• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SNOW Magazine Circa 1970

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's a few photos from issues of SNOW Magazine from 1969 and 1970. (No known connection to a more recent SNOW magazine that's high-fashion and ski-town mansion-focused).

Apparently I have these magazines among the many boxes of family history I've inherited because an uncle was instrumental in starting or running the magazine, however, he's not listed on the masthead. He passed away in the early 70's so the full story is not known.

It was a Detroit-area based magazine, but seemed to have an extremely wide (or even.... lack of) focus, with articles and ads catering to Detroit-area skiers heading up-state, articles on pro ski racing, instruction, fashion, travel West and to Europe, and several travel article / resort advertisement conflations.
Some big-name writers on-board, Pepi Stiegler, Suzy Chaffee, lots more that are likely famous but for my ski-racing-history ignorance.

It also was the Official magazine of the USSA (US Ski Association). Vol. 2 # 1 includes a petulant editorial screed of infighting among USSA officers, did Bob Beattie resign or was he fired? Whew!

The vellum (tracing-paper) instructional pages are really cool. Other vellum entries unravel the mysteries of mastering "The Snowplow" and "The Wedel". The get-in-shape-for-skiing article, not as cool.

Lots of car ads, because Detroit-- (giant, rear-wheel drive coupes). Lots of snowmobile ads, seems the thought was that since skiers like winter, they'd really rather be on a snowmobile if they only could be persuaded.
A Winter Park ad notes that they have six chairlifts, and two High-Speed T-Bars!

1668493512460.jpeg

1668493599027.jpeg

Exciting new products in 1969 were not the realm of skiwear for 9-year-old kids like me.

1668493639719.jpeg

Ad copy has come a long way, baby! Even complete sentences.
(Our family ski car was a VW bus -- with barely-functional heater)

1668493665310.jpeg

1668493701913.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online