• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, You’ve Never Skied Before

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't think of many outdoor sports that are less physically demanding than sliding around on a beginner hill on alpine skis. Sure if you struggle for many hours it will be exhausting, or if you want to take it to a very high level fitness can eventually become limiting. But it should not be an excuse to anyone who feel that they are unfit to not try skiing.
Still, to echo others, a student will do much better having regularly done at least modest exercise of some kind. In our school, I pretty regularly see students who are shockingly out of shape--and they seem to be concentrated in the computer tech industry. Again and again I get students with legs so weak that they can't get up after falling, without taking off their skis--sometimes even if I'm giving them a good pull and instructing them on which direction to move.

At the recreational level, good skiing is more about finesse than about great strength. But while receiving some great instruction from the trainers last season, I finally came to the point that I felt that my physical condition had become an important limiting factor on making progress. A milestone, I suppose. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given the way that rental ski boots fit (to use the word "fit" loosely), having a thicker (normal) sock that keeps their foot a little warmer doesn't seem so bad to me.
That may sometimes be the case, but I see a lot of students come out the rental shop with boots fitting snugly (as they should be). And of course many of them have put on thick socks, because they think that's the way to stay warm. And a fair number end up having problems with those thick socks cutting off their circulation. I've told many students to take off that second pair, or to take off the only pair they have on and put on their street socks, or to go to the shop and buy proper ski socks. And I've loaned socks when necessary. It's tough to teach a successful lesson to a student who's in pain and miserable.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Considering everything I did the first day I tried skiing (34 years ago at age 30) was totally opposite of the the OP suggests, it's amazing that I stuck with it! Hand me down boots (painful) and skis (inappropriately long), jeans, suede jacket, no lesson other than friends telling me what to do............on and on!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
onsidering everything I did the first day I tried skiing (34 years ago at age 30) was totally opposite of the the OP suggests, it's amazing that I stuck with it! Hand me down boots (painful) and skis (inappropriately long), jeans, suede jacket, no lesson other than friends telling me what to do............on and on!
For many, the first time skiing was like the first time we had sex. Sure, it was painful, embarassing, had the wrong equipement, and yes, we were alone, but we persevered and stuck with it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I humbly submit that if somebody isn't having fun at the end of "Day 1" then there won't be a "Day 3".

Thanks to the internet not being as prevalent in the '90s as it is today, I didn't realize there was such a thing as "ski socks" until I had been skiing for five or six years. Given the way that rental ski boots fit (to use the word "fit" loosely), having a thicker (normal) sock that keeps their foot a little warmer doesn't seem so bad to me.

If there was something thinner than ski socks, I'd wear them. I've thought about skiing sans socks to save my foot that 1mm of room in there.
I ski in knee high nylons for the first 5 or 10 days of skiing in new boots. That 'nth degree of thickness makes a big difference.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well ... that's not at ALL what I was thinking. If that helps any. In fact, I am just as likely (if not more so) to picture out-of-shape people as too skinny, lacking muscle tone. So, point taken, but that didn't even occur to me that the author "meant" that.
Of course it's not unique, but neither is it universal. Although clearly the amount of ink that little sentence of Mendieta's has produced ... I mean, just take him at face value, lol! don't go skiing while you're a weakling.
Intersting, I stepped away from the computer late yesterday and came back to a great discussion.

To the point of @SBrown and @Monique 's dialog, I experienced this first hand while teaching at Mt Rose.
When I encountered new skiers who struggled (painfully so) to get the hang of it, it was rarely someone who was overweight, but instead it was someone with sticks for legs and no muscle coordination. It was usually someone who was hyper mobile, almost rubber band like.
I'm betting these were folks who took a bus to their job, worked at a desk all day and took a bus home.

There is a need for some kind of muscle coordination to make those simple moves to get started.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Intersting, I stepped away from the computer late yesterday and came back to a great discussion.

To the point of @SBrown and @Monique 's dialog, I experienced this first hand while teaching at Mt Rose.
When I encountered new skiers who struggled (painfully so) to get the hang of it, it was rarely someone who was overweight, but instead it was someone with sticks for legs and no muscle coordination. It was usually someone who was hyper mobile, almost rubber band like.
I'm betting these were folks who took a bus to their job, worked at a desk all day and took a bus home.

There is a need for some kind of muscle coordination to make those simple moves to get started.

This is so alien to me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is so alien to me.
Monique, I wish I'd taken pictures of some of these "new skiers" Part (but not all) of their difficulty was that their skinny legs were too skinny to have any kind of control in rental boots. Some of them literally had legs that looked like you'd see in photos from starving kids in a third world country, yet they were well nourished and fine, just no muscle.

At least someone who was a bit overweight had a leg to fit in the cuff of a ski boot.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Monique, I wish I'd taken pictures of some of these "new skiers" Part (but not all) of their difficulty was that their skinny legs were too skinny to have any kind of control in rental boots. Some of them literally had legs that looked like you'd see in photos from starving kids in a third world country, yet they were well nourished and fine, just no muscle.

At least someone who was a bit overweight had a leg to fit in the cuff of a ski boot.

