• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowmaking Pipe Bursts at Beech

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How could both the water and air pipes break? The ones I've seen have compressed air and water mixing at the spray nozzle. I haven't seen any where they mix down at ground level, but there might be some. So, how can anyone hit a steel pipe hard enough to break it off like this? Or was the pipe old and mostly rusted away? Or plastic? The snow cannon piping should have been padded. The wayward skier probably would have crashed into the padding, got a good bang, maybe the snow cannon knocked sideways. But broken? Or a coupling knocked apart? Something was inherently wrong with the snow making apparatus. This mishap should have never happened.
I read somewhere that another skier/rider hit it and ran over it/broke it. Agree that shouldn't ever be the result or that equipment shouldn't be exposed and running on an open trail.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was surpised that Beech said the person who hit the pipes wasn't hurt. The location and vulnerability to damage is probably going to be a key factor in liability.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I was surpised that Beech said the person who hit the pipes wasn't hurt. The location and vulnerability to damage is probably going to be a key factor in liability.
Radical Gaper Terrorist! Sputnik Suicide Bomber no doubt..

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't know about the tune, but maybe this is what you should wear?
1641769878737.png

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
joking aside, this is horrifying. I'm always shocked when I see unprotected snowmaking equipment, I know the ticket is a waiver, buuuuut, an unprotected metal standpipe sticking up seems negligent to me, and for much, much less than the cost of a single lawsuit they could put some protection around them.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I know nothing about snowmaking but it seems a little odd that the system would be pressurized fully when not in use.
Pipe under high pressure while a chairlift is operating above with customers near pipe. Yeah that's good safety protocol.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you read the comments in the video, a person did ski down and get the lift operator to move the chair 10'. The girl on the chair was thankful. She also commented in the video too.

I still struggle with people trying to do nothing but watching. I see one person kinda tried to see if a pole wrap could come off and maybe try to cover the water.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I noticed that as well, but I'm sure he had no way to cut whatever was holding it to the pole. I don't know how much anyone could really do, except for the ski patrol to radio and tell someone in the snowmaking ops to shut the pipeline off

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I noticed that as well, but I'm sure he had no way to cut whatever was holding it to the pole. I don't know how much anyone could really do, except for the ski patrol to radio and tell someone in the snowmaking ops to shut the pipeline off
If the chairs were move the way they were with a person in the chair. I doubt anyone would have been able to block the water. It might have just flown up and knocked them off as well.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt anyone would have been able to block the water.
I'm certain it couldn't really be blocked... but even deflecting it a couple of feet (at chair level) would have been helpful, and maybe possible.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If you read the comments in the video, a person did ski down and get the lift operator to move the chair 10'. The girl on the chair was thankful. She also commented in the video too.

I still struggle with people trying to do nothing but watching. I see one person kinda tried to see if a pole wrap could come off and maybe try to cover the water.
I assumed it was to put down to soften the landing as people fell/jumped.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I too was shocked by the lack of urgency.
The ski patrolman standing there while the guy dangled was disconcerting. I realize I wasn't there, but cripes, you're number one concern at that time should have been with the guy hanging from the chair
I recall a video last year (?) of a 12 year old who organized a rescue using safety fencing to make a makeshift trampoline and saved a young kid hanging from a lift.
This was a patroller with a radio.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm certain it couldn't really be blocked... but even deflecting it a couple of feet (at chair level) would have been helpful, and maybe possible.
Exactly just breaking up the stream a small amount would have reduced the forces greatly.

Sponsor