• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slimmest alpine ski poles?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
He is absolutely correct, swing weight has much to do to with it. In some applications its referred to as unsprung weight.

Carbon bike wheels
Aluminum spoke nipples
Forged wheels
all add lightness at right area which enhances efficiency

One of the reasons Volant skis got a bad rap for being heavy, it wasn't because they were much heavier but because their mass went from tip to tail where most other skis the mass was underfoot and not at the extremities.
A few things on the go here but yes. For rotating things it's polar moment of Inertia or how hard to rotationally accelerate something. Unsprung weight is similar, the suspension of a car cannot react as quickly or control motion as efficiently when all that unsprung weight is trying to bounce around.

Bottom line, light weight is often more lively and easier to control.

James

Out There
Instructor
So now that we've clarified what I'm looking for are poles with the lowest swing weight, which ones are on the list?
If it’s really important, the only thing to do is go swing them in the stores in your size. It is somewhat personal. There are lots of good poles. Will you be needing powder baskets?

You also have to decide if you’re ok with the LEKI trigger system and the requisite bondage gear if you don’t purchase their gloves.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it’s really important, the only thing to do is go swing them in the stores in your size. It is somewhat personal. There are lots of good poles. Will you be needing powder baskets?

You also have to decide if you’re ok with the LEKI trigger system and the requisite bondage gear if you don’t purchase their gloves.

On the second point-there is a way around this. I love my LEKI vario carbon poles but I hated the Trigger system so I converted them to normal poles. Best of both worlds really.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
On the second point-there is a way around this. I love my LEKI vario carbon poles but I hated the Trigger system so I converted them to normal poles. Best of both worlds really.
Want to do another set? Not impressed with my new Stella poles. The Trigger system keeps coming un hooked when I try skating and having my hand on the top of the grip to push.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Want to do another set? Not impressed with my new Stella poles. The Trigger system keeps coming un hooked when I try skating and having my hand on the top of the grip to push.

LEKI offers normal replacement straps for the Trigger. And for me they are perfect because the poles hang from your wrists as normal poles would do (and not staying in the palms all the time) and at the same time you can quickly un-trigger :ogbiggrin: them. Straps remain on the wrists, poles in hand-perfection.

These straps are however not widely available as obviously LEKI prefer to push their Trigger stuff so you will need to fish around a bit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Exel has carbon tapered pencil poles. They are quite thin. I have had a hard time to find baskets for them, so I got some Goodes. I like the flex of slim poles, I think it gives some shock absorbtion

Depends on the resin and layup. Back when everyone was doing pencil poles Goode was significantly flexier than the Scott, Swix, Karbon, competition.

James

Out There
Instructor
LEKI offers normal replacement straps for the Trigger. And for me they are perfect because the poles hang from your wrists as normal poles would do (and not staying in the palms all the time) and at the same time you can quickly un-trigger :ogbiggrin: them. Straps remain on the wrists, poles in hand-perfection.
Lol, how to charge another $40 for the pole, or $150 for gloves that work. Or another $40 to work with your own gloves. All the bases covered!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol, how to charge another $40 for the pole, or $150 for gloves that work. Or another $40 to work with your own gloves. All the bases covered!

Indeed. One of the reasons i moved back to normal, honest, cheap aluminum poles. But the LEKI with normal straps are real nice.

BTW the LEKI Race Velcro strap (the ones I am talking about) are like 12 euros or something but that does not make your point any less valid.
Problem is they are extremely hard to find.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I had a pair of LEKI's that were made from airplane aluminum and even tapered. Not round, tear dropped shaped. Too bad they were too short.

Scott had hydroformed aero cross-section poles for a while as well. They were heavier (softer, thicker alu) than the S4s tho.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

These straps are however not widely available as obviously LEKI prefer to push their Trigger stuff so you will need to fish around a bit.
Bought them from the Rep during Covid. Nothing like exchanging money and poles in a McDonald's parking lot...I didn't buy the gloves and the new ones I used yesterday are crap too. North Face is sponsoring the CSIA so the store has logo'd pro deals. Well I wish they would be go back to Auclair or Swany. I'll keep them for spring.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bought them from the Rep during Covid. Nothing like exchanging money and poles in a McDonald's parking lot...I didn't buy the gloves and the new ones I used yesterday are crap too. North Face is sponsoring the CSIA so the store has logo'd pro deals. Well I wish they would be go back to Auclair or Swany. I'll keep them for spring.

I dislike the very idea of these gloves. IMHO the general idea and design are bad. I have a pair of course but do not use them as they are totally useless when you want to skate or push yourself with the poles for any other reason.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I mean these are only for the advanced skier. Not for plugs like me.

On the flip side, if someone does get them, the bends are a great learning cue for where the hands should be.

True plugs have them nowhere nearly in front enough - not even when tucking - and aero bend poles can show that in 3 seconds or less.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Personal preference. I just found slimmer/lighter poles easier to flick my wrist for a pole plant.

"Flicking your wrist" is not a pole plant. A pole plant for anything but steep terrain is a poxy for torso movement. It involves your entire body. It is not a flick.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Here's some info for you:

The benefit of LEKI's aluminum shafts are that they order aluminum tubes, swag them, and heat treat them in their own facility. Everyone else orders heat treated tubes, then swags them. By swagging after heat treating you trash the heat treating in that portion of the tube and compromise strength.

Virtually every brand's carbon shafts (including LEKI) come out of Komperdell's factory in Asia. I have been in that factory several times. Same production line, same supplier of materials, slightly different layups. Things may have changed since I retired, but that factory is still the dominant composite supplier.

The trigger system rocks. I am at race camp in Copper at the moment, then I will be at Brids of Prey. 90% of the poles are LEKI (due to the before mentioned shaft strength). Athletes have zero issue skating out of the gate and most are on triggers.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Goode carbon, a pair of Exel aluminum, and a pair of LEKI aluminum. I like the swing of the Goodes best, Exels next, and then Lekis. The thinner shaft reduces the felt drag. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a difference but there is. I do like the Trigger though. Easy click in and out especially after some use. I click out to push while skating.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have a pair of Goode carbon, a pair of Exel aluminum, and a pair of LEKI aluminum. I like the swing of the Goodes best, Exels next, and then Lekis. The thinner shaft reduces the felt drag. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a difference but there is. I do like the Trigger though. Easy click in and out especially after some use. I click out to push while skating.

I have LEKI WCs in a handful of iterations. The slimmer diameter poles definitely have less wind resistance when doing GS length turns.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The trigger system rocks. I am at race camp in Copper at the moment, then I will be at Brids of Prey. 90% of the poles are LEKI (due to the before mentioned shaft strength). Athletes have zero issue skating out of the gate and most are on triggers.

Athletes-yes. 3-4 skates out of the gate-for sure. BUT when you use them all day long, gloves get sweaty and stretchy and you need to skate 100 meters or so, this is when you start hating them. And the bloody grip is ALWAYS in your hand whether you want it there or not.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Athletes-yes. 3-4 skates out of the gate-for sure. BUT when you use them all day long, gloves get sweaty and stretchy and you need to skate 100 meters or so, this is when you start hating them. And the bloody grip is ALWAYS in your hand whether you want it there or not.

Notice that he also doesn't mention whether the athletes switched out the straps :)