• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smith I/O Mag - worth it to upgrade?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of the regular I/O's with chromapop lens that I've been very happy with. That said, there are some deals out there for the Mag version that caught my eye. Anyone use the Mag and have an opinion if they're worth upgrading to?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How much are replacement lenses for the Mag version compared to the I/O?
I don’t know anything about either Smith goggle but bought a different frame from my regular Oakley I use and then realized replacement lenses for it are $50 more than my regular Oakley.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
See if you can try the goggle for fit. I had the I/O larger version (forget what they called it back then) because it would fit over glasses. After cataract surgery, not needing glasses to ski with anymore, I bought the newer I/O Asian fit a couple of years ago because, well, I'm Asian. It was only then that I realized that the larger goggle was being pushed down on my nose by the helmet brim. Didn't seem uncomfortable originally, but now I realize that the new goggles are a much better fit.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know how much the Mag replacement lenses are but will check.

The larger I/O was the I/OX. I have a pair but downsized to the I/O for the same reason as you, the brim was pushing the I/OX down.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I have a pair of the regular I/O's with chromapop lens that I've been very happy with. That said, there are some deals out there for the Mag version that caught my eye. Anyone use the Mag and have an opinion if they're worth upgrading to?
I have the Mag and love them. I never owned the I/O before. Way better than my Anon's as far as lens and fit. My wife has the I/o and I can say the lens change is way better on the mag than hers. I put her lens up to my face and it was similar to my chroma pop lens (red mirror / storm rose lens). I would definitely buy the Mag over the I/o just for the lens change. I always feel like I'm going to break the eagles beak on the top sides every time I change her lens. She skied the clearer lens most of the back end of the season due to lack of sun.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
How often do you change lenses? Is your current frame the only one you own? One goggle quiver, mag. Two or more, doesn't matter much.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
How often do you change lenses? Is your current frame the only one you own? One goggle quiver, mag. Two or more, doesn't matter much.
Depends on the weather. only changed twice this season. I have three goggles , but I bought the new ones because I didn't like them as much.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I had a Smith Mag for about 20 minutes. Broke it after that, never even got it on my head let alone in snow.
Be very, very careful replacing lenses. There’s a little tab you push. Push it the wrong way and you break the ridiculously small piece that holds the strap to the goggle frame. It’s like a can and pin arrangement. The can is tiny, and the sidewall blows out. Now you’re screwed as the strap can’t attach to the frame.

It is or was a common problem judging by their reaction when I told them about it, and by the labels they put all over the strap now. Smith was good, they gave a full refund. I really wanted to like it, but I didn’t even bother with a replacement pair due to that design. This was 18/19 October I got it.
Look at directions before doing it.
Note to Smith- use some words!

The design of that can-pin arrangement is way too delicate. I could see it breaking when it’s cold out and you pull on the strap. So I bailed.

Never would figure the most basic task - holding the strap to the frame, Smith would fail at.
Edit- they really deserved a good rant about this, but I’ve moved on. I’ve ranted about their cold helmets in the past.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got two seasons on my I/O Mag and love them. I have three lenses to cover all conditions and while I don't swap them often, the magnetic swap makes life way easier than any other goggle I've owned. I've seen no real durability issues with them. I had the regular I/O before and I feel the upgrade was worth it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In my opinion-no.
Unless the lenses are CP+ of course, which I am still yet to test.
I considered I/O Mag at the beginning of this season but at the end went with M4. Although I/O Mag is easier to swap lenses than the I/O, which is a HUGE pain in the backside, there is still some fiddling with catches involved.

The swap with M4 is instant and I quite like that as I change lenses quite often.

I still have my I/O7 as I am yet to find a low light lens that comes close to the Smith, but generally use the M4.
It is not without its caveats, but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I've never kept track but usually just at the beginning of the ski day. I rarely change them out during the day. I have a single I/O and an I/OX that I don't wear anymore due to it being too large.

The Mag would be a "nice to have" if available at a good price but certainly not a necessity. I think I'm going to just stick with what I have and put the money towards a pair of skis.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
IMO, they're great. I've had them for two seasons, like the ease of changing lenses, plus Chromapop. I got black frames with CP Everyday Green and the included low-light Storm Rose lens for the PNW, ordered a Sun Red Mirror for bluebird days in the Rockies :cool:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I switched from the I/O to the I/O Mag XL.
I certainly enjoy the easier swaps.
I also wanted a bigger field of view, so going from the regular to the XL solved that. I have a fairly small head, but the I/O Mag XL fits well on my nose, the cut out is quite deep.
the I/O Mag XL is really more of a “big medium” in fit.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
The mag lens is very easy to change. If conditions change quickly, having the ability to swap out the lens quickly is pretty nice. But for the most part, you know if you need a sun or storm lens for the day.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I came actoss the photo of the problem-
F77957A4-3467-4236-8C3A-D83C25F56B50.jpeg

4A176AC0-CE31-4888-BFF7-4C11CEE504F2.jpeg

976B2C85-51FE-4D58-B4C0-A93DE0E9EDF0.jpeg

That’s what holds the strap. Those tiny cans with pins. No thanks.
Unless they’ve changed it in the last year.

Story-
Well I had a Smith Mag for about 20 minutes. Broke it after that, never even got it on my head let alone in snow.
Be very, very careful replacing lenses. There’s a little tab you push. Push it the wrong way and you break the ridiculously small piece that holds the strap to the goggle frame. It’s like a can and pin arrangement. The can is tiny, and the sidewall blows out. Now you’re screwed as the strap can’t attach to the frame.

It is or was a common problem judging by their reaction when I told them about it, and by the labels they put all over the strap now. Smith was good, they gave a full refund. I really wanted to like it, but I didn’t even bother with a replacement pair due to that design. This was 18/19 October I got it.
Look at directions before doing it.
Note to Smith- use some words!

The design of that can-pin arrangement is way too delicate. I could see it breaking when it’s cold out and you pull on the strap. So I bailed.

Never would figure the most basic task - holding the strap to the frame, Smith would fail at.
Edit- they really deserved a good rant about this, but I’ve moved on. I’ve ranted about their cold helmets in the past.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
We got I/O Mag for my son for xmas last year and I promptly broke the tab as per your photo by applying (the most minuscule amount) brute force to it. I was very surprised how easily it broke.

All replaced quickly and free-of-charge by Smith and no problems since then with correct technique being applied. They are really nice goggles but certainly re the OP question not worth upgrading from a standard I/O assuming the fit is correct.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My current I/O's are fine and I'd only consider the Mags if they update the mechanism. I don't want to have to worry if I accidentally use the wrong technique and snap the pins.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve been using the regular I/O for a while now, and I wouldn’t upgrade to the mag unless they were the same price (which as you probably know isn’t even close). I’m sure the mag switches lenses easier but the I/O is easy enough that I wouldn’t pay more to make it easier.

End of the day, I can’t answer your question because I don’t own the mag but my guess is no, not worth it.

Sponsor

Staff online