. Always stay in control. You must be able to stop or avoid people or objects.
  2. People ahead or downhill of you have the right-of-way. You must avoid them.
  3. Stop only where you are visible from above and do not restrict traffic.
  4. Look uphill and avoid others before starting downhill or entering a trail.
  5. You must prevent runaway equipment.
  6. Read and obey all signs, warnings, and hazard markings.
  7. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  8. You must know how and be able to load, ride and unload lifts safely. If you need assistance, ask the lift attendant.
  9. Do not use lifts or terrain when impaired by alcohol or drugs.
  10. If you are involved in a collision or incident, share your contact information with each other and a ski area employee.

So maybe that's finding 101 - even heavyweight industry sites aren't unambiguously promoting the right thing and there has been next to ZERO discussion here from pros calling attention to the fact things have changed. Doesn't bode well for edumacation.

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Done too............ Not to beat a dead horse, but it had the usual "what is your skill level" question with nothing between "Advanced" and "Expert".

You could also elaborate on the "have you participated in reckless behavior" with more specificity. I would say that probably all active members of this forum have skied recklessly at one time or another. ogsmile

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Done.
I felt like the survey was almost looking for answers which were generally everyone else is reckless and I am not. Maybe that was just how I answered, but my guess is that a lot of ST members will answer similarly.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid