• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, Am I the *******?

Am I the ******* in this situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I kinda had this situation at the beginning of the season at Loveland. One person was just a jerk when I said I was riding alone; the second said he understood, stated what LL's policy was (same as above two people not together may ride at opposite sides of the chair) but was gracious when I still said no. Pre-Covid, I wasn't a fan of riding the lifts with strangers and enjoyed the alone time. This is almost a Covid blessing for me.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I generally shift the conversation to place the decision in their hands. I'm a dentist w/ a Fed Clinic and tell pple I'm "high exposure"... You're taking a big risk riding w/ me. They usually back away immediately... It has worked every time so far.

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I kinda had this situation at the beginning of the season at Loveland. One person was just a jerk when I said I was riding alone; the second said he understood, stated what LL's policy was (same as above two people not together may ride at opposite sides of the chair) but was gracious when I still said no. Pre-Covid, I wasn't a fan of riding the lifts with strangers and enjoyed the alone time. This is almost a Covid blessing for me.
And after all you deal with at work, you deserve such a blessing

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Today as I ski past a group of people stopped in front of a gate, I said in a friendly (I thought) tone: "You're standing in front of a gate, guys." I didn't yell at them or say anything insulting or untrue.
When I came to the bottom, suddenly the father of the group turns uphill into me, and starts telling me I should watch my mouth.
I hope he spoiled his own day. He did not spoil mine.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As in, a racing gate? Gate in a rope line?

Either way, I'd probably just take a moment to explain (if the situation allowed) and then leave. Definitely not worth worrying about. My guess is they just misheard something.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
As in, a racing gate? Gate in a rope line?

Either way, I'd probably just take a moment to explain (if the situation allowed) and then leave. Definitely not worth worrying about. My guess is they just misheard something.
It's a couple of openings in a snow fence, near a SLOW sign the group was standing in front of. The ski patrol sets it up every day. Occasionally someone plows into one or more of the standards holding the fencing. It marks the entrance to the best run we have in NC, called Gunther's Way.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you don't want to share a lift with anyone just Fart loudly in the life line, solves the issue and you don't need to say a word.

With our current Covid Times, coughing might work better than a fart.

DbSki

Putting on skis
Skier
With our current Covid Times, coughing might work better than a fart.

Yep would work not doubt, but you would have to weigh the risk of getting hauled off to quarantine against following through with the fart, a risk either way.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
Today as I ski past a group of people stopped in front of a gate, I said in a friendly (I thought) tone: "You're standing in front of a gate, guys." I didn't yell at them or say anything insulting or untrue.
When I came to the bottom, suddenly the father of the group turns uphill into me, and starts telling me I should watch my mouth.
I hope he spoiled his own day. He did not spoil mine.

I'll agree with you. It's frustrating, but that seems to be human nature, I'm amazed how many people will stop in a doorway at work to talk to someone who was passing in the other direction.

Or people in the store that leave the shopping cart in the middle of the aisle, or in the thinnest spot around the Produce section.

Just seems natural that people don't think about people around them.

Last year at work, (retired now) when we all had to wear mask, (covid) I was amazed at the number of people that would stop in the hallways, (most aisles 8ft wide) one on either side and were talking, everyone passing had to walk between them. I began stopping, and asking them to please stand on the same side, 6ft apart so everyone else didn't have to walk between them.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There are two kinds of people in the world.

Those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't.

But seriously, my main division is between people who care about how what they do effects people they don't know and those who don't.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I did not read all 8 pages of this and only lightly skimmed but will comment on the original question from the OP.
Imo if the rules are 2 to a chair then sorry but you shouldnt expect to be alone. i personally would honor your desire but not if Im waiting on a significant enough of a line. That rule is what it is and you shouldn't expect to receive any special accommodation vs anyone else. Nor should anyone else be expected to sacrifice in order to accommodate your special wants.

