• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarders, eh?

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
You do realize this thread is purely humor?
I think the video segment is pretty humorous in retrospect, which is why I posted it.
You could never get away with such "boardism" today. :ogbiggrin:

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
pretty epic stuff, but I do hate bad snowboards, the ones that never has the tip downwards on fallline but just scratches and scratches snow down....... so sad to see / ski
Or my personal favorites: 1) boarders taking a break, sitting down BELOW a crest, so you don't see them until the last minute, and 2) boarders skiing off piste and taking hucks across crowded catwalks and getbacks. Saw a very seasoned instructor at Vail almost get nailed by one of those. He had some very salty language for them.

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I disagee. Snowboarding started when skiing was boring and on a decline. Snowboarding gave us shapes and parks thus making skiing fun again.
I really do appreciate that snowboarding probably helps keep a lot of resorts open, but I'm glad that my daughter has absolutely ZERO interest in trading her skis for a board!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
A guy I know converted from skiing to snowboarding. I was asking him about how this was going.

Me: Doesn't it hurt to slam down when you catch an edge?
Him: Only for the 1st 2 weeks or so.

Me: How about those flats, it must be hell to not be able to skate or pole?
Him: I've learned to carry more speed into the flats now.

Me: So what was the most annoying or painful thing about converting to snowboarding?
Him: The operation to have half of my brain removed.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
At Killington we love our snowboarders. Look-up "hardcore" in Websters and you will find a picture of Ronbo. He has averaged north of 150 days per year with an annual Vertical total of 3.5 Million feet over the past decade. He has set a standard of how to ride everyday thru your 60's. Watching closely as he attacks his next decade. Get up and go spend a little time at the mountain. Yes the Legend has reached 70. Looking forward to seeing what is possible.

IMG_0543.jpg

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I disagee. Snowboarding started when skiing was boring and on a decline. Snowboarding gave us shapes and parks thus making skiing fun again.
You forgot fashion also.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
But snowboarding used to be so awesome, now for some reason most boarders are horrible, I do of course have some oldschool boarder friends, and they can rip/carve/do stuff which looks awesome, but they have the nose pointed down fallline most of the time unless they are in air doing stuff.
That's because the cool kids care about the terrain park, so all they do is enough fundamentals to get to the terrain park. They cry at the sight of a camber board, but complain about edge hold on ice.

Granted, I never put much effort into riding switch on my "twin" boards...and my latest board is directional camber board.
-------------------------------

And here's a classic snowboarding video

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
".. a lot of them are uncooperative. Some of them have had a little bit to drink... "

:ogbiggrin: :beercheer:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think the video segment is pretty humorous in retrospect, which is why I posted it.
You could never get away with such "boardism" today. :ogbiggrin:

That's because the cool kids care about the terrain park, so all they do is enough fundamentals to get to the terrain park. They cry at the sight of a camber board, but complain about edge hold on ice.

Granted, I never put much effort into riding switch on my "twin" boards...and my latest board is directional camber board.
-------------------------------

I immediately thought of that video when I saw the post from @Blue Streak :beercheer:

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I do not think Boarding made Skiing fun again as its NOT Skiing, its Boarding.
Parabolics made Skiing easier and more fun for the general public
Skiing is Skiing and Boarding is Boarding. Two separate and different sports that share the same play area

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to -- probably inaccurately -- paraphrase the great Glen Plake. When asked about snowboarding in one of the Stump movies, he said something like: Snowboarding? I think it's great.....but my toboggan hold six and that's better.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier

If the petition gatherers want to gain support they might want to rethink their methods.
Filming with a hidden camera without getting consent and posting on YouTube can damage personal reputations in our hyper sensitive social media environment .

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
If the petition gatherers want to gain support they might want to rethink their methods.
Filming with a hidden camera without getting consent and posting on YouTube can damage personal reputations in our hyper sensitive social media environment .
I'm pretty sure that was done mostly for entertainment not expecting much, if any support.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty sure that was done mostly for entertainment not expecting much, if any support.
I'd be pretty pissed if someone hid a camera and posted a video of me on the internet for entertainment.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I wonder if you noticed that the video was from 2012?

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry, I’m no longer a skier but a slider. Skiing at Blue in the Poconos, I taught myself to snowboard and love it. I dislike the bad habits of snowboarders but my biggest pet peeve is the skidding face shot thing. There’s only so much trail and it completely makes a mess of the lines available. Oh, I ski, snowboard, and spent a decent amount of time telemarking in the back country, years ago. Is that triumvirate the true sign of the beast?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
True facts -- the best carvers skiing my hill today were all snowboarders.

Yep, there was a pack of about 10 people at LL on alpine race boards ("hard booters"). I've chatted with a few of them and they are a dedicated bunch. I love the angles they can get and they almost make me want to get an alpine board setup. If I ever was to venture over to the dark side, it would definitely be for the hyper carving on an alpine board.