• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, Am I the *******?

Am I the ******* in this situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I rode alone the first few weeks but when holiday crowds came I thought I better chill and take a second single with me.
My first time the guy immediately took his mask off and started talking at me. Then took his hand out of his glove and offered to shake as he introduced himself. Friendly Texan. The second ride was a nice lady that was okay but wanted the bar down and wanted me to raise it. I’m not touching bars this year. Third ride was a young guy who sat right next to me on a quad. I told him to slide down and he took his mask down and slid down one space.
After the third I insist on riding alone. I’m never in a hurry and offer to let others go before me if there is confusion.
thats fine if/when there is no 2 person rule or minimal wait even while with a 2 person rule. But soon as wait times grow then youd have to follow suit. And try to deal respectfully with the other rider accordingly as needed. If no success and it just continues to be much too problematic for you then you can chose not to be there. Your insistence on riding alone (with due respect) does not grant you that right regardless your reasons. The only thing giving you that right is if the given resort dictates anyone who choses can ride alone.

I highly doubt every person you ride with will be problematic. i mean even if 50% of the folks were covid careless/reckless youd still make 5 of 10 lifts without issues and of course by using 50% im far over exaggerating. So your 3 for 3 scenario would be an anomaly. But it doesnt matter anyway. Your insistence on it still just doesnt work and is not relevant. Not picking on you at all here but just is what it is. Based from what you posted I understand where your coming from with this and why you say it. But youd still have to comply and if it doesn't work then you can choose not to be there. Just unfortunately sometimes is what it is.

Last edited:
TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not read all 8 pages of this and only lightly skimmed but will comment on the original question from the OP.
Imo if the rules are 2 to a chair then sorry but you shouldnt expect to be alone. i personally would honor your desire but not if Im waiting on a significant enough of a line. That rule is what it is and you shouldn't expect to receive any special accommodation vs anyone else. Nor should anyone else be expected to sacrifice in order to accommodate your special wants.

You do have to take into account if everyone did the same then collectively the line would grow and no one wants any sort of significant wait time.

perhaps even the resort itself can instruct the lifties to allow singles up to a certain line wait/length and then enforce the 2 person rule. But now its asking for even more confusion, even more difficult times for the workers and more hard feeling and arguments, etc,etc.. In the end imo the rule says 2 then I must expect thats what i will get and if i feel too strongly about it, I dont have to go and can stay home or go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents on that.
You have a very good point. That is: IF there was a mandatory 2 person to a chair rule, and IF there was a long line. The first was not posted anywhere and therefore was not clear to me, and the second did not exist. When this person came up to me I was at the end of a 5 minute lift line (approximately 8-10 people ahead of me). If you Consider this a long line, then I want to ski where you ski. I did not perceive this to be a long line, and she ended up riding in the chair behind me. Looking around, many people were riding solo and the lifties were not saying anything to change this. I have been back to the same mountain with much bigger lift lines - the lifties were asking each single if they would be willing to ride with someone and those people that said ‘no’ were accommodated.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But it actually is selfish even if unintentional considering when and if the rules state 2 people.
If the rules are 2 people, that is different, you shouldn't even ask to ride solo. Rules are rules.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Because it's so important to get up that hill a few chairs sooner even if the person you're forcing to ride a chair with a stranger turns out to be a long hauler the rest of their lives? Sorry, Goose, just like your insistence that you should be allowed to cross into a state to ski because that's where you want to go, once again you've displayed an immature selfishness that is mind-boggling. Frankly, I'm blocking your posts from now on because they wind me up too much.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If someone pulled their mask down and started talking in my face, I'd be OK with it. 15 minutes wouldn't happen because I'd just push them off the chair.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Because it's so important to get up that hill a few chairs sooner even if the person you're forcing to ride a chair with a stranger turns out to be a long hauler the rest of their lives? Sorry, Goose, just like your insistence that you should be allowed to cross into a state to ski because that's where you want to go, once again you've displayed an immature selfishness that is mind-boggling. Frankly, I'm blocking your posts from now on because they wind me up too much.

