• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow tires - recommendations?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jerez, Consumer Reports ranks the X-ice higher (72) than the Blizzak DM-V2 (69). The X-ice also has a 40K mile treadwear warranty (vs. none) and a reputation for lasting longer. I've been very happy with the X-ice on two different vehicles.

:geek: and I thought you were a big fan of one of the home mountain sponsors. :beercheer:

IMG_1382.JPG

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:geek: and I thought you were a big fan of one of the home mountain sponsors. :beercheer:

View attachment 179783
Yes, for sure. I'm a huge fan of studded Hakkas and have them on two vehicles.

Studded Hakkas are like fat skis for pow days, and X-ice are all-mountain mid-fats. I'm sure Nokian mid-fats are also great, but as a Michelin fanboy, I've always gone with X-ice, but my studded Hakka fanboydom > Michelin fanboydom. ogsmile

Here's some studded Hakka love from the March 2021 blizzard. :ogbiggrin:

PXL_20210314_204956652.jpg

And, freshies!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
OEMs?

Curious because every Bridgestone I've had was an OEM, and every Michelin I've had had was aftermarket.

I know there is a school of thought that many OEM tires are not really top grade.
The Michelins on my Chrysler were OEM but on my daughter's Acura we purchased at Costco as regular in line tires, not specifically made for Costco tires.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Options are Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelen. I axed the Pirelli because they are just too costly.

So my choices are:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
and
Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV Winter

The price is very close with the X-Ice slightly higher.

Which would you choose?

Thanks in advance
I know you've already purchased the Michelins, and that's a good choice. If I were faced with the choice, I would go with the Michelins if most of the miles will be on dry pavement but you want the extra traction for when you do get into snow. The Bridgestones I would go with if snow was the more prevalent condition. I have the DM-V2 as dedicated snows on my VW Tiguan, because I was ok with the trade-offs vs the X-ices to gain a little snow/ice traction
Enjoy them!

James

Out There
Instructor
I know there is a school of thought that many OEM tires are not really top grade.
Not really thoughts.
In many cases, the tires on the vehicle are for 1) Cost 2) Mileage

It’s old by now, but there’s the Firestone/Ford issue from 2000. A friend and I had 3 flats in a week driving 2k mi around Wyoming with what we later found out were those tires.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the Hackas non studded and they were great. They didn't last as long as the Bluzzak if I recall correctly. But the Hackalepitta were not an option as they are on backorder.

As to the dry vs snow issue, that's a tough call for us. We split our winters between NM and CO mountains and we drive between them a lot.

So when in NM it is some snow and more often refreeze on our very steep north facing road with a sharp turn into our driveway. I think the Xice have an advantage there if I read you all right.

We encounter snow sometimes in NM and more often in CO. But we are usually on plowed or semi plowed roads. So we went with the Xice.

I will report back in March. :)

Thanks for all the help!

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs that came stock on my Macan are absolute garbage in the snow/slush.
Two hairy winters with these things are enough. Off they go until spring.

My previous Macan came with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes and no issues with those whatsoever over three winters.
However, they barely lasted 25K miles. So the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV is looking like a good option--
even though a historic 600-inch winter awaits us, I think the X-Ice would be a bit overkill for my needs...

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but any one run these last winter in the snow and can comment?

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV is looking like a good option--
even though a historic 600-inch winter awaits us, I think the X-Ice would be a bit overkill for my needs...

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but any one run these last winter in the snow and can comment?
If Alpin 5 were available in the size for my car that would be my choice. They seem the best balance of wet, snow, and dry performance.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have Hakka R3 SUV on my ML63s AMG they have been stellar! Blizzaks on my wife's ML 350 4matic ....good too but the problem with blizzaks, only 1/2+ the tread is the good compound.........from Tire Rack *** NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V2 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
even though a historic 600-inch winter awaits us,

Yes, please! Coming back your way in late Feb for the first time in a few years, and would like another trip like this from Feb 2019:

SV Rover.JPG

The mighty minivan shod with Conti Vikings will have to do the trick, as the "fun car" will not carry all of the following: wife, dog, 6 pair of alpine skis, 6 pair of nordic skis, and assorted cooking stuff.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier
Yes, please! Coming back your way in late Feb for the first time in a few years, and would like another trip like this from Feb 2019:

View attachment 179832

The mighty minivan shod with Conti Vikings will have to do the trick, as the "fun car" will not carry all of the following: wife, dog, 6 pair of alpine skis, 6 pair of nordic skis, and assorted cooking stuff.

Oh, that February was insane! I think we got around 90 inches in one month. Here's to another historic February!

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have Hakka R3 SUV on my ML63s AMG they have been stellar! nd Blizzaks on my wifes ML 350 4matic ....good too but the problem with blizzaks, only 1/2+ the tread is the good compound.........from Tire Rack *** NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V2 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.
Some people go through the hassle of selling them off when they are half-worn. Other people just wear them out in the summer. Not me. No way would I suffer through a summer without Michelin Pilots or similar on the car.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some people go through the hassle of selling them off when they are half-worn. Other people just wear them out in the summer. Not me. No way would I suffer through a summer without Michelin Pilots or similar on the car.
All the other tires are Michelins on our 3 cars :golfclap:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have Hakka R3 SUV on my ML63s AMG they have been stellar! Blizzaks on my wife's ML 350 4matic ....good too but the problem with blizzaks, only 1/2+ the tread is the good compound.........from Tire Rack *** NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V2's tread depth features the NanoPro Tech Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V2 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.
Thanks for sharing this 55%/ 45% note I was not aware of this. It is a disappointment when expecting good traction for more than 55% of the tread life. I don't expect a full tread life out of a snow tire but would like more than 55%.

TS
bbbradley

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did you pick a winter tire for your Giulia? I parked near one today. What a good-looking car!
I've not plunked down the money yet, I found a few local sellers for used Alfa OEM wheels that may change my direction. The aftermarket wheels are a bit of a question mark in terms of durability, while the OEM offerings are generally better.

If I buy new tires, and the Alpin 5 continue to be unavailable I am between the Michelin X-Ice and the Vredestein Wintrac Pro. The X-Ice is more skewed towards snow use (for weekends up north skiing), while the Vredestein is more skewed towards dry/cold roads (the normal winter roads here).
It's a beautiful car. And fun to drive. Damn tempting.
I am 100% thrilled with it thus far. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, that February was insane! I think we got around 90 inches in one month. Here's to another historic February!

A magical trip for us. Drove over on dry pavement, then it snowed over 60" while staying cold, then we drove back home on dry pavement.

Best week-long resort powder trip of my life.

At Sun Valley?!?!

Thread Context: The mighty minivan had Hakkas at the time and we had no problems at all with the snow. I'll say it was a great trip to have a crappy little garage to park in!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January