• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slimmest alpine ski poles?

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I first got them, I thought the adjustable length on Goode would be a plus. Allen wrench to loosen, then turn handle. Adjust on the lift! Then you find out the thread for the grip is something like 32 threads per inch. So that’s 32 turns of the grip to change it one inch, times 2.
That’s the problem with just having an engineer develop products.

At least you could easily get an imperial Allen key, try getting one of those in Switzerland! I was more than a little peeved that they weren’t fitted with metric Allen screws and weren’t supplied with a key. Even though I had to source the correct sized Allen key, it was much easier to adjust them than taking the grip of the LEKI poles I got to replace them and cutting down the shaft.

I guess it depends on the length, but I don’t notice any flex even when poling along the flats.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My three requirements for poles:

1. Large enough straps to easily get my hand with mittens through the opening. (usually OK, stock)
  2. Large enough baskets so I'm not plunging it down into the powder too deeply. (usually need to replace stock small basket)
  3. Easily removable grip/handle so the pole can be used as a bottle-rocket launch tube.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone else cringe from cold, open-lattice metal decks for this exact reason?

Like the ones at Snowbird, to pick a non-random example.
The worst were the stairs at the top of Grands Montets in Chamonix. I only used them once. They were out of level in two directions, rusty, long, and felt like you could fall off the mountain with each step. Or maybe the whole thing would go. With the blowing wind, snow, and clouds, you might not be noticed plunging to your death. :geek: ogsmile They were straight out of a horror movie.

I heard they changed the stairs. Perversely, I feel the next generation should have to experience the old stairs.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
A fire destroyed the middle station (Lognan) for the Argentière - Grands Montets cable car in 2018 so the ‘top bin’ has been out of action since then. A new tricable gondola lift is scheduled to enter service in 2025, the top station will be located below the existing cable car station and access to the slopes will be via a tunnel, so future generations won’t have to tackle the dreaded steps!

I guess I’ve just been lucky. The newer ones have easily replaceable tips & baskets.

In theory LEKI carbon pole tips are also replaceable but, they don’t sell spares. The replacement tips that you can get for their trekking poles sort of fit but the poles end up being about 1cm longer.

James

Out There
Instructor
At least you could easily get an imperial Allen key, try getting one of those in Switzerland! I was more than a little peeved that they weren’t fitted with metric Allen screws and weren’t supplied with a key. Even though I had to source the correct sized Allen key, it was much easier to adjust them than taking the grip of the LEKI poles I got to replace them and cutting down the shaft.

I guess it depends on the length, but I don’t notice any flex even when poling along the flats.
They were supposed to come with the key!
If they had been made by Land Rover in the 90’s, one grip would be metric, and one Imperial.
new tricable gondola lift is scheduled to enter service in 2025, the top station will be located below the existing cable car station and access to the slopes will be via a tunnel, so future generations won’t have to tackle the dreaded steps!
7 years!
I see they got Renzo Piano to do the stations.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine must have got lost in transit! If you’re crazy enough to buy a Land Rover you deserve all you get.

I took a while to get the insurance companies to pay out. They reckon it will take 3 summers to build it. I think the new lift will only have the same capacity as the old lift, the Grand Montets is in a classified area so I think there is a there is a limit on lift capacity.

Quazman

Booting up
Skier
Love my Goode G Carbon ski poles. Like both the light weight and the flex they provide on hard pole plants. Really saves my wrists vs a firm pole. Also reminds me a little of the feel my old Allsop poles had back in the day skiing bumps at MaryJane.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm still using my old (Allsop? Spalding? Some company that was better known for basketballs back then.) aluminum poles from 1979. Last year I upgraded them by buying matching baskets and affixing them without duct tape. One is slightly bowed. I'm devoted to them because of their grip. Pretty sure they came with the skis.

Quazman

Booting up
Skier
A few years ago I ran across a couple pairs of Allsops that I picked up for my skiing buddy. He loved the nostalgia but also liked the cushion on his wrists and the ”slide in” grips.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Exel has carbon tapered pencil poles. They are quite thin. I have had a hard time to find baskets for them, so I got some Goodes. I like the flex of slim poles, I think it gives some shock absorbtion
i have some old Exel poles (those orange ones that Poutianen and Cuche were skiing) and for those baskets are "standard" ones (10mm diameter). You normally want to change tip and basket, as just basket from someone else might not fit tip of different company, and Swix tips and baskets fit fine on these Exel poles... in case if it would be any help for you searching for replacement baskets).