You do have to take into account if everyone did the same then collectively the line would grow and no one wants any sort of significant wait time.

perhaps even the resort itself can instruct the lifties to allow singles up to a certain line wait/length and then enforce the 2 person rule. But now its asking for even more confusion, even more difficult times for the workers and more hard feeling and arguments, etc,etc.. In the end imo the rule says 2 then I must expect thats what i will get and if i feel too strongly about it, I dont have to go and can stay home or go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents on that.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not in general. I know the answer to that question. This concerns an incident today, and I want the group's opinion so I can modify my behavior if necessary. I went to Wachusett for my first day on skis this season. I boot up at the car and proceed to the lifts. Looking around, I notice that some people are riding the lift with other people. Some are riding alone. The lift line is single file and approximately 5 minutes long. I planned on riding the lift alone and proceed to do so. On two rides up, a solo person in front of me invites me to ride with them. I decline. On my last ride up, someone comes up to me and asks "Onesie?" I say yes, but I am riding alone. I hear some muttering about taking up more space than is allotted to me; and then, louder: "you are really being selfish." Flabbergasted and unwilling to engage in an argument, I say "Oh, OK."

After getting home, I checked Wachusett's website and it says:

• Capacity of lifts will be reduced to allow for physical distancing.
  • Guests will only be allowed on lifts with travelers in their party or as 2 singles on opposite sides; face coverings are required in the load area and riding the lift.

So the question is whether it is really impolite/selfish to ride alone on a chair when Covid cases are on the rise in Massachusetts. If so, I may have to further alter my plans for skiing this winter.
Absoluty not selfish. Everyone just needs to chill.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Coming from a resort where they are allowing single riders, I think no one should be forced to ride with someone who doesn't live in the same house with them. Period. I've been essentially locked up since last March, I'm not going to spoil things by screwing up now. I'm avoiding chairs with lines, too, because inevitably you'll get into tiffs the more people are waiting. Of course the terrain isn't is good, that why there's no lines. But it's that or stay home.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I rode alone the first few weeks but when holiday crowds came I thought I better chill and take a second single with me.
My first time the guy immediately took his mask off and started talking at me. Then took his hand out of his glove and offered to shake as he introduced himself. Friendly Texan. The second ride was a nice lady that was okay but wanted the bar down and wanted me to raise it. I’m not touching bars this year. Third ride was a young guy who sat right next to me on a quad. I told him to slide down and he took his mask down and slid down one space.
After the third I insist on riding alone. I’m never in a hurry and offer to let others go before me if there is confusion.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Absoluty not selfish. Everyone just needs to chill.
But it actually is selfish even if unintentional considering when and if the rules state 2 people. So Im not really sure who has to chill. If folks are waiting which can be the case especially with reduced lift capacity rules, then any single should not be expecting to be alone if that resorts rules dictate otherwise. I would rather go alone too. But if I were there I must play the hand dealt or I could stay home.
I personally wouldn't mind a relatively short lift line takes a few more minutes to allow lots of single riders. But you start growing that wait time to anything significant and the patience among the masses (myself included) begin to grow thin. No one likes to wait for anything anywhere. We are mostly all selfish with that. But Im willing to sacrifice some but not a lot. And many others may not want to sacrifice any more extra time at all.
If all singles on any mountain did the same thing there would be a lift line issue. The resort is trying to find a happy medium between respecting covid transmission within respectable reason vs longer lift lines and moving folks up the hill which is always a major part of the entire ski experience and business.
Of course the transmission is most important vs any wait time but we cant ever play that "safer" card (in this scenario) because then one could simply play theirs and imply that if we truly want safe then we probably shouldnt really be there interacting and skiing in the first place. . Im only implying thats the argument one could make in response to you possibly playing a "safe" card in such a debate.
And so, just who needs to chill? A person waiting in line may get annoyed by one refusing to go up as a 2. And although I wouldn't mind (if the line wasnt too long) that other person who may have less line patience than I do does imo have a right to wine about it unless the rules at that resort said otherwise. In this instance and if/when lines are grown longer than its the single rider who would need to chill if he/she is annoyed that they cant go up alone. Or as said,...dont be there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.