• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snobahn

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I stopped by Snobahn (https://snobahn.com/) when I was in town the other day. They teach skiing (and snowboarding) on one of those rolling carpets. The one in Centennial, CO has PSIA instructors from several of the local resorts. Bonus, there is actually a "tubing hill" and a full bar!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I had one of these close to home.

I remember when Gart Brothers in Denver had one.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I stopped by Snobahn (https://snobahn.com/) when I was in town the other day. They teach skiing (and snowboarding) on one of those rolling carpets. The one in Centennial, CO has PSIA instructors from several of the local resorts. Bonus, there is actually a "tubing hill" and a full bar!

I learned to ski on one of those in the 80s and also became involved with PSIA through them. Check out www.adventureski.com!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Too bad you still aren't in walking distance!

(Wait, my parents' house is ...)

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
For me this is the anti-ski.
Being out in the mountains with it's snow covered vistas and sliding on snow IS the point.
Rolling carpet indoors :eek: just doesn't check any of the boxes for me...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Bill Talbot We spent a little time on a carpet in SF after I got new boots last year while we were playing around with my LLD and canting. It was an eye opener because the carpet magnifies things that you don't think of when you're out enjoying the snow and sunshine.
My boots have never been more dialed.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ It would be awesome if a good boot fitter set up shop at Snowbahn!

So, you streakers out there... does a day on Snowbahn count to keep your monthly streak going? ;)

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ It would be awesome if a good boot fitter set up shop at Snowbahn!

So, you streakers out there... does a day on Snowbahn count to keep your monthly streak going? ;)
Any day on skis.... :cool:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Rolling carpet indoors :eek: just doesn't check any of the boxes for me...

I take it you don't go to a gym either? Or ride a stationary bike? For me, I still go every year since living here in San Diego it's a major trip to the nearest snow (2.5 hours), more like 6-8 hours for getting to good snow. When I hit the real snow, I want to be ready and in shape; skiing on the deck does that for me... It's not the anti-snow, it's preparation just like waxing skis. And the local deck is outside, so we get to enjoy the nice weather too!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I take it you don't go to a gym either? Or ride a stationary bike? For me, I still go every year since living here in San Diego it's a major trip to the nearest snow (2.5 hours), more like 6-8 hours for getting to good snow. When I hit the real snow, I want to be ready and in shape; skiing on the deck does that for me... It's not the anti-snow, it's preparation just like waxing skis. And the local deck is outside, so we get to enjoy the nice weather too!

Gym? NEVER! Fitness is a year round state, nothing special prior to skiing. I'm on the bike outside from April to Thanksgiving most years, and with any luck, skiing by early December.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Might be a good way to get the grandkids a lesson or two before taking them up on the real mountain. Gonna have to check into it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Might be a good way to get the grandkids a lesson or two before taking them up on the real mountain. Gonna have to check into it.
The place we went in San Francisco had an Adventure Camp set up for kids. They got to be James Bond type spies and sold mysteries. Then they learned to ski like James Bond and catch the bad guys. It was a pretty cool camp.

TS
SkiNurse

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking the same thing about my niece & nephew. I took my niece sking (who really has no in skiing) a few years ago at Abasin. Unforutanaely, my niece is not athletic and I realized I had no business teaching a non-ahletic 8 yo how to ski. Fortunately, we had a blast! My nephew, on the other hand, does want to learn (he is 5 & very athletic). Per the lesson learned with my niece, I know that they need a lesson by a pro before I ski with them. Teaching the basics is hard!!!

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I was thinking the same thing about my niece & nephew. I took my niece sking (who really has no in skiing) a few years ago at Abasin. Unforutanaely, my niece is not athletic and I realized I had no business teaching a non-ahletic 8 yo how to ski. Fortunately, we had a blast! My nephew, on the other hand, does want to learn (he is 5 & very athletic). Per the lesson learned with my niece, I know that they need a lesson by a pro before I ski with them. Teaching the basics is hard!!!
I tried to teach my 10 year old granddaughter this spring. She had a blast and always tells everybody how she wants to go skiing with Grandpa again, but it took me all day to get two linked turns from her. So I plan to take her to Snobahn this summer or fall so she can get a lesson from someone who knows how better than I do. This one is kind of timid and doesn't translate my instructions and demonstrations into movement as well as I had hoped, so I think having a competent instructor will be beneficial.

Her sister is four, and I think she'll catch on really fast, and I'm sure that once she gets even an inkling of the hang of things, she'll hop off the lift and take off and I'll never see her again. We're afraid to teach her to ride a bike for the same reason.

I also have grandsons, 11 and 10, that I want to teach also in the next year or so. The 2-year-old will have to wait a few years.

Last edited:

Sponsor