• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires - recommendations?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Dunlap tire seems impressive how does it compare in price to the others in the same size? Several years ago I put Dunlap tire on my daughter's car it was a good purchase at the time, for a good tire at a fair price.
I'm not sure what you're looking at but it doesn't look like it's particularly good at anything but wet braking to me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm not sure what you're looking at but it doesn't look like it's particularly good at anything but wet braking to me.
I guess that Wet Braking is a high priority for me.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
the nokians are russian made so yeah hurry up
It looks like they are transitioning out of there:

"Nokian Tyres manufactures passenger car tires in its factories in Nokia, Finland and in Dayton, US. All heavy tires are manufactured at the Nokia factory except for tires for trucks and buses, which are designed in Finland and produced by off-take contract manufacturers in the EU.

The Nokia factory plays an important role not only in the manufacturing of tires, but also in product development. It is a key location for our centralized product development, prototyping and test runs. In 2022, we bought three hectares of land in Nokia to secure future development opportunities at the Nokia factory.

Our Dayton factory in the US started commercial tire production in 2020, after which we have gradually increased production capacity. The Dayton factory is where we manufacture North American-specific car and light truck all-season and all-weather tires. The Dayton factory has a significant role in our North American growth plan.

Since 2005, we have also operated a passenger car tire factory in Russia. In June 2022, we announced that Nokian Tyres will initiate a controlled exit from Russia and focus on other core markets.

To secure supply of our products, we aim to further increase production capacity at both our factories in Finland and in the US. We have also decided to invest in completely new capacity in Europe to support future growth. In addition, we aim to increase the share of outsourced production."

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in the market for a set of 4 snows to get my car ready for the winter --> normal, limited commuting + multiple ski trips to ME/NH/VT/NY where the weather can range widely.

Any recommendations for brands/models to consider and avoid?

I've run Blizzaks in the past (they were like marshmallows on dry roads, but gripped well in snow), General Altimax (worked well and last way longer than I would have expected), Arctic Alpin (no real memory of them being good or bad). I'm considering runflats for them as well as my car has no spare and being stuck with a flat, albeit unlikely, it not my idea of a fun way to spend a wintery night.
For what car/truck and tire size?

I'm personally a fan of Nokian.

I have also liked Nitto SN2 tires. They have been replaced by SN3, but not available in the USA, it's a canadian market tire.

General Altimax Arctic tires are old Gislaved tires. And since Continental owns both brands, some of the old Continental snow tires wind up as Gislaved tires.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I guess that Wet Braking is a high priority for me.
Wet braking and "nordic winter tires" don't mix too well.

Central european winter tires are more inline with a PA/NJ mild winters. Nokian WR G4 (and Solstice) are based on Nokian central european winter tires.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had Conti Viking Contacts on last and present cars. I have no complaints.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
It looks like they are transitioning out of there:

"Nokian Tyres manufactures passenger car tires in its factories in Nokia, Finland and in Dayton, US. All heavy tires are manufactured at the Nokia factory except for tires for trucks and buses, which are designed in Finland and produced by off-take contract manufacturers in the EU.

The Nokia factory plays an important role not only in the manufacturing of tires, but also in product development. It is a key location for our centralized product development, prototyping and test runs. In 2022, we bought three hectares of land in Nokia to secure future development opportunities at the Nokia factory.

Our Dayton factory in the US started commercial tire production in 2020, after which we have gradually increased production capacity. The Dayton factory is where we manufacture North American-specific car and light truck all-season and all-weather tires. The Dayton factory has a significant role in our North American growth plan.

Since 2005, we have also operated a passenger car tire factory in Russia. In June 2022, we announced that Nokian Tyres will initiate a controlled exit from Russia and focus on other core markets.

To secure supply of our products, we aim to further increase production capacity at both our factories in Finland and in the US. We have also decided to invest in completely new capacity in Europe to support future growth. In addition, we aim to increase the share of outsourced production."
Transitioning, yes, but I was just told by my preferred local indie shop that there are zero current-year LT3s available—anything in the marketplace right now is from last year, and they don't expect more to appear anytime soon. Apparently the molds are still in Russia.

So on that note, anyone got any current suggestions for a true winter tire in LT275/70/18? It's going on an F-150, so LT is not truly necessary, but I've had better luck in going silly places with LT tires versus P-metric, and so far I haven't seen any P-metric snows in 275/70/18. The local shop recommended the General Grabber Arctic LT, which seems reasonable enough, but I'd welcome other suggestions to look at.

