• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slide With Respect Survey Launch

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Couple thoughts on variables that weren't measured here..

What seems LESS safe overall is the higher probability of getting blasted from behind by out of control "sliders".

Limit lift ticket sales should also include limiting pass access... equal but limited access for both pass holders and ticket buyers.. not just one or the other..

My main source of the code and safety best practices comes from 45 years of skiing... the friends and family.. skiing on a team and working in a ski school. Not from resort signage or other sources.. We need more than ski lessons and ski patrols yelling at people AFTER the dangerous behavior to educate newer sliders.

Maybe a 30 minute presentation and quick skills test on the magic carpet before new visitors are cleared for takeoff?

James

Out There
Instructor
Good survey.
Technically everything worked fine. A random blue box appeared on top of text sometimes, but didn’t affect answering. Ios 14.8
Couple of oddly worded questions.
13942AED-191F-420C-8B77-9C779179A699.jpeg

I assumed a “there” is left off the end of that sentence. -…how often I snowslide there.
Or, is it general in that an unsafe area decreases my skiing in general and at other areas?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Not sure why there was an income level question. I refused to answer that. I can see a relationship between education and the topic, age, gender, etc. I could have seen a question about whether you live in a rural or urban area. But income? Seems like excess snooping.

There was one whole section where it seemed like there were a lot of "double negatives" or even triples involved with picking your agree or disagree choice. God knows how valid the answers will be.

I'm unsure if anyone aside from myself will confess to having been reckless.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Surveys often ask similar questions slightly differently to confirm what is being said and if it's actually thoughtfully filled out.

Demographic questions just give some knowledge of perspective.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Done
l left the part about being in a collision blank intending to go back but recklessly forgot :doh:. I was taken out numerous times when I was an instructor.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Done. Not a bad survey. They were looking for people to be reckless but I feel most people are decent. A few need it pointed out that they might make me extra work LOL (Ski Patrol ) Most people are fairly understanding after that. I find large crowded bunny slopes are the worst. So just stay away from those if you can.

4ster

Instructor
So much emphasis on The Responsibility Code which is great but how about requiring some level of skill acquisition before allowing the unguided missiles on the slopes?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Note your answer on whether the code allocates downhill skiers the right of way will be highly dependent on which version of the code you are recalling and your degree of pedantry. So might be a sketchy datapoint.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

My main source of the code and safety best practices comes from 45 years of skiing... the friends and family.. skiing on a team and working in a ski school. Not from resort signage or other sources.. We need more than ski lessons and ski patrols yelling at people AFTER the dangerous behavior to educate newer sliders.

Maybe a 30 minute presentation and quick skills test on the magic carpet before new visitors are cleared for takeoff?
Latter point - never going to happen

Former point - I'd say catch em early and often. That means ski school rigorously enforcing the code during lessons - "you set off blind in the crocodile buddy and next time you're out of the lesson", and coaches coming down hard on their kids displaying hotshot tendencies on public slopes - "yeah you might be under control but you have to SHOW that by giving everyone 12 ft and using a speed appropriate to traffic". And then of course parents and social groups need to take the same attitude which means being tough enough to say "you know what Uncle Bob I don't like skiing with you because you do this dangerously"

If a resort cared (and I still believe they largely don't because skier safety isn't revenue accreditive for them) then I think roaming code patrols with ability to hand out a free lesson coupon after the mini lecture could work. Not the confrontational "we'll pull your pass" more a "we know you know what you just did was uncool".

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So much emphasis on The Responsibility Code which is great but how about requiring some level of skill acquisition before allowing the unguided missiles on the slopes?
As ridiculous as this sounds, it's not an unreasonable thought. I mean, we go as fast as a vehicle out there. Throw in the chaos of no lanes, no stop signs, and a lot of egos and adrenalin, and it's no wonder people collide and even die.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I witness code #4 violations nearly every time I’m on the mountain, including several times yesterday. When one or more people are stopped midway down a slope, they seem completely unaware of skiers coming down toward them. From the minute I see them to when I pass, they are looking downhill. When they start out from a stop they don’t even give a quick glance uphill, or warning that they are about to start moving, they just push off.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
They were looking for people to be reckless but I feel most people are decent. A few need it pointed out that they might make me extra work LOL (Ski Patrol ) Most people are fairly understanding after that. I find large crowded bunny slopes are the worst. So just stay away from those if you can.

Most people are decent and considerate of others to the extent they will self-sacrifice often when someone has screwed up or mitigate another's poor decision making themselves. Probably the stats of people on this board when it comes to serious injury collisions bears it out. Of course the amount of ski days people here collectively have under their belts unfortunately means some of those collisions will have been injury causing.

I think the point is the aggregate of collisions (or very near misses) is still too high for anyone in the industry to be complacent. You're only as safe as the clown coming down the slope next no matter how skilled you are so if you slow for traffic........

4ster

Instructor
As ridiculous as this sounds, it's not an unreasonable thought. I mean, we go as fast as a vehicle out there. Throw in the chaos of no lanes, no stop signs, and a lot of egos and adrenalin, and it's no wonder people collide and even die.
Not ridiculous at all! Better drivers make safer roads why wouldn’t better skiers make safer slopes.?

I witness code #4 violations nearly every time I’m on the mountain, including several times yesterday. When one or more people are stopped midway down a slope, they seem completely unaware of skiers coming down toward them. From the minute I see them to when I pass, they are looking downhill. When they start out from a stop they don’t even give a quick glance uphill, or warning that they are about to start moving, they just push off.
My #1 peeve for sure! Just as bad when they look right at me & go anyway :doh:

As I’ve posted in other threads, this video should be required viewing before anyone is allowed on the slopes…

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Who hasn't been reckless? Plenty of hold my beer stuff since age 12.. but even that "just one more run" when your legs are toast could be considered reckless.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is an obvious solution which, unfortunately, will never be considered. Resort management has no incentive to restrict access to its slopes in any way. Resorts bear no financial liability for skiers injured by the clueless and certainly wouldn’t relish trying to control the latter. (Can you imagine the hysteria that would ensue when 250lb Bubba from west Texas is told he can’t go ski on Devil’s Balls, at least until he’s learnt to manage the bunny hill!)

4ster

Instructor
Who hasn't been reckless? Plenty of hold my beer stuff since age 12.. but even that "just one more run" when your legs are toast could be considered reckless.
Not saying I’ve ever been reckless or not but when someones recklessness endangers others it’s a different story.

Sponsor

Staff online