• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slimmer Mens bibs..pants ?

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
I’m a huge fan of fly low due to their stretchiness and durability, but both my chemical and magnum pants are ridiculously baggy- almost to the point of comical

anyone have any suggestions on a slightly slimmer bib (or pants) for mostly inbound resort. I’ve heard the Arc’teryx Sabre runs slim but has had problems with a low rise this year.
the Trew Capow looks interesting but i believe it’s more of a touring kit and the colors are hideous.

any suggestions, or thoughts from the usual players such as OR, strafe, stio, picture would be appreciated.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Back in high school I was thin as a rail. I ended up wearing a woman's small or medium instead of a men's small or youth XL. Nobody could tell because my bony butt didn't fill out the femalish shape of the woman's cut. Worked fine, looked fine. And, the folks I skied with would have definitely teased me if they realized I was wearing the woman's version. I just found what fit best and skied in them and kept the details to myself..

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not hard to get slimmer than flylow. For a slimmer fit, stick to brands that are European and/or have a fairly touring-oriented brand image. Avoid anything that's made to appeal to park skiers. (Rab, Black Diamond, Arcteryx, Patagonia, Norrona. OR, Marmot and Mountain Hardwear are pretty middle of the road)

On model shots are also going to be your friend. I pulled this image together for a piece I wrote on global body diversity and fit challenges for women, but the men below will give you a good idea of each brands' fit expression. From left to right, it's Black Diamond, Dakine, O'Neill, Burton, Trew, and Patagonia.

ski butt thighs.PNG

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m a huge fan of fly low due to their stretchiness and durability, but both my chemical and magnum pants are ridiculously baggy- almost to the point of comical

anyone have any suggestions on a slightly slimmer bib (or pants) for mostly inbound resort. I’ve heard the Arc’teryx Sabre runs slim but has had problems with a low rise this year.

Do Arc still make the Theta bibs? These are slimmer/less baggy than the Sabre.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

the Trew Capow looks interesting but i believe it’s more of a touring kit and the colors are hideous.

any suggestions, or thoughts from the usual players such as OR, strafe, stio, picture would be appreciated.
I have the Flylow Baker bibs and also picked up a pair of the North Face Brigadine bibs for this season.

They’re noticeably slimmer than the Flylows and I like them better overall. Super comfortable and well featured. I have about 30 days in this year, and I’ve grabbed my new North Face bibs on about 27 of those over the Bakers and over a few different models of Arcteryx pants.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Flylow Baker bibs and also picked up a pair of the North Face Brigadine bibs for this season.

They’re noticeably slimmer than the Flylows and I like them better overall. Super comfortable and well featured. I have about 30 days in this year, and I’ve grabbed my new North Face bibs on about 27 of those over the Bakers and over a few different models of Arcteryx pants.
Means nothing without your stats, And without the stats of the OP.

I am no longer in the skinny club, unfortunately. For most of my life I was, and have lots of experience with this topic. Most of the time when I got advice like this it turned out that the person was like 5' 8" and 165 and thought of himself as short and thin.

@Kindbuzz I am 5' 7" and for the longest time was between 125 and 135. Really hard to find pants that fit, especially with very short legs. Brands such that SOME garments - located after lots of trial and error and always having eyes open for things to try on - have been trim enough included OR, Mountain Hardwear, Kjus, Peak Performance, Helly Hansen, Patagonia, Karbon, Salomon, and Spyder.

Flylow and Arc'teryx are complete non starters for me. I swim in anything they make.

Norrona items can be trim but the arms and legs are super long on me.

You probably know that you have to try before you buy.

@Analisa 's comment about Euro brands is spot on. Thus the presence of Kjus and Peak Performance in the list (when on deep sale!).

Patagonia is a crap shoot. I have a jacket of theirs that fits me well but it's an XS. The point is, you can't rely on nominal sizing.

Below is a pair of relatively late model Spyder "Propulsion" pants (small) on my now-approaching-150lb frame + padding. Jacket is Salomon.

PXL_20220103_185350419-02.jpeg

TS
K

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Thank you everyone for the replies…truly appreciate it.
For,the record I’m 6 foot, 175lb

as suggested I’ll look into some of the more euro oriented brands ….and the NF suggestions as well.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm 6'/170 and found Karbon pants fit pretty trimly. Their Silver model also comes in a trim version, so probably even a closer fit.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Checking in at 6'1", 160 lbs. i.e. lean bean; Arcteryx has always been good to me.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Below is a pair of relatively late model Spyder "Propulsion" pants (small) on my now-approaching-150lb frame + padding. Jacket is Salomon.

View attachment 155424

I absolutely forgot about the reason I never liked Spyder-too slim, too form-fitting for me. Yes, yes that should totally meet the OPs needs.
And (correct me if I am wrong) some of their bibs/pants are stretchy, which is pretty nice.

Last edited:

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Noronna has a few that are very nice and don’t make you look silly. I’ve also heard the Trew Capow is a good bet.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you everyone for the replies…truly appreciate it.
For,the record I’m 6 foot, 175lb

as suggested I’ll look into some of the more euro oriented brands ….and the NF suggestions as well.

im just about your size, I would look at Stio Objective Pro. (all of their pants are moderate, not too baggy or too euro) Also Ortovox is making some fantastic gear. I just picked up the Ortovox Deep Shell bibs.

https://www.stio.com/products/mens-objective-pro-bib?variant=41348555538606

1642431191639.png

1642431229942.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I saw that Eddie Bauer has a new pair of bibs "BC Freshline" bibs, they look very trim and part of the FirstAscent product line. They seem very well thought out with their Weather Tech water proofing, high tech fabric, and pockets for your technology toys. With all the good stuff does come a price that may make less serious skiers think twice.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 for Trew's Capow bib. I'm 6' 180ish and the mediums are a great fit. Admittedly, I mostly use them uphill. ...and they are the "hideous" tropical teal color.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Arc'Teryx fit me well at 6'-2" 180. I had to go with a large to get the length, but at 6'-0" a medium could work well. They are great, but the price....

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Norrona Lofoten bibs are slim, I've had 2 sets. I'm a 32 waist in their Medium, and might worry if I was a 34 waist. Also nice that you can unzip the bib part and then they become pants, and can also snap in to a Lofoten jacket. They also have lots of pockets. Because of their features and bit of burliness, they are a bit heavy. My pal rocks the Lofoten Onesie ( aka F*rt-bag ) and loves it !

That said, I have an older pair of Arcteryx Theta SV bibs, which I generally prefer as it feels like I am wearing nothing as it is very lightweight. My only complaint is I wish it had a thigh pocket. No pockets except for 2 small ones in the upper bib part -> for my keys, credit card / cash, my lip balm, and a couple Ricolas.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, I have an older pair of Arcteryx Theta SV bibs, which I generally prefer as it feels like I am wearing nothing as it is very lightweight. My only complaint is I wish it had a thigh pocket. No pockets except for 2 small ones in the upper bib part -> for my keys, credit card / cash, my lip balm, and a couple Ricolas.

Sadly they discontinued them.
I own two pairs and love them to bits. And you are right about the pockets or their lack thereof. :ogbiggrin:

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'9", 136 lbs., and slim (sounds better than skinny). About 2.5 years ago, my 12+ year-old Arcteryx bib ski pants (Alpha SV?) wore out beyond repair. I then went through a two-month process of buying, trying on, rejecting, and shipping back several models of ski pants. Most looked like clown pants on me. Finally, I found one that fit me well: Mammut Nordwand Pro. These pants give me room for base layers, and are neither tight nor baggy.

Sponsor

Staff online