• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarders, eh?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I disagee. Snowboarding started when skiing was boring and on a decline. Snowboarding gave us shapes and parks thus making skiing fun again.

Yeah.

Snowboarding's 2 "roots" are skateboarding and surfing.

It also solved several problems:

1- Ski boots back then (a lot still are even today) were heavy, clunky, hard to walk in, hard to get in and out of and looked goofy.
2- Yard sales :philgoat: :roflmao: (less gear to fly away, bindings are fixed)
3- Skiing powder :snow:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, there was a pack of about 10 people at LL on alpine race boards ("hard booters"). I've chatted with a few of them and they are a dedicated bunch. I love the angles they can get and they almost make me want to get an alpine board setup. If I ever was to venture over to the dark side, it would definitely be for the hyper carving on an alpine board.

There is a pretty good crew of carving boarders here at Whitefish Mountain. As a guy that enjoys a good carve, I find it beautiful to watch.

Question: When things go badly on the carving boards, does it end REALLY badly? All of them here wear full-face helmets. Makes a guy wonder.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm bi-slider. I have a board as well as a bunch of skis. I haven't been on my board in 4 years but I can't bring myself to get rid of it yet.

Can't we all just get along? ogsmile

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Make snowboard turns is pretty awesome, I look real good on green runs. :roflmao:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I enjoy watching the proficient on the slopes, carving away or hitting the park, I also use the stationary ones in the middle of the trail as gates in my imaginary low speed GS run.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
When will Magnetraction make its way to skis?

...since magnetraction is a Lib-Tech trademark (mervin manufacturing)... I wonder if Lib-Tech tried Magnetraction on prototype skis yet?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry, I’m no longer a skier but a slider. Skiing at Blue in the Poconos, I taught myself to snowboard and love it. I dislike the bad habits of snowboarders but my biggest pet peeve is the skidding face shot thing. There’s only so much trail and it completely makes a mess of the lines available. Oh, I ski, snowboard, and spent a decent amount of time telemarking in the back country, years ago. Is that triumvirate the true sign of the beast?
Not a park person, but I do love the Sidewinder trail at blue

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not a park person, but I do love the Sidewinder trail at blue
Not sure when you last skied blue but Sidewinder is no longer a terrain park. It's a fun trail without features also. Just there yesterday (snowboard day) and they turned Dreamweaver into a Terrain Park. I'm not a terrain park person either but Razor's Edge was great yesterday.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
20210121_050516.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't we all just get along? ogsmile

We mostly do, but it is imperative that we also poke good-natured fun at "the others"!

When will Magnetraction make its way to skis?...since magnetraction is a Lib-Tech trademark (mervin manufacturing)... I wonder if Lib-Tech tried Magnetraction on prototype skis yet?

It's been there for awhile: https://www.lib-tech.com/ufo-105

Seems like a silly technology, but I can attest firsthand that it works for Lucas Wachs, Otherworldly skier and super great guy:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
When will Magnetraction make its way to skis?

...since magnetraction is a Lib-Tech trademark (mervin manufacturing)... I wonder if Lib-Tech tried Magnetraction on prototype skis yet?
I think they did that years ago. I'm lusting over a pair of Kook Sticks right now.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But a raceboard makes a rad sound when carving hard.

My buddy was a semipro boarder and taught me everything i know about skiing maybe thats why I stink.

With wide skis in the east it seems that pivot is the new lazy snow scraper.

Last edited:

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I've been approached at Alta many times to sign that petition. They've been doing it for many years. I always so no and don't engage in conversation. It's not like a hate snowboarders, it's just that I like the fact that only skiers are allowed. I also ski a lot at Snowbird where they are allowed. But truth be told skiers outnumber boarders there by a very wide margin. Maybe it's a carryover, I don't know. I don't think getting over to many of the runs off the high traverse would be easy on a board. Neither would Devil's Castle.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been approached at Alta many times to sign that petition. They've been doing it for many years. I always so no and don't engage in conversation. It's not like a hate snowboarders, it's just that I like the fact that only skiers are allowed. I also ski a lot at Snowbird where they are allowed. But truth be told skiers outnumber boarders there by a very wide margin. Maybe it's a carryover, I don't know. I don't think getting over to many of the runs off the high traverse would be easy on a board. Neither would Devil's Castle.

Alta would probably be a miserable experience on a board. I've met quite a few people while in the Wasatch that both ski and board and I'd bet very few of them have a burning desire to take their board to Alta.

Sponsor

Staff online