• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, Am I the *******?

Am I the ******* in this situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
On the opposite side of it, I was at Purgatory mountain Colorado the last open day and the Governor lifted mandates on masks outside, so did the mountain. I got on a lift and a younger couple got on same chair. One mentioned to put my mask on, I was like no thanks, go take it up with your governor and the mountain management. When there is no mandate, I sure hope people don't expect people to wear masks if they choose not too. Someone can choose to wear a mask and others can choose not to. I can see where this could get out of control in the future. "Hey, it's a bad flu season, put a mask on" No thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the opposite side of it, I was at Purgatory mountain Colorado the last open day and the Governor lifted mandates on masks outside, so did the mountain. I got on a lift and a younger couple got on same chair. One mentioned to put my mask on, I was like no thanks, go take it up with your governor and the mountain management. When there is no mandate, I sure hope people don't expect people to wear masks if they choose not too. Someone can choose to wear a mask and others can choose not to. I can see where this could get out of control in the future. "Hey, it's a bad flu season, put a mask on" No thanks.
They lifted the mask mandate for lift lines and chair lifts at A-Basin two days before we left Colorado and came back to Tahoe. (April 30th??)
Masks were still enforced in common outdoor spaces with tables and such, except of course when you're eating and drinking, and masks still required inside buildings.

That being said, a group of mogul kids (maybe 10-12 years old) behind us, said (politely), "could you please put your mask up?" I kindly told him that the mandate for lift lines was lifted the day before. His eyes got big and he asked, "Really?!!"
Later when we saw the group of little mogul skiers they were all wearing masks, so I'm pretty sure the coaches were still reinforcing it. Probably some protocol for their mogul camp.

On the flip side, my face and lips haven't been exposed to the elements all winter and they took a beating for the two days we were skiing without masks. Poor lips cracking.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
On the flip side, my face and lips haven't been exposed to the elements all winter and they took a beating for the two days we were skiing without masks. Poor lips cracking.
I’ve been leaving my mask up on the chair more now than winter even when by myself. It’s great sun protection ogwink :mask:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it would be fair for someone to be concerned if you were being chatty (especially since they’re not going to know whether you’ve been vaccinated). One of the ways masks help is that they stop spittle, and that only works if the other party is wearing the mask. I think courtesy does at least demand that you’re polite if someone asks you (nicely) to put on a mask, though it’s also fair that you simply wouldn’t have had a mask under the circumstances, or that you wouldn’t have wanted to take off your helmet to put one on.

Courtesy doesn’t come with a government mandate. I’m not referring to you when I say this, since I wasn’t there nor do I want to judge, but too many people seem to have forgotten that over the past year.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I rode my bicycle to a shop today where they only serve you outside. We don't go ANYWHERE anymore so the idea of bringing a mask completely slipped my mind. When I got there to pick up my part..just pick up..the first thing I said was that I was sorry for not having a mask. It costs nothing to be nice and you don't know where people's heads are at. Fortunately, they knew, as I do, that outdoor transmission risk is exceedingly small and my interaction was 1 minute long.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve been leaving my mask up on the chair more now than winter even when by myself. It’s great sun protection ogwink :mask:

Exactly!! Think of the sunscreen money savings - and so much more stylish/pleasant than the white grease paint look.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I rode my bicycle to a shop today where they only serve you outside. We don't go ANYWHERE anymore so the idea of bringing a mask completely slipped my mind. When I got there to pick up my part..just pick up..the first thing I said was that I was sorry for not having a mask. It costs nothing to be nice and you don't know where people's heads are at. Fortunately, they knew, as I do, that outdoor transmission risk is exceedingly small and my interaction was 1 minute long.
I bought a pack full of KN95's and have sprinkled the little packs around in pockets, glove compartment, handbags, etc.for just such occasions because I got caught out a comple of times the same way. Went out either in a hurry (dog emergency visit) or to do something different than what actually happened. In 3 years (I hope), I'll come across all these things and say, "What the heck is this..."

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Our truck driver got to a jobsite on Thursday, and no one was wearing a mask. I sent out a letter in April of last year that we would not be delivering to site where masks were not being worn. Eventually someone came out with a mask on. I suggested when he got back that we put a few in the truck for clients. We had ordered a while ago masks that we though were black only. They ended up being a box of different colours. So, the pink ones are now in the truck. Gonna look real good on some guy that it's wearing one!!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Went to the bakery and forgot my mask. They gave me one! Nice.

On the lift at Jiminy they were loading 3 on the 6pack. While skiing I kept my mask down. Jiminy is closed now.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the opposite side of it, I was at Purgatory mountain Colorado the last open day and the Governor lifted mandates on masks outside, so did the mountain.
Looks like mask mandates are county by county in Colorado now.

Thursday at A-basin = no masks required.
Friday at Mary Jane = masks required to ride the lift.

They are still required for employees and going inside at both areas.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting. Maybe a VR policy since Breck and A-basin are both in Summit County?

I'm now wondering if MJ masks are Alterra policy or Grand County edict.
Yes, I believe Breck's policy is their own. They are playing the same 'masks required' message at the base as they have all season long.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, I believe Breck's policy is their own. They are playing the same 'masks required' message at the base as they have all season long.
The rules for crowded spaces haven't changed. Lift line masking is still required because even outdoors, it is considered "less safe" to be in tight crowds. Please don't argue about this, I'm not advocating anything, just saying what's what.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The rules for crowded spaces haven't changed. Lift line masking is still required because even outdoors, it is considered "less safe" to be in tight crowds. Please don't argue about this, I'm not advocating anything, just saying what's what.
No argument. The Green level we are in in Summit County only requires masks outside when you cannot maintain 6 feet distancing for periods longer than 15 minutes. I believe that is how the Basin is allowing no masks in line, since you aren't closer than 6 feet for more than 15 minutes.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
All I know is Purgatory removed the masks in lift line mandate. Not even the employees were wearing them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It costs nothing to be nice and you don't know where people's heads are at.
Bingo.

Exactly!! Think of the sunscreen money savings - and so much more stylish/pleasant than the white grease paint look.
I was talking to a woman at SuperGoop who said that sunscreen sales was waaaay down but their cosmetic type products are up because people are masking up outside but they are all on zoom meetings and want to look good from the neck up.
ogsmile

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think it would be fair for someone to be concerned if you were being chatty (especially since they’re not going to know whether you’ve been vaccinated). One of the ways masks help is that they stop spittle, and that only works if the other party is wearing the mask. I think courtesy does at least demand that you’re polite if someone asks you (nicely) to put on a mask, though it’s also fair that you simply wouldn’t have had a mask under the circumstances, or that you wouldn’t have wanted to take off your helmet to put one on.

Courtesy doesn’t come with a government mandate. I’m not referring to you when I say this, since I wasn’t there nor do I want to judge, but too many people seem to have forgotten that over the past year.
I would say at a minimum 75% of skiers were not wearing masks. I had nothing around my neck to act as a mask because it was a beautiful day. I am always about being polite but I am not going to put a mask on when there is no mandate. If someone feels uncomfortable with it they can leave or figure something out that makes them feel less nervous. I'll always be polite, but when there are no mandates people should not expect someone to wear a mask.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
When I got there to pick up my part..just pick up..the first thing I said was that I was sorry for not having a mask. It costs nothing to be nice and you don't know where people's heads are at. Fortunately, they knew, as I do, that outdoor transmission risk is exceedingly small and my interaction was 1 minute long.

That's just us Canucks. Remember they transfer all that nasty to the Canada Goose for most of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online