• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowboarding's design flaws

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the schoolyard level, basically no one decides they're only going to play softball, or only basketball, or whatever. But with skiing and snowboarding, almost every single person who has gotten into downhill snowsports in the past 30 years has chosen one or the other. Sure, there are people who do both, but they're very much few and far between. Nearly every beginner makes such comparisons whether implicit or something they very consciously think about. It's an extremely natural comparison to make. So what's wrong with people wanting to discuss it?
When , how, where did I ever suggest or dictate there is something wrong with discussing it?
We can discuss, debate, converse about it all day every day.
All I say is that "imo" I dont feel the two are comparable especially technique wise . But anyone can certainly discuss it till the end of time.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps a more apt comparison are between monoskis and "regular" skiing. Discuss.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have always LOVED skateboarding and surfing. I started skateboarding not at all long after resort skiing. I had a fair amount of hockey and back hills skiing happening before lift served skiing. Snowboards weren't a thing but Ski Bobs (early version of ski bikes) were seen out there.

Never liked Snowboarding.. The idea of having my legs locked in place on the plank never felt natural to me. That said, if snowboarding was an option, and popular back in 1975 I night have gone that direction. I've tried it a couple times since then. I CAN do it, but don't enjoy all the binding meddling, stepping out, or having my feet imobilizd for the ride.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have always LOVED skateboarding and surfing. I started skateboarding not at all long after resort skiing. I had a fair amount of hockey and back hills skiing happening before lift served skiing. Snowboards weren't a thing but Ski Bobs (early version of ski bikes) were seen out there.

Never liked Snowboarding.. The idea of having my legs locked in place on the plank never felt natural to me. That said, if snowboarding was an option, and popular back in 1975 I night have gone that direction. I've tried it a couple times since then. I CAN do it, but don't enjoy all the binding meddling, stepping out, or having my feet imobilizd for the ride.
Did you ever try a snowskate?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Did you ever try a snowskate?
I have a Burton Junkyard snow skate. It's kinda meh. Busted by butt trying to ride it in natural thin cover around the neighborhood. No edge bite... kinda like skateboarding on an ice rink.. I'd like to try it on hardpack sometime

1614555641933.png

Reactions: Ogg

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
don't enjoy all the binding meddling, stepping out, or having my feet imobilizd for the ride.

This right here is enough for me. My snowboarding friends can't go a single run without having to sit down and fix their bindings or adjust their boots. Once I ratchet on my ski boots I am good to go for hours.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Awful utility on flats and the heel side blindspot are what killed snowboarding for me. I found myself going really fast in areas maybe I shouldn't just to avoid clipping out. There is a serious penalty for coming to a stop on a board in a flat area. Not so much on skis.

That said, spins and jumps were more fun for me on a board vs skis. Board is also more enjoyable in soft snow since you can't really get twisted up like you can on skis. And falling in soft snow on a board is usually more fun that doing the same on skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Design flaw #2: Board width

It's taken me a long time to wrap my head around mid fat skis - the tradeoffs for edge hold and turn quickness are smaller than I would have guessed. But there is no getting around the fact that a 65mm carving ski is quicker to turn and has better edge hold than a 95 mm ski. And while 115 mm powder skis are quite remarkable on groomed surfaces, they are slower to turn and have weaker edges still. But snowboards are 250mm underfoot. The edge hold and turn speed is weaker still.
What about toes sticking over?
Some years ago at Big Sky we had a snowboarder with us most days who was shooting video. I remember him wither complaining or bailing on some steep traverses that he couldn’t do because his feet stuck over the board and would hit the snow pushing him off traverse. In some spots that could be dangerous. He mentioned one could get lifters, but I don’t see many.

These two guys could have been twins, except -- wait for it -- one was wearing a hockey jersey, so I new to keep an extra sharp eye!
Works, right?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Works, right?

When I see a hockey or football jersey on the slopes, I always hear Robot's voice: "Danger Will Robinson, DANGER!"

TS
W

WynnDuffy

Putting on skis
Skier
When I see a hockey or football jersey on the slopes, I always hear Robot's voice: "Danger Will Robinson, DANGER!"

I want to ski in jeans, and and NFL jersey, but NFL jerseys are so expensive. Also I want a portable bluetooth speaker in a backpack playing showtunes like "We've got magic to do" and "Do you hear the people sing."

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I want to ski in jeans, and and NFL jersey, but NFL jerseys are so expensive. Also I want a portable bluetooth speaker in a backpack playing showtunes like "We've got magic to do" and "Do you hear the people sing."

Also worthy of inclusion: Anything by Air Supply, The Starland Vocal Band, Steeler's Wheel....you get the idea! :ogbiggrin:

D. Trenker

Putting on skis
Skier
My daughter and I came to the conclusion last night while riding the chairlift that snowboarders look cooler when they go off a jump.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Ski or snowboard... Who cares, just go and have fun the way that works best for you.

Budge

Booting up
Skier
Ski or snowboard... Who cares, just go and have fun the way that works best for you.
I was all set to write this whole thread off as grumpy old skiers whining about snowboarders until this message. I have skied for 50 years and snowboarded for 30 and enjoy them both, about 50/50. Whatever floats your boat.