I havnt insisted anything here except to note (which I made 100% sure to mention) if there is a 2 person rule. I did not know realize it wasnt the case. My mistake there but i did mention that if it wasnt the case then it would be ok.
Ive also gone on to say that personally I wouldnt mind and also willing to wait longer for a person wanting to go alone even if there was a 2 person rule. How is any that selfish at all? Or immature? if anything its being understanding and unselfish.

Although hes blocking me and so not reading this, But to all others listening.

I just dont see where I was selfish and immature here at all.
I thought all Ive said was thought out pretty well and respectful conversation and was fair. The only thing I mistaken about was a 2 person rule thing.
But still i was fair, respectful and certainly not immature. I even said id accommodate it and wait longer than others would be willing for it. Where is that selfish and immature? Its the opsoite.
I guess if some these conversations that I have can offer some debatable input wind him up then he must be the immature one. I certainly dont do it to wind him up. Its just input is all. And its in part what a forum is about. Imo its why we are here and what makes it productive. I guess hes not capable of certain talk (especially debatable talk) without personal feelings or getting angry. Imo we should be able to do that while easily still maintaining a friendly atmosphere. But ok he can block me. Imo he'll just lose out on some good discussions.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the rules are 2 people, that is different, you shouldn't even ask to ride solo. Rules are rules.
Where is there a 2 person rule? Everywhere I've been the rule is ride with who you came with and the 2 people thing is optional if you are "comfortable".
I was mistaken with that rule and i thought we were talking about one refusing to go as 2 while it was mandatory to do so.
And fwiw I did mention it would then change things . That was in fact kind of the gist of my post. It was based on that difference.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have seen everyone be respectful of single riders and courteous to singles combiners. Better to have no singles line at all.

I've doubled up with a few strangers but i think everyone should have a choice and be treated fairly.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Which resort has a 2 minimum rule? I have been interpreting it as 2 MAXIMUM if you didn’t live with or come with the others.
Like @Sibhusky l have been avoiding the most crowded lifts even if I have a much longer, less comfortable ride or skip skiing some of the terrain I’d like. I ride by myself or only with one other person (occasionally 2 on a 6-pak) that I know & agrees to keep their face covering up. I think this is just the price we have to pay this season. It is what I expected & continue to expect this season. I have never been one to tolerate lines, inefficiency or waiting very well, this season has been a good lesson in patience for me.
Just grateful to be skiing at all this year!

Last edited:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
To be honest, I do not think what you did is impolite or selfish, but rather a bit silly/unnecessary. Sitting on the opposite end of the lift chair with another person in the air with the wind blowing is far less risky than waiting in line with a bunch of people for 5 minutes even if 6-foot distancing is strictly enforced. If you worry about the risk of sharing the chair with another single person, you probably should skip this season all together.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok I didnt know/realize that and thanks. But still the same issues here with her and myself I suppose.
Well, I dont have issue with her, more she does with myself. What can i say? Is what it is.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
To be honest, I do not think what you did is impolite or selfish, but rather a bit silly/unnecessary. Sitting on the opposite end of the lift chair with another person in the air with the wind blowing is far less risky than waiting in line with a bunch of people for 5 minutes even if 6-foot distancing is strictly enforced. If you worry about the risk of sharing the chair with another single person, you probably should skip this season all together.
I wouldnt disagree with that logic per se and dont think anything I said implied anything differently. In fact your last sentence I mentioned myself is what one might argue if the other chose to play a "safe" card as their argument.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I can’t argue with this at all!

I'm not sure about that. I am not sure if riding the chair with a covid positive would be an insignificant additional risk. Even if so how is it logical to accept the same return with more risk? Nothing to gain, everything to loose.

But you are right in that the lines are the worst and if there are no lines then doubling up is moot. I am picturing the guy with no cover and his little twerp with fleece below the nose or the lady who must have a very important phone call in line.

Almost convinced myself not to double up but my 2ply cotton has kept me alive for almost 10 months and i like the conversation.

Last edited:

Tahoma

Cascade Crud Mover
Skier
I don't think you're the @$$***. My experience so far this season at both A-Basin and Crystal Mountain (WA) is that folks out here are, in general, NOT being jerks. And that at least those two resorts are trying to accomodate singles while also getting folks on the lifts, and keeping them at opposite ends of the chair if they're not in the same group.

