• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Software for a coach to share videos to the athletes?

Marten

Booting up
Skier
Is there someone who can recommend any software for distributing videos for me as a ski racing coach?

The features I need:

Share videos and tag them, so the athletes can only see their videos.

Filmed on a video camera, not phone, but distributed too the athletes on their cell phone.
Slowmotion

That are cheap (Dartfish to expensive).

Like Hudl Tecnique, but must be working both for Iphone and Android.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Coach's eye, but setup allows everbody to see eachothers videos. Nice setup however, very easy to use.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
We have used Hudl to do exactly that

Great for filming, watching in slow mo and providing feedback. More importantly designed for coaches to share this with Athletes. I took a skills clinic a few years back where they used this and it was incredibly effective.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've been putting videos on Google drive (after renaming them, e.g. SmithJ-run1, for easy access to a particular athletes' video); they can then download them and use a variety of video apps to slowmo, if they so choose. Well, the athletes can, at least—I'm not sure that I'd bet the parents can.

It's not as slick as some of the purpose-designed systems, but it's relatively cheap and straightforward. The only tricky step in my workflow is running a command-line tool to strip audio before uploading, as some of the other coaches on the hill aren't always great about situational awareness and not-parent/athlete-friendly conversations.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are a lot of online skiing videos (e.g. Youtube), that I'd to watch using an app like Sprongo or OnForm to slow down and scrub frame by frame. At one point Coaches Eye supported importing video from Youtube but they stopped supporting that feature sometime in 2020, and as far as I understand Sprongo and Onform also do not support that feature.

Does anyone know of a video analysis app like these that allows you to view and scrub through online videos?

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Look into V1 software. It was originally designed for golf pros but we have been using it at my home resort. Our Clinician will shoot video of us after a one on one session. Each instructor has their own electronic locker that only they can access. The clinician can add verbal feedback as part of the review. Also, this can be shot with a camera or a phone. I have used it with my clients, my high school team and I used it with my youth baseball team a few years back. Slo-mo replay was very clear and it was great for working with the pitchers.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Karl. I installed the app and gave it a try. Looks like some nice features. I think what I have learned is that to use a Youtube video in any of these sports video analysis apps, one has to download the Youtube video and then import it into the app. But to download the Youtube video, the legal way to do that requires a Youtube Premium subscription which is about $12/month.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Thanks Karl. I installed the app and gave it a try. Looks like some nice features. I think what I have learned is that to use a Youtube video in any of these sports video analysis apps, one has to download the Youtube video and then import it into the app. But to download the Youtube video, the legal way to do that requires a Youtube Premium subscription which is about $12/month.
I just checked my phone to see which version I was using two years ago.. I have V1 Pro. I was able to record and send right from my phone photo library without downloading the video file. If you are using a camera, download the video file to your hard drive or to the cloud and send from there. Skip the Youtube..

Karl

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

PC must be the right spec. If not right then the record button will be disabled.

Attachments

• 1653860506387.png
    1653860506387.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 1

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I was not clear in what I would like to do. I would like to use a video analysis app to view the many videos of high level skiers on Youtube, like this one of JF Beaulieu on Youtube , and slow down the video and see frame by frame what his legs, hips and skis are doing. The source video is on Youtube and none of these apps appear to support viewing Youtube video. One solution seems to be to for me to download the video from Youtube and import it into the app, and that requires a Youtube Premium subscription for $12/month to download videos. The solution posted by Geepers above also works.

Last edited:

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@geepers thank you for this. I just tried it out and was able to do a video screen capture, which saves to my local drive, then move it to my cloud drive and import it into the sports video analysis app from my phone. Thank you, this works for what I am trying to do.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@geepers thank you for this. I just tried it out and was able to do a video screen capture, which saves to my local drive, then move it to my cloud drive and import it into the sports video analysis app from my phone. Thank you, this works for what I am trying to do.

You will likely find that the captured vid is a very large file. Which is typically inconvenient. There may also be footage you don't want at the beginning and end. There's a free app called avidemux that can be used to process the captured vid - cut out any footage you don't want and reduce the file size considerably without really affecting quality. Fairly simple to use although may take a bit of experimenting with output settings to get what you want.

Sponsor