• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires - recommendations?

James

Out There
Instructor
Well if they’re Blizzaks, the outer rubber is a softer compound which wears much more quickly.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV 235/65R-17 that we just bought last fall for my wife's now-deceased VW Touareg. The tires were put on in December and taken off in April and only ran for one winter season and maybe had 2,000 miles on it. They look new.

We had to total the VW a couple months ago (See my long buying an SUV post) but these tires remained with us.

I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm thinking of posting them for sale on SkiTalk, but it seems shipping would kill the pricing on this? OR should I just use craigslist/ facebook marketplace. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I can or should sell them?

BTW - the tires are absolutely awesome and would recommend Nokians all day long if the OP is still looking for a set.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s definitely a market to sell them. Shipping - TireRack does it all day long, but prob not worth it.

James

Out There
Instructor
If there’s a forum for your vehicle, try there.
Try here too, but figure out what you want to do with the inevitable.- Someone gets your sale post from google, joins SkiTalk to buy them.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm thinking of posting them for sale on SkiTalk, but it seems shipping would kill the pricing on this? OR should I just use craigslist/ facebook marketplace. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I can or should sell them?
For an idea on pricing, there's a guy in Denver who has a line on new-old-stock Nokians he sells on craigslist:

I bought my first set of studded Hakkas from him seven years ago, and they have been great. If anyone local needs winter tires, it's worth a look.

Last edited:
TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
There’s definitely a market to sell them. Shipping - TireRack does it all day long, but prob not worth it.
There is, but used tires sans wheel are nearly unsellable unless there are literally brand new, even then expect to get 30% of what new would cost.
Take pics with a tread depth gauge and hope for the best.

James

Out There
Instructor
People buy used tires all the time. Person to person. I think you could get 2-300$ for lightly used nokian snows? Getting $100/tire would be tough. I think.

Note, around here it costs $5/tire to dispose of them.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Continental VikingContact.
I dis-like the blizzacks as their performance is based on the tire compound on top of an all season compound. It basically turns into all-season compound at about 5 or 6 32".

Other winter tires will continue to give you hardpack/ice grip.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
All ready for snow!!

Attachments

• 20221120_112337.jpg
    20221120_112337.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 20

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well given that "my" RAV4 is not really mine, I have to make do with whatever the Leasing company decides to pass...
Pretty decent anyway, will look at the make and model tomorrow. The only beef I have is that, since this autumn is pretty warm (like..being in late September now, rather than in late November/early December), and given that to put winter tyres on is mandatory by law by Nov 15th, no exceptions...if present weather continues like it is, I will have, instead of winter tyres, four nice F1 slick tyres by the end of the season.
Also, probably because of pretty warm temp, the mpg figures have worsened by a 0.2 litres per km (from 16.9 to 16.7) which, in these times is bad enough to give me thoughts---

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well given that "my" RAV4 is not really mine, I have to make do with whatever the Leasing company decides to pass...
Pretty decent anyway, will look at the make and model tomorrow. The only beef I have is that, since this autumn is pretty warm (like..being in late September now, rather than in late November/early December), and given that to put winter tyres on is mandatory by law by Nov 15th, no exceptions...if present weather continues like it is, I will have, instead of winter tyres, four nice F1 slick tyres by the end of the season.
Also, probably because of pretty warm temp, the mpg figures have worsened by a 0.2 litres per km (from 16.9 to 16.7) which, in these times is bad enough to give me thoughts---
Try "all-season" tires. They have the 3PMSF that meets the law in whatever country in Europe you're in. But they do give up on snow/ice traction that "Nordic" winter tyres gives you

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We put Bridgestone DMV2 on the Ascent. My son, who is a manager with Discount Tire, spent too much time talking to his mom, who is a) not fond of winter driving, b) doesn’t drive aggressively enough to notice that the Ascent is a boat, and c) is the only person who matters in this equation, about the value proposition of saving the Falken Wildpeak AT by not wearing them down in winter since you do really need tread depth to use any tire in 4 seasons.

Since we might be able to get the swaps at no cost, and because of (c) above, this is now a recommended tire. At least from son-of-nay.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Trying Michy X Ices this season.... they track well and get through things, good on snow covered roads, but I'm not super convinces that the braking on ice doesn't leave something to be desired.

Last edited:

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had dedicated snow tires on separate wheels and the newer class of "3 peak" rated year round tires. Now with time, miles and on two vehicles, I'm really sold on the Michelin CrossClimate2 if you are not after specialty dedicated winter performance.

CrossClimate2 are also really strong on dirt/mud roads beyond a lot of tires without getting dedicated AT type. This was apparent immediately with my first set mounted late ski season and on mud/ice/sluch ski area service roads, and for trail building.

With time, age and highway speed the CrossClimate are quieter than Nokian tires friends swear by. We have them in 45 series on a performance car too. It is hard to believe how all around good they are also having the experience with top rated dedicated snow tires.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We put Bridgestone DMV2 on the Ascent. My son, who is a manager with Discount Tire, spent too much time talking to his mom, who is a) not fond of winter driving, b) doesn’t drive aggressively enough to notice that the Ascent is a boat, and c) is the only person who matters in this equation, about the value proposition of saving the Falken Wildpeak AT by not wearing them down in winter since you do really need tread depth to use any tire in 4 seasons.

Since we might be able to get the swaps at no cost, and because of (c) above, this is now a recommended tire. At least from son-of-nay.
The best recommendations you could ask for, "what would a guy in the business recommend for his mother".

Sponsor

Staff online