• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird : Food Questions

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got groceries on the shuttle from the airport to the Cliff Lodge (Canyon Transport, if I recall). But I I requested the stop ahead of time, and turned out to be the only passenger. (I got in late, stayed overnight at an airport hotel, and got an early shuttle the next day).

I've also stopped for groceries in a cab between the airport and Jackson Hole. It's a good strategy, most places.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the only place I've willingly taken the redeye home from...more than once.
I've done the redeye from SLC too! I'd much rather do that rather than stress out over getting to the airport in time for an evening flight. It worked out great -- but I'm a good airplane sleeper.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've done the redeye from SLC too! I'd much rather do that rather than stress out over getting to the airport in time for an evening flight. It worked out great -- but I'm a good airplane sleeper.
I'm generally not but after 8 days of chasing my brothers around the bird I could have slept anywhere. :roflmao: :crutches:

TS
S

SIMMS7400

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, guys! I grabbed a reservation at Christy's. Looking for try a pair of Nordica Enforcers and see if I want to retire my Bonafides :)

Hoping to hit a couple powder days and try some powder skiis out too. Looks like a dry spell for Utah right now but I highly doubt it wouldn't snow again by the time I get there on February 5th...stranger things have happened though.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are relying on the store, don't forget no alcohol sales on Sunday!
I had to make pink risotto once when we were out of white wine.

The. Horror.

zeak

Booting up
Skier
Hi there. Resurrecting this thread as I'm going to Snowbird next week for the first time and staying at the Cliff Lodge for 4 nights with my son. I've been researching the dining options, especially for dinner, and am so confused. I'm aware that on resort dining is expensive and often not the best quality. But the reviews are all over the place. Within a 1 month period, i see reviews (yelp, google and trip advisor) that say one place is good food and great service while another review will say the fsame place has awful food and service. Hoping to get some reliable info from folks who've been there recently and/or often. We're easy for breakfast and lunch, but really would like a decent dinner each night after skiing hard all day. No dietary restrictions. Plan on eating on site rather than getting a cab somewhere. Any "cant miss" or "avoid at all costs" between dinners at Aerie, 71, Steak Pit, Wildflower and the Bistro? Thanks.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I’ll answer some of the old questions.
Utah in general is very casual as far as attire. Ski resorts more so. Jeans and a ski sweater is more than fine. Kids often wear shorts, even in winter. Slacks and Allen Edmonds will make you look like a a guy at a nice Boston restaurant in flip flops, tank top and cargo shorts.
The resorts used to give away a free ticket if you showed your same-day boarding pass so that ski the same day thing is still a tradition.
re: the pipe.
Be careful, the pipe and its contents are separate crimes. Most arrests are for both crimes.
If you stop for groceries, you can order online and just do a quick pickup. Or have them delivered.
Bring a swim suit.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi there. Resurrecting this thread as I'm going to Snowbird next week for the first time and staying at the Cliff Lodge for 4 nights with my son. I've been researching the dining options, especially for dinner, and am so confused. I'm aware that on resort dining is expensive and often not the best quality. But the reviews are all over the place. Within a 1 month period, i see reviews (yelp, google and trip advisor) that say one place is good food and great service while another review will say the fsame place has awful food and service. Hoping to get some reliable info from folks who've been there recently and/or often. We're easy for breakfast and lunch, but really would like a decent dinner each night after skiing hard all day. No dietary restrictions. Plan on eating on site rather than getting a cab somewhere. Any "cant miss" or "avoid at all costs" between dinners at Aerie, 71, Steak Pit, Wildflower and the Bistro? Thanks.
Ski Snowbird a lot, but rarely eat there. Dined at the Aerie in Cliff Lodge last Mother's Day. It was a buffet, food pretty good, but quite expensive. The views out the window of the lower slopes are nice. General Grits in basement of main lodge is good for relatively cheap lunch sandwiches. I think the summit restaurant (elev 11k feet) serves food until 3pm?? It's pretty good burgers, pizza, and chili type fare. If you eat late there after lunch crowd dies and get near a window, that might be my favorite dining experience at Snowbird and primarily because of the setting.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So a couple thoughts and suggestions here. First off, I learned the hard way (twice) that Shuttles from the airport to Snowbird/Alta and back are more expensive than renting a car ... oh and Ubers will not usually pick you up in Snowbird/Alta. You may want to consider renting a car vs. taking a shuttle as that will save you money and give you a lot of flexibility to make stops and even drive into SLC for dinner if you have the energy after a day of skiing.

On food, we always stay at GMD which includes breakfast, après ski and dinner. Attire there is whatever you want to wear as long as you wear something lol in other words shoes, pants and shirt please, though some folks wore flipflops and slides. Their food was great, so might be interesting to see if you can pay for a meal there even though you are not staying there, do not know if that is even possible. Food at the Cliff lodge was disappointing and expensive the last time I stayed there, but some of the restaurants by the base of the tram were not bad (but expensive). You are pretty isolated in LCC unless you have a car and are willing to drive so keep that in mind. Given that you have a kitchen, hitting the grocery store on the way up is a good call.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Anybody have info re the restaurants for dinner?
Last time I stayed on mtn at snowbird tl when checking in they had rotating daily discounts for hotel guests for the restaurants so I just did that. Advise to take an extra couple minutes at check-in and talk to the agent you will probably get the inside info.