James

Out There
Instructor
Transitioning, yes, but I was just told by my preferred local indie shop that there are zero current-year LT3s available—anything in the marketplace right now is from last year, and they don't expect more to appear anytime soon. Apparently the molds are still in Russia.
Call Discount Tire, Simple Tire, etc and get the date codes on the tire.
What’s your policy on age of manufacture when buying new tires?

Apparently for Nokian, “80% of passenger car tires”, were made in Russia. That stat gets repeated over and over. Whether it’s true or not, and how that’s defined, who knows. It’s going to take 3-4 years to build a new plant in Europe and start producing tires.

They will be outsourcing before that.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier

Apparently for Nokian, “80% of passenger car tires”, were made in Russia. That stat gets repeated over and over. Whether it’s true or not, and how that’s defined, who knows. It’s going to take 3-4 years to build a new plant in Europe and start producing tires.

My decision-making is complicated by not putting enough miles on to burn through tires before they get into a "questionable age" situation. If I didn't have toddlers to transport, I'd be seriously tempted to try to get another year out of my LT2s (they're at 40-60% tread, and probably 60-70% studded), but I do have toddlers to transport at times. Given the "we're out" announcement date, I'd assume they haven't manufactured anything in Russia since June at the latest, and I have no idea what their seasonal production cycles look like for snow tires.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

Actually, since Russia invaded Ukraine, Nokian made in effort to reduce its manufacturing in Russia and spread it over to other existing factories it has, including the Dayton, TN plant, in the USA.

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually, since Russia invaded Ukraine, Nokian made in effort to reduce its manufacturing in Russia and spread it over to other existing factories it has, including the Dayton, TN plant, in the USA.
Who knows what that means. Not easy to replace “80%” of their passenger car tire production quickly. Be interesting to know how much of that stayed within Russia. US customers would seem to be the best off if that plant is making what you need. The plant started running four shifts, so 24/7, in July, 2021. Max production was slated for 2023. I guess they could expand it further.

Nokia didn’t reverse course on Russia till mid June. Regardless, the EU prohibited the imports. Sounds like they had till July 10th to bring tires in from Russia.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Options are Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelen. I axed the Pirelli because they are just too costly.

So my choices are:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
and
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV Winter

The price is very close with the X-Ice slightly higher.

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Options are Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelen. I axed the Pirelli because they are just too costly.

So my choices are:

and

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance
The X-ice is actually cheaper on a per mile basis, especially when you consider that the miracle rubber in the Blizzaks only lasts for less than half the miles the tire is rated for. The shorter the tread gets, the less it squirms and the longer it lasts.

Uncle-A

Skier

So my choices are:

and

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance
I would go with the Bridgestone DM - V2. Not sure if you can get either of those at Costco but I would see if they are available. The Costco mounting and balancing package is hard to beat.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We don't have a Costco in our area. But the local dealership is having a buy 3 get one tire for a dollar sale, so going to take advantage of that.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jerez, Consumer Reports ranks the X-ice higher (72) than the Blizzak DM-V2 (69). The X-ice also has a 40K mile treadwear warranty (vs. none) and a reputation for lasting longer. I've been very happy with the X-ice on two different vehicles.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @tball
I ordered the X-Ice today.

Now I have to unload 2 gently used 18" Blizzaks that went on my old, sadly now deceased Jeep.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had Conti Viking Contacts on last and present cars. I have no complaints.

Same. On a minivan and CUV (with shite loads of power) I feel no significant difference from the previous Nokians.

So my choices are:

and

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance

Michelins FTW. Every Bridgestone tire I've owned -- all season or winter -- has disappointed me in some manner, while every Michelin has left me totally satisfied.

Uncle-A

Skier
Same. On a minivan and CUV (with shite loads of power) I feel no significant difference from the previous Nokians.

Michelins FTW. Every Bridgestone tire I've owned -- all season or winter -- has disappointed me in some manner, while every Michelin has left me totally satisfied.
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't have the Michelins I had on my Chrysler or the ones my daughter had on her Acura.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't have the Michelins I had on my Chrysler or the ones my daughter had on her Acura.

OEMs?

Curious because every Bridgestone I've had was an OEM, and every Michelin I've had had was aftermarket.

I know there is a school of thought that many OEM tires are not really top grade.