• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So it begins - My first patrol job.

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is a follow on to https://www.skitalk.com/threads/joining-patrol-the-french-way.19811/ . This afternoon landed a Job at Romme (Nancy sur cluses). A community run ski hill with 5 lifts and 400m (1320ft) of vert. As this is run by the town hall, it makes me a French fedral employee!. I am officialy employed as a patroller, BUT I will mostly be a lifty, lift mantainance etc, etc. The head of operations does the same job as me + being in charge. Only 3 months, Christmas hollidays until the end of winter School holidays. 45-50 min commute. Starting small but should be relatively stress free and it gets me my foot in the door and I count as a Patroller, which has a few perks in France!

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just seen the pic you posted on Snowheads. Nice little hill - still trying to get my head round exactly where it is though

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For one Free ski pass in any ski resort in France - you need your pro card and pay slip.
And the babes, don't forget the babes!

Seriously though congrats. Your trip reports have always been second to none!

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
First day at work small crew who run lift ops patrol etc. Age varies form 20 to 70!
We have 3 Pomma's a rope tow and a Cable/handle tow.

Quite a view from the top

Top.jpg

The other main lift isn't to be snifed at either

Chavanne.jpg

The boss surprised us with a snack

PatrolLunch.jpg

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
First day at work small crew who run lift ops patrol etc. Age varies form 20 to 70!
We have 3 Pomma's a rope tow and a Cable/handle tow.

Quite a view from the top

View attachment 151631

The other main lift isn't to be snifed at either

View attachment 151632

The boss surprised us with a snack

View attachment 151633

Nice.

One of my kids is full time ski patrol. But no free passes at any resort in Canada. :( That's a good perk in France.

The snack was breakfast?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
First rescue - didn't expect ne this early, was half expecting to do none, 2020 they did 2 and 4 in 2019!

Just as I start taking down the signage and fencing at 4.15pm (we close at 4.30 as it's dark at 5).

12 year old snowboarder, very simple damaged (probably broken) wrist. Se was quite calm and would instantly stop sobbing when answering questions...had to keep talking. Massive vacuum spling thingy on her arm. Loaded her onto the rescue sledge and off down the hill.
She was happy to walk to mum's car. Mum was fine about everything...grandma less so.

Finished taking down signs in the dark!

Don't have any photos.....so here is yesterday's first light from the top saftey bar

wand-1024x576.jpg

TS
Idris

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
A few days ago, instead of working with Pascal my usual boss (he was at dentist). I got to work with Pierre, he is a retired municipal snowplough/excavator driver.

Pierre-576x1024.jpg

He lives a few 100m from the main lift, which his grandfather installed. He himself installad the longer flatter lift in 1981.

At the end of the day one of the saftey/derail detection pullies threw a bearing and started screaming. Once everyone had gone home we went to replace it.

Cablewheel-576x1024.jpg

Its the small rubber wheel on the end of the arm, usually running on the cable, we have it in the service position.
Working with Pierre, being old school and no nonsense, we just climbed the 8-10 m pylon in ski (touring) boots with no saftey gear (didn't even have my normal ski helmet) and changed the offending pully.

Downpylon-576x1024.jpg

It's a 2 man job and Pierre was up the pylon as fast as me, in fact, when we needed different sized spanners he went down to fetch. But as he sat astride the main pully to get one side of the mounting bolt, I had to hang out and one handed get the other side. I eventually ended up with a leg round the saftey rail (me on the outside of it) and both hands on the spanner.

https://www.alpinehike.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Downcable-576x1024.jpg[img]

An intersting view of the sunset.