I have a feeling a lot of times restaurants that have inconsistent yelp ratings have a lot to do with understaffing / overloading, or people ordering food to go that shouldn't have travelled. For people that are plan-aheaders just ask about and avoid the peak times to give the best experience.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Their food was great, so might be interesting to see if you can pay for a meal there even though you are not staying there, do not know if that is even possible.
I believe it used to be, but not now. When the Gathering was stuck in the GMD slopeside cafe for road conditions, someone called around and NONE of the lodges would sell us dinner. And the Cafe wasn't even selling food or drink after normal après hours.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Anybody have info re the restaurants for dinner?
I've stayed at the Cliff a few times with my family... in fact, we'll be there next week.

All the restaurants are decent, if somewhat inconsistent. The Lodge Bistrot is maybe my favorite of the group, and we'll dine there one night this trip, but I've yet to eat at the Steak Pit. I think we're trying it for the first time on Wednesday.

I've had a good meal at SeventyOne, but also a disappointing one. It's basically bar/diner food. The Wildflower pizza is, well... I'm from North Jersey and spend a lot of time in Italy, so when I'm traveling my expectations for pizza are really low anyway. Ha! It's not too bad. We'll hit it at least one time.

The Aerie is more expensive than the others, so it depends on your budget, but I don't feel it's worth it. Personally, our plan usually involves destroying ourselves during the day to the point that come evening, we'll take anything that's hot and provides sustenance for the following day. That is also why we shuttle it up there. We go there to ski, and don't mind being sequestered for a few days. Last year on a trip to Soli/Brighton my son and I had a car, and frankly it was a pain to drive up and down each night for dinner. But there it was a bit more important since they don't have the same number of dining options, plus it was late in the season.

I'll be staying at the GMD for the first time in February, solo, so looking forward to seeing how they do it. This trip we'll split our days, between resorts, but ski Alta more as we prefer it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've stayed at the Cliff a few times with my family... in fact, we'll be there next week.

All the restaurants are decent, if somewhat inconsistent. The Lodge Bistrot is maybe my favorite of the group, and we'll dine there one night this trip, but I've yet to eat at the Steak Pit. I think we're trying it for the first time on Wednesday.

I've had a good meal at SeventyOne, but also a disappointing one. It's basically bar/diner food. The Wildflower pizza is, well... I'm from North Jersey and spend a lot of time in Italy, so when I'm traveling my expectations for pizza are really low anyway. Ha! It's not too bad. We'll hit it at least one time.

The Aerie is more expensive than the others, so it depends on your budget, but I don't feel it's worth it. Personally, our plan usually involves destroying ourselves during the day to the point that come evening, we'll take anything that's hot and provides sustenance for the following day. That is also why we shuttle it up there. We go there to ski, and don't mind being sequestered for a few days. Last year on a trip to Soli/Brighton my son and I had a car, and frankly it was a pain to drive up and down each night for dinner. But there it was a bit more important since they don't have the same number of dining options, plus it was late in the season.

I'll be staying at the GMD for the first time in February, solo, so looking forward to seeing how they do it. This trip we'll split our days, between resorts, but ski Alta more as we prefer it.
Expecting good pizza other than the NJ/Philly/NYC area is a pipe dream.

I miss going to Frank's Pizza during lunch at work, back when I lived in North Jersey

dovski

Skier
I believe it used to be, but not now. When the Gathering was stuck in the GMD slopeside cafe for road conditions, someone called around and NONE of the lodges would sell us dinner. And the Cafe wasn't even selling food or drink after normal après hours.
Yeah I think Covid changed the way the do things over there a little ... I also think like everyone else they have staffing challenges. Sure hope things go back to the way they used to be as I have some great memories staying there that I would love to repeat.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Expecting good pizza other than the NJ/Philly/NYC area is a pipe dream.

I miss going to Frank's Pizza during lunch at work, back when I lived in North Jersey
On Bloomfield Ave? That's close to my neck of the woods.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You stay at Snowbird for the snow and the terrain and not for the access to quality restaurants. See Park City for that kind of amenities.

dovski

Skier
Or if none of those restaurants are good, how about nearby places for dinner that i can uber to?
LOL I learned the hard way, there really is not Uber in LCC ... we got lucky and had to wait 45 minutes for an Uber, hotel was quite shocked that we actually got one as they rarely drive up there. Also the cost of the Uber each way was $$$$. It will actually be much cheaper and more convenient if you rent a car vs. paying for shuttles and if you are luck the occasional Uber.

@SKI-3PO Why can't we have great snow and terrain paired with exquisite restaurants like they do in Europe ... just saying for the $$$ we spend to ski at some of these resorts I kinda feel like we should be able to have our cake and eat it lol

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@SKI-3PO Why can't we have great snow and terrain paired with exquisite restaurants like they do in Europe ... just saying for the $$$ we spend to ski at some of these resorts I kinda feel like we should be able to have our cake and eat it lol
Currently, it would be nice to have great snow anywhere.

I do agree that if I'm going to pay $$$+ for food, it might as well be good. I am much more offended by places where I spend $$$ for bad food than by places I spend $$$$ for good food.