I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about! Although I'll admit that when I'm on a flat surface, getting up from a fall without taking a ski off is a pain. I'd much rather fall on a slope with some pitch.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about! Although I'll admit that when I'm on a flat surface, getting up from a fall without taking a ski off is a pain. I'd much rather fall on a slope with some pitch.
I wouldn't say that you don't know what you're talking about, but I think there is a culture that you're not familiar with. SanFrancisco is a vastly different culture than Denver/Boulder.
Keep in mind that @Mendieta lives in this area. He sees some of what I'm talking about.
And yes, its a pain getting up off a flat surface with skis on. How long has it been since you fell on such a surface? I'm betting its been a while.
And @Monique you at your least fit is still fitter than many at their highest level of fitness.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Except for the thread's title, what I am about to share has nothing to do with the current discussion. Sorry. Also, it should be noted that except for it being my home mountain, I am in no way associated with Lookout Mountain. Nonetheless,I think this promotion they are offering to never evers is excellent - particularly the free season pass!
LEARN TO SKI OR RIDE IN 3 FOR JUST $99!
LOOKOUT PASS EZ 1-2-3
It couldn’t be easier for a first-timer to Learn to Ski or Ride in 3 easy session for just $99!

You get:

• 3 Rentals (ski or board, boots & poles)
  • 3 Lessons
  • 3 Lift Tickets (1 Success beginner lift ticket & 2 all mountain lift tickets)
ALSO INCLUDEs: A GRADUATION BONUS OFFER!

FREE SEASON PASS (upon completion of all 3 lessons sessions), good for the remainder of the season, plus a Congratulatory Graduation Certificate worth 10% OFF storewide courtesy of Tri-State Outfitters!*

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And yes, its a pain getting up off a flat surface with skis on. How long has it been since you fell on such a surface? I'm betting its been a while.

Well, I mean, technically that last fall, right? ;-)

But I did fall last season - maybe the season before? - when I went for a jump on a flat transitional area. I felt like an upside down beetle. I had friends right behind me, so I just let them give me a hand.

So for any beginners reading - if you find it hard to get up from a fall with your skis still on, don't worry - you're in good company!

And @Monique you at your least fit is still fitter than many at their highest level of fitness.

Perhaps. I think genetics plays in here. "Strong German peasant stock" is how one of my friends describes both herself and me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Except for the thread's title, what I am about to share has nothing to do with the current discussion. Sorry. Also, it should be noted that except for it being my home mountain, I am in no way associated with Lookout Mountain. Nonetheless,I think this promotion they are offering to never evers is excellent - particularly the free season pass!
LEARN TO SKI OR RIDE IN 3 FOR JUST $99!
LOOKOUT PASS EZ 1-2-3
It couldn’t be easier for a first-timer to Learn to Ski or Ride in 3 easy session for just $99!

You get:

• 3 Rentals (ski or board, boots & poles)
  • 3 Lessons
  • 3 Lift Tickets (1 Success beginner lift ticket & 2 all mountain lift tickets)
ALSO INCLUDEs: A GRADUATION BONUS OFFER!

FREE SEASON PASS (upon completion of all 3 lessons sessions), good for the remainder of the season, plus a Congratulatory Graduation Certificate worth 10% OFF storewide courtesy of Tri-State Outfitters!*

Crystal Mountain Michigan had something similar to this a few years ago. I wonder if they still do it.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I could never learn to ski again at my current fitness level. And I'm definitely in the category of having to take my skis off to get up. I don't even bother to attempt it, the torque on my knees is too much. It's so much easier to ski when you are past the falling down stage.

A couple nights ago I was at Urgent Care (I'm fine) and told someone I ski five days a week during winter. They were surprised and I said, "I know it's hard to believe looking at me, but you don't need to be in shape to ski." But of course that only applies if you've been skiing a few decades as opposed to a few hours.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I could never learn to ski again at my current fitness level. And I'm definitely in the category of having to take my skis off to get up. I don't even bother to attempt it, the torque on my knees is too much. It's so much easier to ski when you are past the falling down stage.

A couple nights ago I was at Urgent Care (I'm fine) and told someone I ski five days a week during winter. They were surprised and I said, "I know it's hard to believe looking at me, but you don't need to be in shape to ski." But of course that only applies if you've been skiing a few decades as opposed to a few hours.
To that point...
Don't you think people who learn to ski on contemporary equipment have it easier?
Do you think you'd still be skiing like you do if equipment hadn't gotten better?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I put way too much oomph into my skiing. My goal is to get smoother and smoother, so that I can still (assuming all sorts of other things) ski in my 70s. I have 30 years to work on it ...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
To that point...
Don't you think people who learn to ski on contemporary equipment have it easier?
Do you think you'd still be skiing like you do if equipment hadn't gotten better?
The thought of returning to my Salomon F9's is terrifying. But then again, I haven't actually tried it. The ability to just turn by tipping the ski instead of whatever I used to do (how DID I turn them?) is wonderful. But, to your point, beginners are still falling and having to get up again and again. Their boots still hurt and their feet are still cold. They are still frustrated by the apparent ease with which everyone on the hill is moving except them. Props to anyone over thirty who takes it on.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Perhaps. I think genetics plays in here. "Strong German peasant stock" is how one of my friends describes both herself and me.

Of course it does. My family gets skinny arms and legs when we are unfit.