While I think that the chance of transmission on a chair lift is exceedingly low, I also think that people ought to be respectful of others' space and well being. In other words, don't be jerks.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so here are several different resorts with different lift rules.

Bklue mt PA-Single riders will be placed on our 4 and 6 person lift chair on opposite sides.
This of course (at the specific resort) would mean singles are going to be paired up whether we want to or not

Hunter MT NY-Guests will only be allowed on lifts with travelers in their party.

This resort you couldnt ride with anyone who isnt in your party so a single can only be alone even if technically they didnt mind sharing with another.

Camelback PA-Only parties that arrive together will ride together
On quad lifts, two singles may ride together if seated on opposite ends of the chair. On triples and doubles, singles must ride alone.
This would mean you couldnt ride together unless arrived together. But then says you may on the quad.

That is an issue imo because its worded around the idea of normally being a complete disaster of a zoo where folks are fighting to get up. And so its going to cause many folks to insist they will ride with you on the quad. This resort needs to clear that up much better in their rules.

MT Snow VT-Guests can ride with their related parties, and no one will be required to ride with someone they don’t know. To maintain physical distancing on our chairlifts, we will only be seating related parties OR
-Two singles on the opposite ends of a four-person lift
-Two singles or two doubles from the same party on the opposite ends of a six-person lift

This resort is leaving it your choice by saying they wont require you to ride with another. But then sort of contradictory they also go on to say they will be seating 2 singles on the 4 and 6 person lifts. I could see this also causing issues just simply due to its confusion. They need to make it more clearer to avoid problems. Youd be amazed how many people interpret things they way they want unless it is no more complicated than 1+1=2

Aspen/Snowmass CO- Gondolas and chairlifts can load with families and groups that are together. You will not be required to board a chairlift with someone you are not comfortable riding with. During peak times, we will try to accommodate your request but you may have to wait while we work through the long lines. With groups that are not family units or ‘together’ we will have at least one empty seat between all unrelated parties.
This resort is leaving it your choice. However is also noting to you that when its busy "you" may have to wait if you want to be alone.

So there we have 5 random resorts with sort of different guidelines/rules. Whats pretty amazing is that I didnt go searching but just simply picked whatever resorts first came to mind till I reached 5 of them. Whats amazing is that it ended up with sort of 5 different guidelines.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback PA-Only parties that arrive together will ride together
On quad lifts, two singles may ride together if seated on opposite ends of the chair. On triples and doubles, singles must ride alone.
This would mean you couldnt ride together unless arrived together. But then says you may on the quad.

That is an issue imo because its worded around the idea of normally being a complete disaster of a zoo where folks are fighting to get up. And so its going to cause many folks to insist they will ride with you on the quad. This resort needs to clear that up much better in their rules.

But that's not the way its is working. Nobody is being forced to ride with anybody and quite frankly I haven't heard any complaining about it either. I have skied pretty much solo so far this year, I have been politely asked and have asked politely several times if I would pair up. I do but I have also been refused by people who want to ride alone and I'm totally ok with that. All that said there is no doubt its contributing to much longer wait times and a different ski experience.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
But that's not the way its is working. Nobody is being forced to ride with anybody and quite frankly I haven't heard any complaining about it either. I have skied pretty much solo so far this year, I have been politely asked and have asked politely several times if I would pair up. I do but I have also been refused by people who want to ride alone and I'm totally ok with that. All that said there is no doubt its contributing to much longer wait times and a different ski experience.
but they dont state they would force you together so they shouldnt be.
They state only those who are with each other can ride together. And then state on the quad 2 singles "may" ride together. Which should mean only if you choose to.
But see thats why I mention they need to be clearer in their rules.

That said, Im very glad to hear (and even somewhat surprised) most folks are in your experiences cooperating with each other civilly. That is not something Id expect too much of at Camelback especially if talking weekends or holidays. That is an area (among and like some others in my experiences) where as in normal times the demographic especially on weekends is one in which lacks a bit too much in etiquettes, common courtesies, and respect. But LOL thats another story/topic.
None the less it is good to hear its been a respectful and peaceful effort going on there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online