• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird/Alta what skis to bring?

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I am heading to Snowbird/Alta on Friday and like some input on what skis to bring. Especially from people who spend time up in LCC. I have been going there a couple times a year since 2005 so know the terrain well more trying to decide from a weather standpoint. I mostly ski the steeps and chutes however I will be going with my wife and 15 year old son and will be skiing cruisers with them half the day and will ski steeps the other half. I know it's been pretty dry but a storm is suppposed to hit friday night and stick around until Wednesday. The skis I have are:

Kastle BMX 105
Kastle BMX 115
Stockli SR 95
Stockil SR 105

I was thinking of bringing the BMX 115's in case this storm ends up being big. Have went out there many times when they predict 5-8" and we end up with 12-15".

So was wondering suggestions on 2nd ski. I am thinking SR 95 but maybe SR 105. What say you?

Chuck

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Did I miss something? Did Utah finally get some snow? Seems a Carver would be the call... DV reports 23" base.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
SR95 - esp if you are bringing the 115's. Documented elsewhere, but I bought a brand new set of Rustler 11's., had them mounted in front of a dump at Backcountry.com (had only traveled with one pair) and needed some new fat skis anyway. Ended up being 15" or so, literally, made two runs on the Rustlers, we didnt get along, and skied the rest of the day on the SR 95's @ the Bird. They were totally fine. Sold the Rustlers.

I now own a pair of SR115's and its got to be a 100%, no question that its going to dump before those get packed. If only bringing one, id either do the SR95's (surprise, huh?) but could easily be good with the BMX105's. My pre-SR95 was the FX104 (which I really liked - except for the "glass-like" topsheets).

YMMV.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't you have something in the 75-80 range? That will work on the firm snow and be easier to dodge the rocks.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would ski the SR 95, I skied there last year with a 50" snow week and they were great, It get tracked out real fast and you will need to play the opening game to find untracked in the hours and days after a big storm.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Another vote for SR 95. Of your options listed, that makes the most sense to complement the 115s. At the other end of the spectrum, even though you didn't ask, I've stopped bringing anything narrow to LCC. The 95s carve adequately for anything groomed you will encounter, and the times I have taken 88 mm skis or less, they just don't get any significant slope time. One time I was on my AXs when the posse decided to shift gears and check out whether Pearly Gates had anything fresh. It wasn't pretty.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One time I was on my AXs when the posse decided to shift gears and check out whether Pearly Gates
I think that was the time I fell in love with that run. At least I'm pretty sure you were on those skis. Nice memory.

Sintesi

Booting up
Skier
If Open Snow’s forecast is true there is going to be quite a dump from this storm on Saturday. hope you brought you 115’s and get to the mountain early. Let us know how it turns out.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The storm totals don't look like they are going to get high enough to warrant the BMX 115's
If Open Snow’s forecast is true there is going to be quite a dump from this storm on Saturday. hope you brought you 115’s and get to the mountain early. Let us know how it turns out.
better bring the big guns - Cottonwoods gonna Cottonwood
Nothing much to see at the Bird today.

534436F9-D2E7-4B0A-B11C-FDFEF8CAA78C.jpeg

TS
P

procos

Putting on skis
Skier
I made a last minute decision and brought the BMX 105’s also. I wish I would have had the 115’s on Saturday but the 105’s did the job.

Skied Snowbird Friday, Saturday and Monday.
Alta Sunday and will ski their tomorrow.

I skied the SR 95’s on Friday, BMX 105’s Saturday, Sunday and Monday and am demoing the new FX 106 tmmrw.

I took my SR 105’s out this morning and realized why I have it up for sale. Just too much ski for me. Did one run and brought them back and took out my BMX 105’s. I love my SR 95’s but the SR 105’s are too much at 177.

On another note the lines at Snowbird on Saturday we’re something I have never seen. I felt like I was at Vail. Lo

Sponsor