• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smith Photochromic: worth the premium?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking for a new everyday lens for the northeast and trying to decide whether to pay the premium for the Chromapop Photochromic rose flash over the Chromapop everyday rose. Does anyone have experience with photochromic lenses? Do they work well or just marketing hype?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have used photochromic goggle lenses and glasses for many years. I use the glasses all the time. I don't like the photochromic lenses for skiing. There is just too much UV light on the slopes even on an overcast day and I find the goggles are too dark most of the time. When you ski from bright to shadow there is no way the lenses can react quickly enough to make the feature useful. I seem to be most happy, unless extremely bright out, with the Smith Yellow Sensor Lense. But then again it could be my older eyes. I have the Chromapop Storm and Sun Green Mirror and find the Green way too dark, and Storm too dark for flat light days. I have used Briko and Uvex Photochromic lenses. The Briko seemed pretty good. One of my other favorite lenses is UVEX Supravision Double Lense Gold Lite. As aside note that I found interesting, UVEX stand for Ultra Violet EXcluded! And all these years I thought Mr. Uvex started the Company!ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ended up ordering the photochromic Tuesday so I guess I'll see if my experience is similar to yours. Thanks for the info, though. I was wondering how effective the lens will be going from bright to shadow.

brad123664

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can you report back after you use the photochromic lens?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the Smith Chromapop Everyday lens most of the time. I find it to be excellent. Transitions well for most light conditions. Nice and sharp, good definition. I also have the bright sun lens and the storm rose flash, which I just used several days ago in Big White. It was plenty bright enough for me in the dull overcast and cloud conditions

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just used the POC Photochromic for the past 10 days, loved them, but I do think in flat light there are likely better choices. They were great in changing brightness, but not great in the really flat light.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're not for moving from shade to sunny areas, that technology doesn't exist (yet). They're more for changing weather or avoiding having to change lenses on different days.

The price is a bit annoying though, especially after you scratch them.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I used the Smith photochromatic "chromapop" for many years. I don't even know where I put the alternate lenses.
They are getting beat up finally, though, so time to shop.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any recent thoughts on the Smith photochromic lens? I have sun and storm lenses already. I don’t expect miracles with the photochromic, but something that could change slightly with conditions would be nice since I don’t like to carry a spare lens with me when I ski. Big change in conditions, yeah I’ll go inside and grab a new lens, but otherwise I’d love something that can cover a slightly larger spectrum of conditions.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have not tried photo-chromatic lenses but my understanding is that they are at their best when the sun is low in the sky and with trees beside a run and the line you are skiing takes you in and out of the shade from the trees. Not enough sunny days where I ski to justify the $. :ogbiggrin:

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have used a Glade Optics Adapt Photochromatic for the past two seasons. I rather like them 80% of the time in New England (tons of flat light here) and I never have fogging issues. 10% of the time that the light is dreadfully flat I'll go with a trusty old yellow lense. Then the 10% of the time it's sunny and really bright, I wish I had something better, but just deal with it and squint more.

Also bought a Glade Optics Boundary Helmet this past summer. Great fit for me

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Primary problem with the photochromic is that they do not let enough light in on low vis days (which is a big challenge for skiers). If low vis performance is a priority, then you really have to use the high contrast low vis dedicated lenses.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any recent thoughts on the Smith photochromic lens? I have sun and storm lenses already. I don’t expect miracles with the photochromic, but something that could change slightly with conditions would be nice since I don’t like to carry a spare lens with me when I ski. Big change in conditions, yeah I’ll go inside and grab a new lens, but otherwise I’d love something that can cover a slightly larger spectrum of conditions.
When I was using Smith, I initially tried the photochromic but ended up accepting that I needed two lenses: Violet and Storm Yellow.

I've since moved on from Smith, however, and have found improved performance from Revo, Anon, and Shred. The Revo see the most action. The Shred would probably win, as the contrast and clarity is spectacular, but the tint is just too depressing for me.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just finished a week with Smith photochromic red mirror lenses. I was highly impressed. These are in addition to my sun red mirror and storm yellow flash lenses. The photochromic lenses quickly became my everyday lens. They handled bright days and low light just fine (although on a truly bright or dark day, I’d switch out to a specialized lens). What impressed me the most was the ability to handle multiple conditions – particularly later in the day when the sun started to go down and some of the runs became darker. On one run in particular, I went from bright sun to almost complete shade. As I started in the shade, I couldn’t see any contrast in the snow so I stopped on the side of the run and after about 30 seconds, the lenses adjusted and were nearly perfect. The adjustment isn’t instantaneous, but fast enough. They are not cheap, but I certainly recommend them if you’re able to add an additional lens to your collection.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have the Tempest Optics (thread here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/tem...ed-anti-fog-goggle-was-abom.31719/post-956922) photochromic lenses. They turn very dark on bright sunny days and "almost" as clear as my clear lenses for night skiing. The VLT (visible light transmission) ranges from 75% to 12%. The clear lenses are at 85%.

I use them for night skiing and day skiing. They work great. Here's the Tempest Optics chart for light transmission of their various lenses:

lenses.JPG

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished a week with Smith photochromic red mirror lenses. I was highly impressed. These are in addition to my sun red mirror and storm yellow flash lenses. The photochromic lenses quickly became my everyday lens. They handled bright days and low light just fine (although on a truly bright or dark day, I’d switch out to a specialized lens). What impressed me the most was the ability to handle multiple conditions – particularly later in the day when the sun started to go down and some of the runs became darker. On one run in particular, I went from bright sun to almost complete shade. As I started in the shade, I couldn’t see any contrast in the snow so I stopped on the side of the run and after about 30 seconds, the lenses adjusted and were nearly perfect. The adjustment isn’t instantaneous, but fast enough. They are not cheap, but I certainly recommend them if you’re able to add an additional lens to your collection.

You need to add one Everyday lens to the quiver , these are excellent.
Thanks for the review I will probably buy a photochromic red at a certain point too as it seems I am married to the 4D mag :ogbiggrin:

Vestirse

Putting on skis
Skier
Primary problem with the photochromic is that they do not let enough light in on low vis days (which is a big challenge for skiers). If low vis performance is a priority, then you really have to use the high contrast low vis dedicated lenses.
Weird question that may lead to nothing - I wonder if eye color plays part in sensitivity?

My light eyed husband found this to be the case. Here in the PNW, the uses Smith's Amber lens as his dailies, but on the the few bluebird days we see, he'll wish he brought his Chromapop Rose Flash if he didn't.

Meanwhile my son and I, both darker eyed, ski in rose tinted lens all the time - him in Chromapop Rose Flash and I'm in the equivalent Salomon version with no issues.

Sponsor

Staff online