• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smart/Fitness Watches - Reviews, Opinions, and Recommendations

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
For those interested in Garmin devices, a lot of the major health insurance providers have some discounts with Garmin. In my case, on the "discounts" page of my insurance, there's a link to the Garmin website that gives you 20% on most "wellness" watches. The vivo, forerunners, and even the fenix are there. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't work for Edge devices (bike computers), which is what I'm likely buying later this year.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I need to upgrade my Vivosmart. I need GPS in particular for summer paddling. Fenix is out of my price range...Vivosmart 4 or Vivoactive 3?
I don't think the Vivosmart line has GPS. It's more of a Fitbit-style band with a step counter to calculate distance. That won't work for paddling.

Not sure which devices have paddling as built-in activities, but you should be able to record it as a run then switch in Garmin connect as discussed above.

Consider a refurbished Garmin from an authorized dealer to save a bit or to buy more features for the same money. I've bought refurbished from both gpscity.com and gpsnation.com with good success.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I need to upgrade my Vivosmart. I need GPS in particular for summer paddling. Fenix is out of my price range...Vivosmart 4 or Vivoactive 3?

I'm still rocking a Vivoactive 3 which I got in 2017. I keep looking at the new stuff, but there's not enough of a change in the Vivoactive 4 to make me consider trading up. The Venu has a nice screen with more colour, but I'm still not swayed away.

Prices on the 3 are very good now, last I checked; Amazon.ca : vivoactive 3

Editting to add: Venu prices on Amazon look good now too.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Venu looks great, but what's the difference between the Venu and Vivoactive? Garmin has so many watches it's impossible to keep up.

One thing I'd suggest is to find one in a store (REI?) and try it on before buying. Some of Garmin's watches are rather large, especially for women. Many are also coming in smaller sizes as a result.

Not sure if you are aware, but you can continue to wear your Vivosmart along with any new Garmin you purchase. Your steps, 24 HR, sleep and all will sync up between the devices through Garmin Connect. I've got more Garmins than I'm willing to admit syncing together.

I just scored a Vivomove HR Premium for $40 from eBay to add to my Vivomove Premium I've been wearing for business. My Fenix doesn't fit under my dress shirts. The Vivomove series of watches are great as second dressier watches that also track your stuff. Not great as a primary watch for activity tracking, as the interface is limited.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
One thing I'd suggest is to find one in a store (REI?) and try it on before buying. Some of Garmin's watches are rather large, especially for women. Many are also coming in smaller sizes as a result.

Exactly why I'm an currently sporting a Samsung. It's 1/2 the height off the wrist. But no GPS. My Garmin was the HR only, no GPS and that's what I need this summer.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Forerunner 45s may be the smallest GPS watch they make, and it's relatively affordable:

Sponsor